Print Story Perspecitve Glass
Hardware
By Gedvondur (Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 12:37:31 PM EST) apple, fans, fanboys, steve jobs, farts (all tags)
I get occasional case of vast irritation from Apple fanatics.

I was running my normal scan over digg.com when I came across the following headline:

"8 CORE Mac Pro OFFICIALLY announced by Apple!!"

It was followed by the teaser text:

"8-core or quad-core Mac Pro workstation Meet the latest addition to the Mac Pro family: The world ’s first 3.0GHz, 8-core Intel Xeon-based Mac Pro. Consider the bar officially raised."

Now, I don't have any substantial problem with Apple.  Their machines and OS make people happy so for the most part it's all good with me.  I was even pleased to see that the transition to x86 and the popularity of the iPod had put some real fire back into Apple.  OSX is a nice OS.  It's all good.

Except for the fan boy.  I'm getting tired of the hysterical Apple fan boy.  A new 8 core Mac Pro is arguably a good thing, for anyone that needs that kind of CPU muscle.  But is it really news that requires this level of hyperbole?  Apple is on the Intel hardware path these days.  To see what Apple is going to do, you only have to look at the Intel road map.  Just like Dell or HP.

I know it’s a cool new workstation.  I'm happy for Apple, and the people at Disney/Pixar that need that kind of workstation.  This machine is for the pro market.  Period.  Rare is the bird that will have this particular box at home.  Considering it’s a niche market product, why all the screaming and shouting about how "cool" it is?

I imagine IBM/HP/Dell will all produce one in the same category, with similar features if they haven't already.  Perhaps the Apple unit will even be a smidge better.  But is it really NEWS?  The iPhone was news.  New product, new space, in theory, revolutionary new design.  But this?  Please.

Apple fan boys, you all need to take a serious step back.  Cool stuff happens in technology every day.  Some very cool stuff comes from Apple.  But let's face it.  Steve Jobs farts are not holy effluvium that should be captured and inhaled with reverence.

Let's keep the hype on Apple at least a LITTLE relevant if we could please?

< Black Thumbnail | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Perspecitve Glass | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
futures by aphrael (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 01:44:21 PM EST
Rare is the bird that will have this particular box at home.

For a few years at least. Then the pros will have 32-core boxes, and the 8-core will be commonplace.

Well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 05:34:53 AM EST
I certainly can't argue with that.  However, I was speaking in the context of the now.

Gedvondur
"If that's not irony, I'll drink a kitten." --Fleece

The ads piss me off too by alien zero (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 01:52:21 PM EST
The only good mac is a dead mac.

I saw a funny quote yesterday by debacle (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:03:32 PM EST
That made me laugh.

(Paraphrased)

"OSX is so strange sometimes. I'll lock up everything but my terminal until I reboot. It could be minutes, it could be days. How freaking weird is that?"

Compare that to what would happen in the Windows case.

"OMG, Windoze sucks! Why can't MICRO$HIT get thier act together and release a stable OS!?!"

It was bash by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 12:32:53 AM EST
I sent it to WTB as she's a rabid Macaddict.  Linky

You know it's getting bad... by spacejack (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:21:42 PM EST
When really the only downside of where I work are the Apple users constantly shrieking about the latest Apple news, and put-downs of anyone who uses a PC.

They're just freaking computers. If they're so great, why do their users seem to have such insecurity issues?

I do work, I use an XP laptop and an old linux box to do it. I don't need to make a big fuss about it and shout out praises of Microsoft or Ubuntu every half hour.

Is anyone else in my situation? Any tips?

I do my work on a mix of by cam (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:19:47 PM EST
a WinXP laptop (clients), a Win2k PC and an OSX laptop.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Using my Mac(s) by yankeehack (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:56:50 PM EST
gets me all tingly in the special place. Is that so wrong??!?!

The iBrator? by spacejack (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 04:22:00 PM EST

hey, watch it! by yankeehack (4.00 / 3) #8 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 05:05:43 PM EST
it's the closest thing I can get to a Mac guy doing me.
LOL! by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 05:33:17 AM EST
This thread made me laugh out loud.  Thanks!

Gedvondur
"If that's not irony, I'll drink a kitten." --Fleece

Who dumped who? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 07:13:29 AM EST
Rhetorical question.

I envy people by fleece (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 10:13:18 PM EST
that get excited about stuff. I want to meander amongst stalls in the bazaar and be mesmerised by the trinkets too.

Mac people are Shiny, Happy people, is the upshot. I'm not one of them but, god, I'd like to spend Christmas in a deck-chair, on the beach of their soul.

Maybe we should blend every last fucking Mac lover into a big fat mushy, pulpy cocktail, and drink a snifter of them, as a tonic, each day at noon. That would solve your problem too.

That is a brilliant comment by Phage (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 11:09:23 PM EST

Damn, my brother by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 05:32:18 AM EST
Poetic and violent!

I got nothing against the average mac user.  Most of them are fine people, who while pleased with their systems don't make it the focus of their lives.

Gedvondur
"If that's not irony, I'll drink a kitten." --Fleece

I was thinking of buying them all by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #15 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 06:41:16 AM EST
prayer mats and pointing them in the direction of Cupertino.

Perspecitve Glass | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback