Print Story Blowing my tax refund on strange pussy
By georgeha (Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:00:54 AM EST) smells like a cathouse, smell the glove (all tags)
Plus, it's planting time, a productive weekend, I'm getting fat, abooey full of shoes, not part of the incrowd, and less.

Poll: What silly want should I buy?

The Prednisone is working well, as I continue to taper off. My appetite is huge, my pants are tight, I'm probably past 145 lbs, and while I can feel the pain in my toes, ankles and knees, it doesn't bother me much.

This weekend I was even able to take stairs two at a time, and do a few niggling chores, like redoing the screws in our bedroom door hinge, and hanging a plant basket for Mrs. Ha.

Of course, I didn't have long and big enough screws to get past the worn screwholes (#12x3 worked), so we went to Home Depot (quickly, because our first choice breakfast place had a closed party playing acoustic music that we weren't invited too, and the second choice place had a new cook so it took 45 minutes to get our food, really wasting Sunday afternoon) to get them, and use up my gift card. While there we also bought an underbed rubbermaid storage container for Mrs. Ha's shoes, and an advanced seeding system from Burpee, along with some basil, tomato and pepper seeds. Dang, I'm feeling good enough to garden.

Boy, Mrs. Ha has an abooey full of shoes, at least. She's been complaining that her shoes are disorganized, making her late when she hunts through her closet looking for suitable ones. Last night Mrs. Ha started folding laundry and fiveyear old and I did her shoes. I started rummaging through the pile on the closet floor to match up pairs, then five year old would show the pair to Mrs. Ha, for the destination of:

underbed box
keep out because she frequently wears them
garbage
Goodwill

Two garbage bags and a underbed bin later, we made a big dent, but there's plenty more.

Anyhow, our tax refunds came in, the same day Mrs. Ha got her first check and I got paid. Saturday we went out to buy spring coats for the girls (technically it's spring, despite the snow outside), and then we got a new cat that Mrs. Ha has had her eye on. He's a traumatized male (even before we got him home and the dog nearly got him, 65 lbs of tail wagging barking is a lot to handle) who is taking a while to warm up to us. I'm sure it didn't help when I tried to remove him from a cat house in our living room, with leather jacket and MC gloves (it's nice to know kitten teeth can't penetrate them), I ended up moving the whole 6 foot tall house up in to ten year old's bedroom, which has been fenced off so the cat can get used to us.

Now that we're solvent, it's tempting to blow some of my hard borrowed cash on frivolous things, though it's nearly as much fun just to googleshop and not buy anything. What silly want should I buy?

< Blah | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Blowing my tax refund on strange pussy | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:20:21 AM EST
O-rings and a smaller mp3 player.
No point in getting the pants until the machine is up and running. If you're willing to go below 4Gb they're practically giving the things away now.
OTOH: Repo man did get two spots on your list.

CD is one form of media, the DVD is the other by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:26:53 AM EST
though if I got a video capture card, I could try and media shift my VHS copy Repo Man.

I know Tigerdirect is under $40 for a 2 gig mp3 player, though I need to know how easy the navigation is, I don't want to have to click 50 times to get to a song.

ObBuyAniPod by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:46:52 AM EST
4 GB for the low low price of $250!

But the interface is very good.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Auugh, once you go Mac... by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:49:40 AM EST
plus, $40 is a whim, $250 is a lot.

Absolutely it's a lot. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 08:04:45 AM EST
I wouldn't have gotten it if I couldn't afford it. Barely.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I actually like the X5's interface better by Phil Urich (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 09:56:16 PM EST
there are a few mild counter-intuitive hiccups to the iPod interface, at least from my point of view; having never owned one I can't say if I'd get over them or not, though I'd be surprised if I didn't.  But the second I picked up a Cowon iAudio X5 everything made sense.  For some reason even stuff that by definition has to be a bit obscure (like, in USB host mode, what button does one use to switch between the player and the USB device it's connected to? answer that I knew intuitively: record). (caveat: I'm also not a Mac user; one button mice are my nemesis...es, so it might just be the traditional Apple style interface versus other metaphors).

And the damn things have about 3 times as many features!  I honestly do use the FM radio and the microphone quite often, to chip away at the long list.  I got my 20GB one for about $200 Canadian (and the Canadian dollar had already risen up to the current highs by that point, too).

Can you tell I'm disgruntled?

I do know quite a few people with Shuffles, which I think is a good idea if you don't plan on paying for a DAP.  No, seriously.  Awhile back $CanadianBank (ie. Toronto Dominion) was giving free 1GB shuffles to anyone who transferred their bank account from another bank over to them.  This was back when the 1GB shuffle was relatively decent.  Needless to say many people set up bank accounts at other banks, transferred the accounts over, and then the next day closed their new bank accounts.  Just a bit of paperwork shuffling and you had yourself an iPod; giving them away indeed!  Every day I hear of another scheme like that, soon those things'll be given away in Happy Meals.

Some of those look more like needs than wants by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:20:30 AM EST
At least "whatever part I need to fix CEL on Tercel " does, the o-ring kit likewise.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The CEL is probably O2 sensor by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 07:24:15 AM EST
since it's been running for a month or so with it on. Once it gets warm enough I can go to AutoZone and see what the ODB reader says.

The O rings are for the Kawi, which is a luxury vehicle, though I think a nice assortment goes for under $20 on ebay.

I would carry a notebook by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 08:45:34 AM EST
but my life even bores me.

I do suppose even a leather bound notebook by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 08:49:08 AM EST
would be a small indulgence, unlikely to blow my budget.

I think by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:32:41 AM EST
Moleskine is the preferred vendor.

Doesn't make my life any more exciting, though.

personally by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:02:36 AM EST
i say stay the course, and don't blow any of it.  put it all towards your debt.

I can almost justify the $20 O-rings by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:08:43 AM EST
if it makes my Kawi reliable enough to be a daily rider, the 55 mpg will help when peak oil.

assuming by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:14:35 AM EST
you'll be able to ride again anytime soon.

the "almost" is what makes it not worth it.

At $3.00 gallon, the O rings would be a profit by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:29:12 AM EST
after 33 commutes, not counting tires and oil. Plus, I can spend mantime in the garage, away from the wimmin.

"niggling chores"? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 4) #15 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:56:10 AM EST

save it by alprazolam (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 10:05:38 AM EST
i predict that new cat will cause an unexpected expense within 3 weeks.