Print Story "But still nothing is resolved"
By Cloaked User (Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:25:20 AM EST) (all tags)
So appropriate on so many levels.

Bored bored bored
I had a client demo this morning. Based on the previous one I had with this client, I was expecting it to go something like this:

1 I demo the work I've done so far, with a brief discussion of each thing
2 This is followed by a brief discussion of what to do next
3 This is repeated for the other guy
4 There's a general wrap-up at the end
5 Job done, we're out of there in maybe 90 minutes

In actual fact, just my bit took 2 hours as the five-strong client team insisted on going off on tangents, discussing things in minute detail, rehashing old ground, etc. They're still in there even as I type this - after 2 hours or so of the other guy's bit (which I have little or no involvement with) the project manager took pity on me and suggested that I leave. I dread to think how long they're going to be in there, they were only about half way through the list of questions the other developer had compiled...

Way beyond driven
Operation Sort My Life Out is progressing quite well. I took advantage of some of the useless time in the meeting to compile a to-do list. None of it is exactly ground-breaking stuff, but it's good to have it written down; I work best by breaking big tasks up into manageable components, and tackling each of them.

I got some more painting done last night. It's relatively slow going, as I've not even finished priming the bannisters yet. I just can't do more than a couple of hours a night though; the fumes get to me a bit as it is. Still, hopefully I'll be able to make better progress at the weekend, and at least I'm getting it done at long last.

But still, nothing is resolved
Spoke to $girl briefly last night, so at least I know she's not just avoiding all contact. On the other hand my one slightly oblique reference to Things was ignored. On the gripping hand, she was knackered and went to bed pretty soon after coming online (it was getting late).

So; inconclusive. Definitely keeping my options open, as I know what my instincts are telling me. They're rusty though, and I'm a born pessimist, so maybe all is well after all...

Let the good times roll
On the plus side, I'm meeting up with a friend for drinks tonight. (Readers with a long memory will know her as the girl I had a brief thing with shortly after splitting from my ex) It'll be good to have a night out; I just hope that she doesn't expect a repeat performance. We've kept in loose contact since, and the last I knew she had a boyfriend. However she has made reference to there being some sort of a problem, although with what I don't know. Still, one of my main topics of conversation will inevitably be $girl, so even if that is on her mind she should take the hint...

Re-reading that I sound so big-headed; I don't mean to, it just wouldn't be the first time things have been hoped for. Admittedly though no such hope was in evidence last time we met.

Speaking of meeting up with friends, I'm due to meet CR¹ for lunch tomorrow, which should be good. I was going to meet Chinese Girl tomorrow night, but she's had to rearrange as her project deadline hasn't been extended. On the plus side, that means that it's only one night that I'm not going to be doing any decorating, rather than two in a row - gotta keep the momentum up.

1 I really ought to think of a better name for her, she may be C but she's not been an R in a long time...

< on sucky pre-baby stuff | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
"But still nothing is resolved" | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Inappropriate actions by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:45:26 AM EST
With inappropriate people, at inappropriate times, after a break-up... Reminds me of a diary I should write.

Oh, we've all been there by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 07:12:19 AM EST
Some more often than others, mind. Still, it's a learning experience. (Except that I never seem to learn...)

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
She's just not into you by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:54:19 AM EST

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 07:11:17 AM EST
She certainly was (or seemed to be) before we met, but I think the meeting has tipped the balance the other way.

Ah well, plenty more as the saying goes. I'd just like to know for definite one way or the other - I like her enough not to just cut and run now if I'm just misinterpreting things.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Daft question... by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 07:24:53 AM EST
Have you asked her out again?

That's a great question. by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 12:39:21 PM EST
The daft part would be if the answer is "no".

How many hints must I drop by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:42:01 PM EST
Before I assume that no further interest is shown?

No, I haven't said "Hey, you wanna see $film on $day?". I have said "... I'd love to meet up again soon" (... replied to, that ignored) and "(in so many words 'so what did you think of me')" (ignored).

My next step is to say something like "Hey, I'm free on $day if you are, I'd love to meet up - maybe go see $film (she mentioned)?" or possibly even "Look, my turn to be blunt - I really like you and would like to make this work, but if you're not into it then that's fine, just tell me and hopefully we could be friends because you're really cool".

Ah, fuck it. I've had too much to drink to think about this rationally. (But hah! I can still spell!)

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

The language is... by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #15 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 12:27:21 AM EST
A bold unequivocal question: "Would you like to see film $X on $Y day?"

If she's "love to but busy on $Y how about $Z day instead?" you're golden.  If she says she's busy on that day but doesn't offer an alternative date then she's just not interested; back off for a week and see what she does.

Also typing is an imprecise method of communicating, especially IM where you often don't have the time to think.  Call her and have this chat and you should get a better idea of where her head's at.

/Uncle Breaker.

I agree with one exception by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 02:05:10 AM EST
especially IM where you often don't have the time to think

I generally find I have far more time to think on IM than I do when speaking; 30 seconds or so of silence in IM is nothing. 30 seconds or so of silence while speaking is an eternity...

But yeah, a definite suggestion of $activity on $day is the way to go, and I concur with your analysis of the potential answers.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Go to it my man! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 02:27:25 AM EST
Also, if you can rehearse the conversation in advance with likely scenarios already played out, then you're at an advantage on the phone...

New name for CR by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 01:44:31 PM EST

Towel Girl?

DFJ?
Why not? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:28:17 PM EST

Why? (n/t) by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:42:49 PM EST
Don't answer that.

(I said n/t, why are you even reading this bit?)

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Well, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:46:29 PM EST
at least your loyal fans would know who it referred to. It may even get Rogerborg back to crow at us.

He's gone, man by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 02:58:43 PM EST
We don't leave anyone behind, but sometimes they make us.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
<sniff> by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:18:19 PM EST
I suppose one day Scotland will reign true, and a new curmudgeon will come up to take his place and all will be as it was.

He's still around I think by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 10:05:13 PM EST
I've seen comments from the Rogerborg account on Bystander's blog and slashdot over the last few months. He just doesn't love us any more.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.