Print Story No Monday diaries ?
By sasquatchan (Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 05:43:14 AM EST) (all tags)
Seems odd that by 10a EST no diaries for the start of the week.. Maybe it's a bank holiday again in the UK or some such. Updates on life inside.

Home: Got the garden finished this weekend. It's trapezoidal, sides 19', 14', 16', 13'. On the part of the yard that gets hammered by sun in the summer, so hopefully a good spot for growing stuff. Nothing but weeds grows there currently, despite much effort to get grass growing there (and putting weed prevent/killer down).

I hand dug trenches, and did a simple turn of the dirt. Heavy clay and very compacted, that might have been why grass never grew there. Also moved about 3 cubic yards of compost to amend the soil. (We have a compost bin in the back corner, dump grass, shredded leaves, sawdust and jointer/planer waste and what not in. Turn it a few times a year, keep it wet, and in 2 years to have this great black dirt compost. Tossed some lime and 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer in. Then borrowed a neighbor's tiller, and tilled it all in.

Put wet newspaper down, and some landscape fabric to keep the weeds from popping up. Put a 4' fence around it to keep bunnies and deer out (those !@#$!@# have eaten all the tulips and some of the daisies).. Seeds have been started already, lots to grow this year:

• green beans (bush)
  • black beans (bush)
  • Roma tomatoes
  • heirloom tomatoes
  • sweet peppers (banana)
  • hot peppers (jalapeno)
  • squash (yellow)
  • zucchini
  • egg plant
  • cucumbers
  • pumpkins
  • basil (this'll be container grown I think)
I hope to start a second batch for late-season growth in June. I need/should get some winter squash as well -- hubbard, butternut/buttercup, acorn or something.

Anyway, seeds are almost all sprouted in starter pots. Will need to transfer them once to larger pots, then into the ground they go.

From all the work, only a few splinters and no bad blisters, thankfully.

As for the job search, have an offer with a small company in the area. The work they do sounds really interesting. I'd be 'in charge' of a large project, and would work as-needed on other stuff. Very mathy and analytical type work, not just coding. That appeals to me, get to stretch my brain. But being a small company (9 folks) benefits might be an issue. Struggle to figure it all out.

< 2007.04.01: ... and now I have April showers ... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
No Monday diaries ? | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I should start seeds real soon now by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 05:56:27 AM EST
though Mother's Day is the traditional finally safe to put stuff out and avoid frost in this part of the country. I'm thinking basil and parsley for pots, and tomatoes for a trellis. We have a small city yard with insufficient sunlight to really do much.

And in coming attractions, watch out for the latest update in my exciting life, entitled "To may cakes, not enough veggies", coming soon to a browser near you.

Can't get a full diary out of what's going on. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 05:58:11 AM EST
May do an mlp type diary.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Our Allotment by Phage (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:16:53 AM EST
We've planted.

Rhubarb
Onions
Parsnips
Red and Black currant bushes
potatoes
garlic
aspargus
chives
thyme
various brassicas
raspeberries (mucho - these are coming up all over)
maize
peas
broadbeans

Four day weekend approaching by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:22:32 AM EST

But not here yet. 6th and 9th we're all skiving over here.

I spent the weekend digging out the alledgedly gravel strip down the centre of my drive, seiving out the gravel from the sand and soil the worms have kindly mixed in, and relaying it with some fresh gravel on top of a weedproof mat. Ouchie. I shouldn't hibernate over the winter.

I've got some bedding plants to pot on in the greenhouse this evening, and I need to get some peas and beans sown outside. The early broad beans are coming along nicely, and I ought to dig up a load of the strawberry runners and replant them elsewhere so I can dump a load of compost where the existing strawberry patch is. There's a definite dip there compared to the rest of the patch.

My garden, with pictures from an ancient digital camera.

Now it looks like you made me post by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 06:22:58 AM EST
Not that it matters, but I hadn't seen this before I started writing my latest diary. Things seem to be happening in my life again (that are worth recording, that is); hopefully this will continue.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
LOL by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:11:42 AM EST
4' fence? Never seen deer jump, eh?

I know ... by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:46:24 AM EST
The orchard we pick peaches/apples at has a 12' barbed-wire/concertina wire/razor-wire fence around it all. I'm just hoping mine is enough to deter the deer from getting in..

It'll deter the lazy deer. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 08:54:46 AM EST
No, wait. It won't.

I know where sasq can get some dog hair by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 09:31:25 AM EST
and dog droppings, COD.

Missing Poll Options: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 02, 2007 at 11:11:31 AM EST
  • Horseradish