Print Story Steroids! A few moments of enjoyment
Health
By georgeha (Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:52:52 AM EST) roids, wargames, engineering (all tags)
a lifetime of pain

Well, it's not that bad, and it's not anabolic steroids, but I'm already tapering off my prednisone and the pain is coming back, unpleasantly coloring my whole life.

Plus, niggling chores, Risk avoidance with  Viktory II and other hexity goodness, the adjustable Aersp and other tales of socialization, sick of winter and less.

Poll: Next PC investment?

Saturday was my peak in good feeling this year, due to my immune system being shutdown with Prednisone, resulting in most of my inflammation being gone. But, you can't stay on that stuff for long without dire side effects, and I'm already tapering off, so the pain and inflammation are coming back.

The pain really makes life harder. It makes my job harder (though I really am getting tired of being the firefighter going from crisis to crisis), it makes dealing with ten year old harder, it makes it harder to be a fully engaged parent and partner, and makes it harder to pay attention to my finances. When I check in this week I'm going to ask for something stronger, until I can get into see a rheumatologist.

Saturday ended up being a social and productive day. I took the kids to the Y for ten year old's swimming class, and ran into a classmate of five year old with her mom. The mom and I ended up talking while ten year old swam and five year old played. Later, five year old went on a playdate with a different classmate, while Porsche-girl came over to play, while Mrs. Ha went thrifting.

I took the advantage of the time to clean up the study and fix a shelf, it's slowly, very slowly, changing from a sprawling Lego and book explodatorium into something neater.

When I went to pick up five year old, I took Porsche-girl and ten year old, since they all ride the bus together with five year old's friend and had a bond with her. The parents were real nice and let the older girls play for about half an hour while we visited. The dad is another Aersp E, the first I've met in Rochester (not counting high school buds who went studied Aersp in school). It was kind of neat and we talked about how flexible we were compared to EEs.

Saturday night was a bit ugly, I was tired, and ten year old just did not want the fun to stop.

I'm getting sick of winter, oh so sick of it. Lots of snow this morning, with 4 cars and a bus (at least) off the road for accidents. It will be Saint Patrick's Day in two weeks, I don't know if we'll get 70 and sunny like last year.

Yesterday we went to a great Indian buffet for lunch. That's a good thing about the melting pot, we get all sorts of cuisine.

I picked up Viktory II for my birthday a few weeks ago, it's like a cross between Civilization and Risk that can be played in 90 minutes. Sure, you don't get the fun of fighting a land war in Asia, but you also don't get the fun of watching someone turtle in Australia for two hours. You can read how the game came to be, and the tough work of bringing a prototype into full scale production on that page, too, fascinating stuff for anyone who ever wanted to make their own game.

In other hexity goodness, I played another game of Crete, and took notes so I can write up a session report and review at the Geek. This time the Germans won big, they picked on the Aussies on the eastern end of the island, and started rolling towards Malema.

My DVD burner now works, I'm not sure what I want to invest in next. I'd like a video capture card to copy some family videos, and DVD backup software is always nice. I should figure out how to burn CD's on my Ubuntu box, and it sure could use a RAM upgrade, though I might get equivalent performance with a customized kernel.

< MFC and suchlike. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Steroids! A few moments of enjoyment | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Next PC investment by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:00:54 AM EST
A Mac. It's a computer, and it's personal (so are most cell phones, but I digress...). It runs Unix. It's reasonably priced (which surprised me when I looked at them). Why not?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I suppose I can gut the mono PowerBook by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:04:49 AM EST
I have in my basement and turn it into a fishtank, or maybe put NetBSD on it, but an OSX capable Mac is outside my price range.

IAWTP by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:29:21 AM EST
we'll be buying another one in the next 6 months.

you mean six weeks!!!! by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:44:43 AM EST
uh...um...yeah.

anyway...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

first, we have to do the floors by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:54:50 AM EST
and then we can mac it.

dork.

LA LA LA LA LA... by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:59:29 AM EST
...i'm not listening!!!

i told the apple store chica i'd be back for her this week!!!

(the mac, not the chica...she's not my type)

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

you are such a shameless flirt by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:17:11 AM EST
you're going to break that poor little girl's heart.

not the mac's tho.  it will be happy to be p0wned by you.

Hey Hey hey, I try to run a nice clean diary by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #12 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:24:02 AM EST
please take this mac lust to some dingy coffee shop full of beret and turtleneck wearing "different sorts"

Dude by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #35 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:18:56 PM EST

Don't mess up my retirement plan with your curmudgeonry!

and just how many full color laser prints did you by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 02:02:20 AM EST
make this week?

I made twelve so far, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 05:35:27 AM EST

but it's only Wednesday.

have you checked your mac buying guide? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 01:58:33 PM EST
Aren't they all past due for a refresh?

Cur etiam hic es?
i've had this lil g4... by clock (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 03:33:16 PM EST
...powerbook for about 4 years now and it has served me like a trooper.  stacky will get about 3 more years out of it if we're good to it.  so we're not really refreshing (hell, i still have my 20 gig ipod) as much as adding so that we can simplify some things.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah, yeah, by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 04:28:24 PM EST
You're still gonna whine if they announce new models a week after you get one.

:-P

My PBG4 went to my son the other week, and I got a Blackbook. Speedy enough for everything I do, but it's kind of comical and annoying the way the fan goes into turbo mode when the graphics chip gets busy.

Cur etiam hic es?

comical and annoying by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 03:09:32 AM EST
So it's perfect for the clown act.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Well, you're in a grumpy mood. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:24:40 AM EST
Have I been spitting in your cornflakes again?

Cur etiam hic es?
Grumpy? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:34:43 AM EST
Damn. I was trying for "Sleezy, the 8th Dwarf." Oh well.

Got some aches and pains as a result of the ski trip last weekend. Makes me a bit uptight. Hard to bitch about it when others (such as Mr. Ha here) have it so much worse.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heh. I hear that. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 06:49:22 AM EST
I think he should stop showing off and give the rest of us a chance to complain.

Cur etiam hic es?
Between him being an old fart by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 07:24:56 AM EST
and Stacky being pregnant, no one else has a chance to grumble about anything. Maybe I'll just troll the slashbots for a few months.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Aw, there's plenty of room to complain by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 02:03:21 AM EST
the diary section has been slow.

I'll be buying one soon. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 03:12:15 AM EST
Not sure how soon, but Ye Olde Linux Box is showing increasing signs of senescence, to the point where the Weekly Backup to the second hard drive is now a daily backup, with a weekly to DVD. Once it dies completely, it's off to the Apple Store for a 23" iMac.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

when we buy the mac by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:04:14 AM EST
we'll be shutting down two older, noisy desktops.

we're trying to streamline things in anticipation of the upcoming crazy.

I'll be giving away by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:30:14 AM EST
the 19" CRT. Probably the internal DVD burner is still new enough to be salvageable.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Here's to seeing a good rheumatologist. by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:06:59 AM EST
My sister has Crohn's and has been in remission for a long time now because of Remicade. IIRC that is prescribed for people with symptoms like yours.

Good luck, and go smoke some pot or something :-)

Remicade could be an option by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:09:21 AM EST
as could sulfa, methotrexate, enbrel or humira, or some fun cocktail of them all.

How long were you on the prednisone? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:14:10 AM EST
I was on it for about 6 weeks. Fairly low dose, however.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

A short sharp shock to the system by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:16:14 AM EST
4 days of 30 mg
4 days of 20
4 days of 10
4 days of 5

Right now I'm on my first day of 20 mg. I supposed the Dr. can give me more again, for a few weeks. She's one of those new sorts of doctors who are real reluctant to dispense narcotics, too bad, Darvocet would probably make me feel fine.

You know by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 04:30:09 PM EST
you're one of the reasons I don't go to doctors anymore.

Have you considered just getting yourself robocop'ed?

Cur etiam hic es?

Getting uploaded into the Matrix by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 05:19:19 PM EST
sounds better and better each year. Sure, I have o give up riding, beer and sex, but I'm close to giving up beer as it is.

Is he the reason you're afraid of a colonoscopy? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 11:43:54 AM EST

Nah. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 01:45:28 PM EST
I just don't want to end up on YouTube.

Cur etiam hic es?
Prednisone by ni (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 06:55:59 PM EST
I am -- very obviously -- not a doctor. Oblig grain of salt etc.

30 mg prednisone daily is not a lot of prednisone. Most people can take this for a substantial length of time without anything particularly severe happening, assuming that they taper off it when they finish. I myself have taken 45mg for 4 months without any problems aside from severe acne, and would have taken it for a longer length of time had the symptoms not abated.

Obviously prednisone is not a drug a person aims to take for long periods of time, but if it's a choice between prednisone and agony, I'd opt for the prednisone -- at least until you're able to consult a specialist.

"Not of this world..." -- 256, on the subject of the New Jersey Turnpike

fuck pred and its HPA suppression by persimmon (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 06:57:06 PM EST
Dex forever, baby!
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."
I can beg for it when I status her tomorrow by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 01:58:46 AM EST

Creten politics by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:47:33 AM EST
When Au sent the 2ndAIF to North Africa it was done under the belief that they would be an independent force - ie Au commanders would be told of strategy and would agree to the deployment of Au forces etc - but Churchill deployed the 6th Division to Crete. He told Blamey that Menzies (the PM) had agreed to it, and told Menzies that Blamey had agreed to it. Not cool. Menzies confronted Churchill over it, but Churchill treated Au forces as dominion, not independent. Menzies wasnt tough enough to tell Churchill to go jump (as Hughes was more than happyy too in WWI).

There was a couple of problems for Au. The 6th Division was pretty decimated after that and Au was starting to run short of manpower. It also led to Curtin digging his heels in with Churchill over the 7th and 9th Division's being recalled to the South Pacific theatre. If Churchill had of bothered to include Menzies and Blamey in the decision making (which they probably would have agreed to anyway) then Curtin may not have been so adamant in 1942.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Every neuron you allocate to history by debacle (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 11:45:41 AM EST
Is one less to allocate to breasts.

Next PC investment by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:42:44 PM EST
green energy

buy low. sell high.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together