Print Story on whining
By clock (Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 06:41:35 AM EST) (all tags)
there was no time for the clock this weekend.

friday night was the usual...sort of.  we had a little "date" at the house of good salads.  that was nice.  i threw back a glass or so of wine for the little one (letting stacky have a sip to satisfy her tastebuds) and then we shopped.  this was to be our weekend of meal preparation, so it was a pretty long list.  in the end we dropped under $200 for two months worth of entrees.  the best part?  it was "found" money.  that is, a good monkey bonus kinda thing for busting my ass before the holidays.

upon arriving home, we fired up sky captain and the world of tomorrow.  why that movie didn't do better is a mystery to me.  i mean, huge robots with skulls on their chests?  fuck off!  that's what EVERY movie should be.  hell, if the BSG season finale had been like that, i would have been one happy camper!

so on saturday i got up and made breakfast for my dearest and only: waffles, bacon and scrambled eggs.  we had a leisurely breakfast, watched our hour of cooking pr0n on pbs and then hit the kitchen.  poor stacky didn't last.  she was napping on the couch after a couple of hours.  five hours after starting, i was done.  it was tiring work that will save time and money in the long run, but it took far longer than i had prepared for mentally.  we had some pizza made from bits and pieces of leftovers and suddenly it was time to crash.  stacky fell asleep on the couch while i noodled with some musical items on my laptop.  nothing was accomplished, but i got to mess around with some stuff, so it's something.

sunday was...hell in a bucket.  i seem to have acquired my father's disease and can no longer sleep in past 8 am.  so i got up, started some bread, baked some biscuits for breakfast and made some more weird noises on the lappy.  stacky woke up, we ate and then she went back to bed for some hot napping action that didn't happen.  so she tried to convince me to go shopping with her.  i was hesitant.  then her mom stopped by to show off her new car and they wound up heading out to get some tops for stacky.

i was left to my tasks.  i started some laundry, hit the grocery store, changed the oil in the tdi and then cleaned out he freezer.  you know, the one that was filled with 200 pounds of spoiled beef marinading in about 6 inches of blood and drippings?  the smell defies description.  i didn't gag or puke though, so i'm ready to change diapers i guess.

after letting the streets run red with the blood of the innocent (or so it appeared), i showered, baked chocolate chip cookies for lunches, finished the laundry and sat down with a cup of tea for about 15 minutes before stacky got home.  following that, we had dinner, enjoyed a leisurely bath (i love big bathtubs) and pretty much crashed.

sometime in the night, the dog decided that she was going to tempt fate.  she rang the bell to go out around midnight.  i let her out.  about 2 hours later, she did it again.  i was pretty sick of that shit, so i clipped her nails.  she hates that.  a lot.  nevertheless, she woke me again around 3-ish.  i don't think she was sick or anything...mostly she was just fucking with me (paranoia).  so my total sleep for the night is a negative number.  this morning, as we ate breakfast and the dog was laying on her futon, i called her over.  i made her sit with us and follow me around all morning.  why?  because i am the tyrant and i make the rules.  what did it teach her?  nothing.  but it made me feel better to know she wasn't lazing about her little couch while i was trying to force myself to tie my boots.  does this make me petty?  perhaps.  but it must be reinforced that i am in charge.  because i have thumbs.

i know that i accomplished a lot this weekend.  many tasks were completed.  but i don't feel like i was productive.  now i'm feeling wasted and can barely muster up the strength to tell people to leave me alone.  not a banner day for the clock.  top it off with stacky having a bad pregnancy day and we have an amazing start to the week.

thus endeth the whine.

< Lowlands | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on whining | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Good dog! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 06:55:24 AM EST
She's preparing you for the kid!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i thought about that for a second last night. by clock (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:09:25 AM EST
then i got pissed and clipped her nails.  cuz fuck that.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

that's what i told him this morning by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:32:33 AM EST
back when she was a 7-week-old pup, she would wake up every 2 hours and howl (which was really cute) because she either had to go to the bathroom, or already went to the bathroom in her crate.  that lasted for a full month - then she could finally hold her bladder through the night.

yep, just preparation.

the only downside for clock right now is that it's so freaking difficult for me to get up and get out of bed, i just wake him up to take care of her.

Our dog is a spoiled jerk that way by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #2 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 06:56:52 AM EST
I am the one most likely to get off the couch and let him out, or check his food and water, or give him a treat, or be able to read his canine mind when he gets that anxious "I want something but I do not know what it is, get it for me or I will start barking louder" look, and boy if we shut him out of our bedroom (since he's been dispossessed of his usual sleeping room since the new cat is barricaded in there) because we can't stand his panting all night long does he get persistent with the door scratching.

But he is big, loud and protective, and already has one rat to his credit.

God luck with the food thing, we found a few homemade meals from friends and relatives was a great help in those first few weeks where all you want to do is hold the baby and marvel at how much a such a tiny thing can turn your world upside down.

yeah... by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:19:48 AM EST
...i was trying to sneak a catnap before dinner last night and she licked my face to wake me up instead of hitting the bell while stacky was in the kitchen practically next to her.

i need to remind her that i am not her helper monkey.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

what did i tell you your first week here? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:44:49 AM EST
that you were setting a bad precedent.

hate to say it, punkin, but you haven't done much over the last year to not be her helper monkey.  why doesn't she ask me to do stupid stuff?  she knows I won't.

ah, the roles of mom and dad!   ;)

U R teh 3v1l! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:05:42 AM EST
Go get clock a helper monkey. After all, blixco says everyone needs a helper monkey!

helper monkey gestating away, SIR! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #23 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:08:42 AM EST

Ummmm. Damn. That's not what I meant. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:17:22 AM EST
/me looks at floor and shuffles feet...

And my weekend by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:02:23 AM EST
So there!

i'm surprised... by clock (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:22:14 AM EST
...we didn't pass each other on the way up and down the mountain of "shit to do" this weekend.  sounds like your was more financially costly, though.  what did you do with the "intruders"?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

We didn't pass because I'm tunneling UNDER by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:37:54 AM EST
that mountain of shit. It doesn't help my cause that we had an unexpected extra $3100 Federal tax bill (thanks George!) and I've got to shell out $1000 to make our second mortgage fall under a magic number that reduces our loan rate. The irony is that the total of all that money is almost the amount of "profit" for this year I was to land this year at my new job.

Time to look for a new new job I guess.

Oh, and I dealt with the intruders (they were all girls anyway) by turning on my nightstand light and rereading The Long Walk for a couple hours. After all, I have no authority over the step's -- they're "like, all, like grown up and responsible for, like, themselves, ya' know... Is there any thing to eat?"

Oh, and how could I forget! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:43:21 AM EST
I replaced the faucet in the kitchen sink -- which involved replacing the ruined shut-off valves -- which involved shutting off all the water in the house and draining the lines to the sink -- which involved (thank Bog) cutting off the second floor plumbing and preserving whatever water was up there.

And I didn't even burn any cabinetry or PVC lines whilst jockeying my butane torch around under there...

groceries by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:43:16 AM EST
we usually spend ~$100/week (if not a little more) when we don't do the "make the meals ahead" stuff.  it's amazing how much money it saves us.

Oh, we make some meals ahead. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:49:10 AM EST
You just wait 'till you have teenagers -- and their friends -- in you house. I glad we're down to three at this point, and even happier that two of those are girls. Except that I never see any chocolate once it make it through the door anymore...

Where do you get an insomniac deck? by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:43:22 AM EST
Ours sleeps all the time. Lazy fucker.

SYSTEM PANIC. POINTER ERROR. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:46:06 AM EST
...which I can't afford.

Literalist.

you are the most wonderful husband evar by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #4 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:02:23 AM EST
and one day i'll be able to assist you again in all the crappy tasks that have to be done.

you're busy... by clock (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:18:52 AM EST
...it ain't easy gestating and all that jazz.  i'm just worn out.  like you...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

can no longer sleep in past 8 am by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #6 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:15:41 AM EST
I haven't been able to sleep past 7:30 or so in 20 or so years.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

me too by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:20:03 AM EST
Aging sucks.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
pregnancy has changed it all for me by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:46:34 AM EST
i can sleep all damn day now.  it's weird.

I'm not likely to have that problem by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:01:07 AM EST
being as I am, after all, of the Guy Persuasion.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i seem to have... by TPD (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 07:55:14 AM EST
...acquired my father's disease and can no longer sleep in past 8 am

I predict in a few months it will get even earlier (say 5:30 ish ;) )....

I'm completely the opposite even if I've been completely shattered all day I'll get a second wind about 10 ish and will be unable to sleep till at least 1 am even if I know I'm going to have to be up in a few hours anyway.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

mm, spoiled meat by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 11:52:48 AM EST
i am very used to that smell from work....for our salmonella test, we incubate it. yep. 36C, meat.
---------