Print Story Things You Cannot Do In Exchange 2007:
By blixco (Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 06:45:15 AM EST) Exchange Server, Microsoft (all tags)
A definitive guide that will grow over time.

Microsoft Exchange 2003 was perfectly OK.

Which is why Microsoft released Exchange 2007.

Things you cannot do in Exchange 2007:

* Add more than one user at a time.
* Add more than one existing Active Directory user at a time.

Let's examine the consequences of point #2: if you have an active directory domain with more than, say, 100 users, you still have to add their mailboxes one at a time.  This is a 6 click operation (accepting all defaults) or a 300 character command line for each recipient.

* Migrate from anything other than Exchange 2003 or Lotus Notes.

Does anyone use Lotus Notes?  And if they do, do they really want to migrate to Exchange?  The answer to both of these is no.  Also note that migrating from a capable open-source IMAP server to Exchange 2007 is not possible, but migrating from Exchange 2007 to Postfix is.

* If you have an Exchange 2003 server, you cannot do an "in place" upgrade to 2007.

This means: you need new hardware for your Exchange 2007 server, regardless of how new your Exchange 2003 server may be.  Also note that some people are using a provisional "trial" copy of Exchange 2003 as an intermediate step for migration: they install 2003, migrate, then plan to upgrade to 2007.  However....

* You cannot upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 without having two to three servers and a new set of disaster recovery tools.

This list will grow over time.

< on whining | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Things You Cannot Do In Exchange 2007: | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
script it by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:02:30 AM EST
doesn't exchange have that goofball power shell dohickey ? I recall one of our product teams doing a lot of crap to make sure they 'played nice' with the power shell in Exchange.

Or use Perl/Python/ whatever by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #4 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:20:57 AM EST
"a 300 character command line for each recipient." certainly would be scriptable.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Or, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:45:43 AM EST
the vendor could supply a tool that does this, what with them having said tool in the previous 4 releases.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat
But then $employer wouldn't need people by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 11:24:41 AM EST
of your caliber.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Which works out by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 03:53:20 PM EST
since they don't have any!
---------------------------------
It does by blixco (4.00 / 3) #8 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:47:47 AM EST
have that powershell thing.  But if I wanted a complete, full-featured, script-able CLI, I'd have stuck with postfix on debian.
---------------------------------
My current paycheck provider uses Lotus Notes. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:07:32 AM EST
I don't want to migrate to Exchange. I just want to jab a heated stick in my eye.

The Wife's work by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 4) #5 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:41:55 AM EST
Also uses Lotus Notes. They also have ten Macs, for which they have a dedicated Mac tech, who refuses to work with Windows in any capacity, who takes up one of the three tech jobs they have staffed. I would like to take the IT Director job there and just take a (figurative in these paranoid times) flamethrower to the place.

I'm glad I'm not on the server team by theboz (4.00 / 3) #3 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:08:12 AM EST
This would be enough to get me to convince the management to not use Exchange 2007. Be sure to do a cost analysis for putting the system in place, including purchasing two new top end servers, hiring temp workers to manually type in each name one by one and set up the accounts, and bringing in Microsoft's consulting group to help you on the technical side. Add in your full time salary and half the I.T. staff as testers for at least one month, and anyone else you can think to bring in, and present the results of that to your management.
- - - - -
Heh by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:19:39 AM EST
We still use Groupwise at work, if you can believe that, but there are rumblings that we'll be moving to Exchange at some point in the near future. Needless to say we're not looking forwward to this, but since Novell seems bound and determined to ignore GW so hard that their support documents are written in Sanskrit on sandstone tablets, in the long run it may be the best thing to do.

I just can't wait for those support calls though:

"What do you mean, Exchange corrupted my 10 gig mail archive?"
"The Address Book icon within the Calendar View - Day Only is 2 centimeters to the left of where it used to be in Groupwise: FIX IT!!!!"
"What do you mean, I can't set my email password to 'password' anymore?"