Print Story ....Batin'!
By alprazolam (Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 12:34:30 PM EST) women, food, sports (all tags)
just sorta feel like writing one of these today, for no particular reason.

so I guess I'll start with the juicy stuff. Went down to Austin a couple weekends ago. My buddy was celebrating his birthday Saturday, but I went Friday so we could catch ATHF. It was pretty much what I expected...sorta like a long episode, or a couple of them, kinda mashed together. Was funny but even stupider than the TV show. I got to eat a "broodwich" sandwich, which was actually pretty good. I wish the movie'd had a little less of the christmas future robot because I can't understand half of what he said.

Saturday night the doctor came up with a couple of her doctor friends. They came straight to the bar, we had gone out earlier for sushi at Sushi Sake, which was pretty good. I really like escolar, delicious and cheaper than the overpriced o-toro. Anyway we hung out at Mugshotz all night and since my boy had sent out an email proclaiming it to be his birthday celebration, at least 30 people showed up. Probably more...we had the entire patio taken over at one point. It was a ton of fun, I talked to a bunch of different people for half the night and ended the night talking to the doctor. She told me to come back and stay at their hotel room, so even though it was all four of us in the same room, it was a lot of fun. Man she's a fun chick. Lusty, is that the word? Not that she's not attractive but all that doesn't seem to interest me as much as most people...but when she's into it, it's all worth it. It's nice being in shape too because I never really tire out or anything. Yea, skinny women are totally overrated. Give me an hourglass figure any day of the week. I love those childbearing hips.

So we finished off the weekend at Taqueria Arandas #3 Sunday afternoon, only the best restaurant in the history of the world. I can absolutely not get enough of that place. The al pastor burrito tasted like such an indulgence. I got some lengua tacos on the side because I wanted to try them, I think I actually like lengua a little more than barbacoa, although barbacoa is good in a burrito.

So on the subject of food I've been eating out and cooking different stuff as much as possible. There's a new sushi place just down the road and I ate there twice for lunch this past weekend. Nothing fancy and I just ate rolls, but it's cool to have a place like that around. Plus I spent like half an hour chatting with the chef Sunday which was cool although weird. Chatting with people who don't speak fluent English always makes me a little uncomfortable. I had some nice copper river salmon last night, which I didn't think was better than any other wild caught salmon I've ever had, but it all definitely beats the farm raised stuff. I've been hitting up the farmer's market in Dallas and also made it out to a barbecue joint called Red, Hot, & Blue. The dry ribs were pretty solid, the sausage was decent and the brisket was a little weak. I have a massive list of places to try and I still want to keep trying to cook new things. I did come up with a great way to cook spinach: heat peanut oil HOT in a wok just until it smokes, dump in the roughly chopped, already salted spinach and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, remove from heat and finish with just a bit of sesame oil, after the wok's cooled a little bit.

I've been reading the 5th book in the newish drow series, Annihilation. It's actually not too bad, for what it is. Next up is Kerouac's On the Road, the first and only book my little brother ever read of his own volition. The fact that he read a book without having to utterly amazed everybody in my family. The kid's always hated books. I know there's a lot of books I'd like to read but I have a tendency to forget them and then I end up back with the schlocky fantasy crap I seem to be addicted to.

So work has been frustrating and stuff but that's nothing new. Basically, it's just sad that I'm still doing what I'm doing. But I just don't have any desire to make it a priority in life to learn new stuff and go do all this EE stuff. I'd rather cook, workout, watch sports, yada yada.

Speaking of, had to watch the Stars lose to Vancouver the other night. Man those fans were lovin that game and who can blame them. That leaves the Mavs for D-town, hope they don't let us down. I'm not ready to jump ship after they lost game 1 to Nellie's Warriors, but they need to get things going tonight. Mavs - Pistons...I'm hopin.

I watched Idiocracy this weekend. A mildly amusing movie. Watchable at the least, but hardly great. Had a couple good lines. Loved it when he knocked on the lawyer's door and he just yells out "batin".

Ok that's pretty long. Back to my boring ass job.

< Breaking News | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
....Batin'! | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
batin' by cam (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 12:40:49 PM EST
I didn't get it until later, but he pulls his pants down when he goes to sit again, as the lounge chair has a toilet in it. I connected the dots, as every time he got up you heard a flushing sound.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

On the Road is great by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 12:52:04 PM EST
I hope it doesn't make you quit your job and head to Cali.

Mugshots? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 02:06:03 PM EST
I know those dudes.  They run a couple of decent bars.  The Hideout (north Austin near Parmer + MoPac) is my fav right now.

They're the ones what brought Powers Gold Label to bars in Austin.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

Taqueria Arandas by theboz (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:20:51 PM EST
Is that the same as the Taqueria Arandas that is in Houston? If so, they're pretty horrible in my opinion. Low quality tex-mex garbage, which unfortunately is all too prevalent here. Fortunately for us we found a decent place to get al pastor tacos, but we've still not found a place in the entire Houston area that can even beat Chipotle in terms of authenticity, which is pretty bad.
- - - - -

i doubt it by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 26, 2007 at 03:16:43 AM EST
i think there are a couple of them in austin but i don't know that they're in houston. unless they claim to be "Jalisco style". tough to beat authentic freshly made flour tortillas imo.

It's in Houston and Dallas by theboz (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Apr 26, 2007 at 05:55:11 AM EST
As well as a few other places, but I didn't see Austin listed on their site. Also, flour tortillas are not Jalisco style, but rather more frequently used to the north in places like Sonora (where the best burritos come from, IMO.) At least here in Houston, decent freshly made flour tortillas are not difficult to find. It's good corn tortillas that are harder to find. Most places use the kind you get at the grocery store which taste like the corn flour and crack apart.
- - - - -

ahh, different places by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Apr 26, 2007 at 07:24:51 AM EST
i think the one you're talking about is "taqueria*s*" arandas, and i'm talking about "taqueria" arandas. i don't know about flour tortillas being jalisco style, just that #3 calls their food "authentic jalisco style".

i can imagine good corn tortillas are hard to find, since they pretty much suck. i would imagine that even the best corn tortilla falls short of a decent flour tortilla. they're too dense and cardboard tasting for me, i don't like the flavor or mouthfeel. they do fry up just fine for taco shells and tortillas but i don't like them much otherwise.

It's hard to describe good corn tortillas by theboz (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 26, 2007 at 07:35:05 AM EST
However, they are normally fairly thin, the taste is not harsh and cardboard-like, and they aren't chunky. They're not too different from flour tortillas, but at the same time they give a better overall taste for tacos. It's hard to explain.
- - - - -

i like money by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 05:02:48 PM EST

You can't handle my complete attention.

....Batin'! | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback