Print Story Too many cakes, not enough veggies
Family
By georgeha (Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:14:54 AM EST) cake, geeks, Native Americans, sex, demented mothers (all tags)
Plus, a forgotten con missed, invisible girls, two saxoshits, a glimmer of myself, Kinsey and less.

Poll: Favorite cake?

All in all, a good weekend if not very relaxing.

Friday Mrs. Ha was observing/helping at a blood drive until late, so I had the girls all evening. We wanted to make a cake to celebrate Mrs. Ha's first week of work, and we tried two scratch sponge cake recipes from Fanny Farmer, one vanilla, one chocolate (we searched through two Nigella's and the Joy of Cooking before sticking with Fanny Farmer). They were okay for a first attempt, but the eggs were too cold to mix right and we ran out of confectioniers sugar when making the frosting. Ten year old did have a blast playing kitchen chemist, amd Mrs. Ha was touched by the effort.

Wait, there's more cake content. Saturday night ten year old was invited by newspaper mom to go to a native American gathering nearby (newspaper mom had a front page story on the native
Americans and a full page inside the front section). We sent ten year old out late, with seven bucks for raffles and whatnot.

It took her a while to get home, and I was a little anxious, especially since we were watching Kinsey (you don't want her to walk in on an awkward scene). She did get home around 10:30, bearing a cake. She won a cake in the cakedance competition. By the time she had the requisite piece, it was 11:00, and we were all tired and just went to bed. And there's still more cake content to come.

We had to wait to finish Kinsey until Sunday night. I liked it, it was well done, and Lithgow's performance was very good, considering his usual roles. I also liked the way they made Laura Linney look attractive for a woman of a certain age. Kinsey's speech about America without the Puritans was pure trolling goodness.

This weekend was SimCon, a gaming convention at the University of Rochester. I went to SimCon once or twice back in the mid 80's ('83 or '84 most likely), and there was a slight possibility I would go this weekend, as Mrs. Ha had made tentative plans to get together with a mom from five year old's class. I'm not sure what I would have done there, I had no desire to dress up as I did as a teenager (not LARPing, just dressing as a character, it was either a D&D due with a mace, sword and plastic horned helmet, or a Traveller FO with laser rifle and camos, I forget which con was which), maybe spend money I don't have on deals in the dealer rooms, or look for a quick hex and counter wargame.

Those plans got changed as the mom has lots and lots going on in her life, instead Mrs. Ha volunteered to host a playdate for her kid, and volunteered me to watch (not totally, but she had a few errands to run, and a prospective kitten to look for). It worked out okay, Saturday was a good day for my physically, and the girls had fun. They played in the front yard for a while in the cold and sun (and even turned invisible) while I brought out the bistro set and played Panzer Grenadier on the porch, and then they moved indoors while I did dishes. When Mrs. Ha came home I went out back and depooped the yard (two saxoshit worth), put away the light up animated reindeer from Christmas, started a wood pile, and generally started making the back yard more liveable.

Since I didn't go to Simcon, I decided to join Consimworld, it has much more hex and countery goodness than boardgamegeek, even if I had to pay to join.

I am feeling better, maybe because I switched from Mobic to Celebrex. It is making me feel better, I haven't done any significant yardwork since last fall, and I can almost see myself riding soon. Oddly enough, I tried Celebrex a year ago and it did nothing for me. I still want to go to a rheumatologist though.

Yesterday was tough, we went to Buffalo (nearly to Lockport, in North Tonawanda actually) for a birthday party for Mrs. Ha's mom at the nursing home. There was the usual stressful family dynamics, the pain in trying to set up the portable DVD player for a 1 1/2 hour drive, and the anxiety of the disappearing brake fluid. We didn't really bring anything to eat, so I volunteered to get a sheet pizza (too much cheese) and antipasto. I should have gotten a salad or veggie tray, the food was mostly meat or refined flour based crap. My brother in law did make some good smoked salmon, and I had some pineapple, but I was so hungry for something good for my body I made a salad when we got home at night. I expect the crappy food made me feel crappy in the afternoon, it almost felt like a blood sugar issue. Of course, I skipped the birthday cake, too, I didn't need more refined sugar.

I have many calls to make, I'm becoming the health and child care coordinator while Mrs. Ha is in full day training. She's looking forward to some big paychecks, I'm looking forward to not paying all the bills.

< No Monday diaries ? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Too many cakes, not enough veggies | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
cake by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:23:01 AM EST
Chocolate-biscuit cake.

He's going the distance.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:23:38 AM EST
She's all alone, all alone in her time of need..

Query for you Mr. Ha: How does one play hex wargames solo ? I've been wondering that for a while ..

It obviously depends on the game by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:34:59 AM EST
Solo play is a long standing tradition, most games even note how well suitable they are to solo play.

Perfect information games (where each player can see all the counters on the map) are far more suitable for solo play than games with units that are hidden (either under ? counters or kept off board and noted on a scrap of paper).

Small defensive battles work well for solo play, it's nearly like a puzzle for the attacking side, and the defensive doesn't usually have too many decisions to make, if only one tank unit is within range of your antitank gun, you shoot at it.

You do have to do a bit of context switching, and one could even write down a rough strategy for each player to follow, or designate one side as playing aggressively and one side as playing timidly. For many games it works very well.

pound cake by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:27:17 AM EST
Easy, flexible, filling.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

When we first started going out by Phage (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:31:24 AM EST
I was having a particularly rubbish birthday, when N showed up out of the blue. We went out to the local woods where she produced a picnic complete with a Lemon Drizzle Cake with a candle in it.

My favourite ever since.

WIPO by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:59:17 AM EST
Pretty cake.

WIPO by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:20:42 AM EST
Red Velvet Cake. I sporadically work on a Blue Velvet version. Right now, the egg yolks are the only thing pushing it to end up as Green Velvet. My next attempt eschews them.

And my grandma with the egg farm and therefore literally dozens of eggs at her disposal made a truly killer Angel Food cake.

How would the ear taste? by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:24:58 AM EST
in that Blue Velvet cake?

I should have anticipated that and added the by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:27:03 AM EST
disclaimer: This cake has nothing to do with the movie of the same name...

Yipes! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:41:29 AM EST
1½ OUNCES of red food coloring?!?!?

Do you pee red?

Not from red food coloring by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:47:13 AM EST
There is some chemical, relatively non-toxic, that makes you pee bright red. Also one that makes you pee blue.

Either one is funny, and very cruel, to put in the punch bowl at a party. Especially funny (and cruel) if LSD is served at the party...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Only if people didn't know they were dosed by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 07:55:43 AM EST
otherwise, I'd figure bright red pee was just part of the trip.

do tell by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:52:25 AM EST
i know they exist, but where does one acquire such a thing?
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Methylene blue by ni (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:14:55 AM EST
is classic for making people pee blue. It's a common dye in chem and bio, and can be found in most labs. I think it also has some fish related use.

No idea for red.

"Not of this world..." -- 256, on the subject of the New Jersey Turnpike

that we have by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:54:14 AM EST
it's a good antifungal/topical antibacterial...we use it in our breeders.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Beets by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:06:57 AM EST
"relatively" non-toxic.

The blue is Methylene Blue.

natural answer by R343L (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 05:35:29 PM EST
for some bright red/purple pee is beet juice. uncooked by preference.

especially with farm fresh by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:51:51 AM EST
those yolks are closer to orange than yellow. hooray, vitamin A.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
"Too much cheese"? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:09:41 AM EST
SACRILEGE.

Also, I thought y'all killed off your Native Americans?

The cheese just slid right off in a curdy by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #14 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:19:34 AM EST
plasticy mess. You can't make up for substandard cheese by putting too much on.

We have quite a few reservations around (since the Iroquois were probably the third most potent power on the North America continent once the French were kicked out they were able to hang around in force, Sullivan did his best with this scorched earth campaign, but you really need a sizeale army for that), and nowadays they rake in the money with cheap gas, cheap tobacco and casinos (they don't have to charge fed taxes). As someone with a reported well known Native American chief ancestor, it's nice to see the natives make some money off white men's vice.

wipo by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:45:07 AM EST
my mom makes a cinnamon/sugar/chocolate chip thing that is pretty tasty. i even had two bites of it this weekend when i was visiting my sister.

crab cake would be an option but i've never had one i'd consider great.

Crab cakes are tasty by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:04:55 AM EST
maybe you just don't have the taste buds for it, or maybe it's all the carbs in the breading.

you probably get better crab than me by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 12:13:51 PM EST
being closer to the northeast/midatlantic, you probably get crab cakes full of good, fresh crab. whereas i get either cheap imitations or worse. i haven't had any since i've been eating at good restaurants either.

Re: Kinsey by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:40:34 AM EST
If I had a time machine, I think I would have to set myself up as the SanFran millionaire that he and his wife went to see at the end of the movie. The line from the dinner, "I don't want people to think I support sex", is just too good an opportunity to go trolling the general public over. I mean, really, short of completely devoting yourself to a life of total sexual abstinence, how can one not act in a way which does not support sex[1]? It would end up me, as the millionaire, taking out full page ads in the papers just over the fact that I was giving Kinsey money for his research and then going on a full US tour of "Why SEX is good for you".

[1]I'd even go so far as to argue that any recognition of human sexuality, even by abstaining from it, is acting in support of it. But that's just me and the crazy I live in.

I thought that was Hugh Hefner at first by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:47:35 AM EST
and I was thinking the time was real screwed up.

georgeha cosplay by debacle (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 03:06:31 PM EST
hires plskthx.

Also, you probably drove by my house. Stop in next time.