Print Story What if we had a *FC
By ana (Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 04:42:54 AM EST) MFC, classical music, CMFC, RFC (all tags)
and nobody came?

There is, on some table somewhere (if only in the MySQL server that runs this place; hey, that's a table, right?) a proposal that we have a Classical Music Fun Challenge. So far I've heard encouraging and/or instigating comments from komet and Herring, and blessed complete silence from everybody else.

So here's the RFC for a CMFC.

I suppose the rules would have to be fairly loose, since "classical" music is a huge field. I, for one, would like to allow vocal music, in addition to instrumental stuff. One presumes, based on existing MFC entries, some of them successful, that non-husi folks in ensembles with husi folks would be acceptable. And I'd think in the grand Husi Fun Challenge tradition, cheating should be encouraged. Whimsy often wins these things.

I suppose copyright issues will be blissfully ignored, if you happen to pick a tune that somebody who's still lively enough to sue you still owns. I think it goes without saying that posting a commercial, copyrighted performance by somebody else is not in the spirit of the challenge.

And I'm guessing that full, symphony-length pieces are not going to be listened to by very many of the husi voting public. So pick something a few minutes long; maybe 5-10 at the outside.

Now about the timeframe... If it's too long, people will put off starting something til it's almost too late. If it's too short, people will just despair instead of entering. Is there a "just right" in between?

And how do you get to CMFC Hall? Practice, practice, practice!

So whaddya say? Fun? Or not? Comments are welcome, and we'll maybe get this thing rolling in a week or so.

< new diary entry | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
What if we had a *FC | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Breaker + toccata and fugue by cam (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 04:51:43 AM EST
ftw

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

ghetto 7 by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 04:54:21 AM EST
iykwim

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

i'd enter. by clock (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 04:58:29 AM EST
sounds like my bag, actually.  the timeframe will be interesting.  longer than a usual mfc, but not by too much.  i dunno.  that's a tough call.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

So, like by ana (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 05:24:58 AM EST
a couple months, you think?

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

yeah. that'd be good. by clock (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 05:40:04 AM EST
2 months?  that would be close enough for pre-jazz.  more than that and i'd forget (or run out of free time).

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

if by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 2) #28 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:58:20 AM EST
if this is where you'd like to use my vocal cords, let me know. i have a pretty big range (i can sing anything in an alto or soprano range, and i've even sung tenor) and love a challenge. =)
---------
Dance On, Gir!
that could be a lot of fun! by clock (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 11:09:23 AM EST
let me roll that around and see where it lands...i do love collaborating!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

and by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 11:16:44 AM EST
if you want to go really classical, i can pull off a passable boy-soprano. usually.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Well, I guess I'm out. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 05:01:33 AM EST
Since "Da Rulez" bar my re-interpretation of the entire Ring Cycle as perfomed on bicycle pumps and sung by me and clock's dog.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sounds fun ... by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 05:43:44 AM EST
as long as I don't have to write my own music!

I suppose... by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 06:22:15 AM EST
people could if they wanted, but certainly performing music other people have written is encouraged.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Cool. by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 07:50:43 AM EST
Expect a rousing contrabassoon entry.

This is EXACTLY the reason why I pushed for a CMFC by komet (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:03:46 AM EST
I didn't even know we had a contrabassoonist in our midst. I'm sure there are other hidden talents out there.

That said, what on earth drives a sane person to take up the bassoon?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Taking up the bassoon: by lb008d (4.00 / 2) #21 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:48:01 AM EST
I started playing bassoon in 7th grade, after starting on clarinet in 5th and adding alto sax in 7th for jazz band (which I continued through high school and into college). Bassoon just seemed so exotic, not to mention low, that I couldn't pass it up. Plus, my parents said they'd pay for private lessons on whatever instrument I chose.

I didn't play contrabassoon until I went to Eastman but I ended up really liking it along with my bassoon studies, so I taught myself. It helped me land a job playing in this orchestra and I hope to win a job in one of the "big orchestras" some day playing bassoon and contra.

Just last year I bought my own contrabassoon - serial number #13! It's a vast improvement over old contra designs and I love playing it, though not everyone agrees with me. As far as I'm concerned it's the biggest, best change made to a traditional orchestral instrument in a long time.

Famous dead people? by Alan Crowe (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:32:44 AM EST
If merely performing is enough a CMFC might motivate me to get my piano tuned and record a Chopin Nocturne or a Bach fuge.

Is that the idea?

That works, sure. by ana (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:36:51 AM EST
Hmm. Piano tuners.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

you know I'm in by komet (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 06:06:22 AM EST

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I would like the CMFC to encourage people by komet (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 06:33:00 AM EST
to enter a contest without having to write any music, as the MFC seems to require. Also a lot of people performed some classical music in high school, and I want these people to enter.

As far as I'm concerned it is perfectly OK to enter that one time when you were in the school choir at age 12 and your Dad recorded you on Mini VHS even though your voice can't actually be heard, since you were mostly pretending to be singing.

So I would like to see a very wide definition of "classical", from Gregorian chant to the second Vienna school. Also, for motty's benefit, Scott Joplin counts.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Several good points here... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 06:47:39 AM EST
Yeah, by all means, play something somebody else wrote. Or sing it. Or get your friends to sing it, either during the time period or at any other time before the due date.

I'd love to see motty enter; if Scott Joplin is what it takes, I'm in favor.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

What's the difference by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:29:04 AM EST
between a CMFC and a MFC with a classical theme?

CMFC sounds cooler by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:35:22 AM EST
Actually I could possibly give this one a shot. I think I can still barely remember how to read sheet music. Hey I could even submit as midi!

cool! by ana (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:37:39 AM EST
Perhaps we should have a chat with mister six when he comes in off the road about file formats and such.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Sure by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:45:42 AM EST
Though if he's too busy cavorting in Europe, I could probably whip up a *FC thingie on my site if need be.

Interesting question. by ana (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 08:39:14 AM EST
In practice, a CMFC is something I can propose, while we'd have to badger 606 (or some other winner of the NCMFC) into having a classical theme in the regular MFC series.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

If I understand correctly by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 5) #22 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 09:07:22 AM EST
The CMFC would aim to get real classical music entries while an MFC with a classical theme would get 12 punk entries with the accompanying adolescent drinking lyrics.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Arranged for oboe and strings? by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #25 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:47:02 AM EST

I think it's a pretty cool idea by TPD (4.00 / 2) #23 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:05:26 AM EST
though I agree with the above comments that I'm not sure that it needs to be distinct from the other MFCs, and whatever the high aims that Mr Abooey pointed out are, I will most likely introduce Brahms (or possibly Liszt) to the joys of the power-chord anyway.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Doubtless, you will recall by Herring (4.00 / 2) #24 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:43:14 AM EST
from elementary harmonisation that parallel 5ths and octaves are a real no-no. Bach would never have used power chords.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
he would.... by TPD (4.00 / 4) #36 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 11:11:24 PM EST
if he'd had OVERDRIVE!!!!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
If it's distinct by komet (4.00 / 2) #27 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:58:05 AM EST
it can run concurrently to the regular MFC. Extremely detailed statistical analysis reveals that this is a realistic contingency.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
i'll participate by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 10:55:20 AM EST
but my voice is all i have to bring. if someone wants to borrow it for their entry, i'm more than willing.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
what do you use for recording? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 12:06:44 PM EST
All I have is a shitty gamer headset microphone. I'm sorta interested in doing this challenge or helping out as well, but I'm not sure if I can decently record something new.

all i have is a crappy computer one by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #33 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 02:43:28 PM EST
though if i keep doing these i might buy something better that wont pick up so much background. i've found that high-pass filters are very good for helping to eliminate that.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
might be interested... by ana (4.00 / 2) #32 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 12:08:23 PM EST
i tend to use garageband on my ibook.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

cool by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 02:45:46 PM EST
i use audacity, but i can easily save my track as mp3, ogg, or wav for your importing pleasure.

let me know what you have in mind. i can probably sing both female parts if you choose something SATB.
---------
Dance On, Gir!

Sounds cool! by Phil Urich (4.00 / 2) #35 Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 03:11:20 PM EST
Alas my piano-playing and sheet-music-reading skills have seriously atrophied (even from their meager original levels), though that hasn't stopped my acquisition of sheet music (a lush copy of Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition was a recent purchase, along with a chance find of the more neo-classical Yann Tiersen, whose sheet music doesn't seem to actually be sold on this damn continent), but this sounds like a generally fun idea.  I'd definitely keep track as an interested observer, although I'm personally hoping for entries on less well-known pieces and composers; I'd take the aforementioned Mussorgsky over Mozart any day.

Modern composers, as well, even if the term "classical" would seem to preclude them; to return to the other composer previously mentioned, Yann Tiersen, I especially find his work on piano to be up in the same class as the (often held as unapproachable) "greats" of centuries past.  Then again, perhaps the difference is being able to hear a recording by the composer himself, almost an unfair advantage to compare something like a live recording of Tiersen's "Comptine D'Un Autre Ete L'Apres Midi" to, say, yet another lifeless rendition of Moonlight Sonata.

Or in other words, I guess I implore any participators to put feeling into it!  It's easy enough to find recordings that are technically perfect, but that's not the epitome of music.  (Just thinking about it brings back memories of sifting through boring rendition after boring rendition of Rimsky-Korsakov's work in search of those all-too rare recordings where an orchestra managed to really get him and bring life into the music).

Okay - I'm in by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #37 Wed Apr 11, 2007 at 08:17:47 AM EST
What say you make this official?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

What if we had a *FC | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback