Print Story A Day in the Life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 11:57:06 PM EST) A Day in the Life, cubicle, beer, DST, fuckwits, pie (all tags)
Thirsty

It was 10:30p.m. I was out with some workmates having some tasty Kölsch beer. My cell phone rang.

"REC, this is $GeneralSupportManager. Can you join a conf call with $LeadResourceManager, $DocManager, $PM-Guy and $OtherSeniorManager? We're discussing the Daylight Savings Time issues."

x-posted to da brog.

I had to go outside since the bar was too loud, in part due to a couple of my cow-orkers feeling some need to be especially noisy.

There's been a deluge of mail about this subject over the past few weeks. I've come into the office this week to find as many as 90 mails over four threads on the subject. Everyone else working on this is in California.

I've written a couple Urgent Notices, answered hundreds of cow-orker questions, discussed the issues ad nauseum, and now we have to have another conf call while I'm busy trying to get as much tasty Kölsch beer into me as possible so that I can, for a few minutes, forget the idiocy that is this DST change.

"Yeah, I can join."

I went outside in the cold an waited for the join.

The questions started coming, niggling details and references to mail from last week and there I stood in the cold with a small glass of beer, trying to remember what the hell they were talking about. And when one was finished hammering me, the next started. And every one of them was born to be mild, preferring to be "safe" and take as little action as possible.

Twenty minutes later, Stevie-boy came out with a sausage and a beer refill. The sausage was ice cold inside 10 minutes as I continued to explain how shit works and how it won't work on Sunday morning if things aren't done the way I say.

After an hour of this I took over, started telling each one of them what to do. I explained that while the newest document includes much uncertainty, it's the best we have so far. Failure to publish it immediately is guaranteed to have more repercussions than not publishing it. Likewise, I explained again to $GeneralSupportManager the importance of having every single monkey open up every single ticket that ever referred to DST and send a boilerplate I wrote explaining what steps must be taken. "You need to send that out NOW," I told him, "This minute, while we're still on the phone." If he'd had 15 minutes to mull it over -- as he did six hours earlier when I explained the reasoning in a long mail response -- he might've again decided to wait.

I got confirmation from $DocManager that my latest Urgent Notice would indeed be published immediately. That gives the US the last bit of Thursday and all of Friday to fix stuff. Asia and Europe only have Friday.

This morning I went to check my Urgent Notice in our Knowledge Base so I could finally start referring customers to it. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't there. Fuckwits. Utter, complete, total, fuckwits. I expect it from customers. I expect it from some of the cow-orkers. I don't expect it from a group of top management decision-makers, although that might help explain why $BigCorp got bought up by $MegaCorp, itself a steaming pile of inefficient bureaucracy... but that's the subject of another post.

I'd already expected to be available on Sunday to answer questions and problems which will come in, and I'll get a nice chunk of change. Thanks to these fuckwits not releasing the docs I'm actually going to have to work my ass off for the cash, all day and all night.

Thank fuck for Mini-Me. He's updating my customers so that I can leave this place, hop a plane to London, and get as much tasty Kölschbitter beer into me as possible so that I can, for a few minutes, forget the idiocy that is this DST change.

I'm outta here. London, here I come.

< Reminding Boston Infidels | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Jack Wagner must be coining it right now by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 12:46:30 AM EST
I reckon he'll be able to retire on this fiasco.

The Director's bitter at The Anchor's very well stored and well worth it. It's almost fresh enough that it won't make me ill.

Almost. I'll be on the gin and tonics and soft drinks tonight, though.

I read the intro text and burst out laughing. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 02:52:39 AM EST
I know just where this is going. I would have just stayed in the bar, ordered three pints for myself and said "Whaaaat? Whaaat?" over and over between swallows. Of course, in my case, my mid-life crisis beckons...

Also, Poll Response: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 02:56:13 AM EST

• [ Parent ]
    I'd have ignored the call by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 03:37:24 AM EST
    But then, I'm a developer and don't do "on call"; when I walk out the door at the end of the day, that's that. I've done what I'm paid to do, they want more, they can pay more.

That's not to say that I won't put in long hours as and when it's necessary (of course I will), just that I don't make a habit of it and don't expect it to become the norm, either.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

so DST isn't necessary then? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 04:19:46 AM EST

DST is necessary by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 05:10:26 AM EST
    Implementing the changes is necessary, a 10pm conference call after I'd already left the office for the day would be grounds for resigning, depending on the exact circumstances. Like I said though, I don't do "on call" (and nor do my peers, we're implementation, not support).

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
    But where's the fun in ignoring it? by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 05:38:24 AM EST
    I'd much rather piss then all off to make the point that a) they're late to the DST party, b) stupid for thinking that it'd all get done automagically and c) wasting my precious and sacred time that they don't pay me for -- and face the music later.

Late to the DST party? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 06:04:14 AM EST
    My friend, you must not work in IT. The DST party doesn't start until 11PM on Saturday night.

The DST Party has been over for weeks. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 06:42:12 AM EST
    My friend, if you patched your systems weeks ago, like a proper IT person would, you'd be out drinking and sleeping soundly this Saturday night. And 11:00 PM is too US centric. If you really haven't patched your systems, your party will start long before then.

All of my systems are patched. [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 01:14:58 PM EST

Then what are you pissing on about you little fag? by greyrat (2.50 / 2) #14 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 03:11:52 PM EST
    En tea.

Woooo! A one! I'm soooo scair't! by greyrat (1.00 / 1) #15 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 05:14:07 PM EST

some days... by clock (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 03:26:02 AM EST
    ...it's good to be a coder.  i don't worry about that shit at all.

however, my wife gets shit about it all the time, so i never stop hearing about it.  i can't wait for the paging to begin in the middle of the motherfucking night.

i love my legislature.  i really and truly do.  it's nothing but a continuous stream of comedy.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I totally understand the last minute panic by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 05:20:40 AM EST
    I mean it's not as if they've had a long time to get ready for DST.

It would be amusing by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 08:05:34 AM EST
    If the US DST change created all the chaos people expected from Y2K.
    [ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
    A Day in the Life | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback