Print Story The Lost Career . . .
Music
By slozo (Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 05:50:41 AM EST) (all tags)
I promise not to mention anything at all controversial today. No global warming (I froze my balls off this morning as the temperature dropped unexpectedly for me), no coming Iran war (those two big ships headed for the Persian Gulf are just there for sightseeing), and definitely beyond a doubt no mention of anything negative about the music content on the current MFC . . .

. . . cause they're all pretty good, actually.

Well, I finally decided to get off the shitter and enter into an MFC, with my sister as it was the natural choice. She's new to a lot of the awesome sound making technology at her disposal, but she did very well I thought. For myself, I have about the same opinion, having been out of the game for a long time.

See, when slozo was a little boy, he sang. He sang in choirs, sang solos at Latvian cultural events, sang with his sister for old folks homes, he competed in Kiwani's Festivals, and he took private singing lessons. Back in the day before his voice broke (late, around 14) due to the onset of acne, he was considered pretty good. Late in his still-soprano career he sang with the Toronto Children's Chorus and had one of the best vocal teachers in the all of Canada, Ms. Goldsband. His parents pushed him and pushed him; they sort of had to at times, because slozo had some talent but was chronically lazy and unmotivated. Sometimes, his parents pushed him too hard . . . and slozo being slozo, this had a very negative effect.

At the age of 16, as I was being groomed for entrance into the Toronto Opera School (can't remember the exact name for it) and soon after I successfully passed my grade 10 voice at the Royal Conservatory of Music, I quit. I had already come to the stage where I felt I could stand up to parental pressure, especially my father. I knew there would be hell to pay, as my parents had all their hopes and dreams pinned on me becoming an opera star. Unfotunately, I had only resentment left . . . and I wasn't liking the whole singing thing anymore. I had to do what I wanted to do.

My parents never forgave me, really. I broke their hearts, as well as my vocal teacher's. One thing I will always respect so much about Ms. G is that although she was very disappointed, she agreed with me about the most important thing - if I wasn't liking what I was doing, then I should stop investing my time in it. Despite her having a strongly vested interest in me continuing my singing career, she knew that I needed to follow my heart. And she knew how difficult it was for me to break it off . . .

My two or three very oldest friends in the world vaguely remember I used to sing back in grade 6, 7 and 8, but other than those guys, none of my friends really knew about my singing past. In fact, many aquaintances would not be able to imagine me as a former singer. I never sang publicly again after I quit except for once - Ave Maria (Schubert's version, for those interested) two years after I quit at my grandmother's funeral, as that had been her request years ago. I didn't sing again afterward, though, so no one knew about my "hidden" past.

Flashforward to a few weeks ago, when I started fooling around with recording a song with littlestar. The vocalchords were rusty, and I was a bit timid, but . . . not as bad as I thought it might be. When ten years you have not sung, sound as good you will not. We recorded the first track, a cover of blixco's (and clock's), which was a cover of Nick Drake's that I had surprisingly never heard of before (I listened to some Drake). It was nice enough I suppose, and we both were somewhat satisfied with the effort. We both wished we knew how to play guitar better It gave us dibs on the Peter, Paul and Mary folk/ballad category, that was for sure. But - whatevah.

As the deadline was pushed forward last week, an idea struck me after the party at the Shawshack - why not do a mock version? 'Star and I had discussed a Weird Al Yankovic version, substituting hilarious, nonsecical and dirty lyrics. We could pump out a quickie version pretty fast, I thought to myself, knowing I would have little to do with the time consuming tasks of production and editting et al. So when Sunday rolled along, that's exactly what we did . . . and I am pretty pleased with the result. I mean, 'star really took the concept and went in a direction I hadn't fully envisioned in my mind, but it was good . . . in fact, I found it downright hilarious and awesome.

In the end, I quite enjoyed the experience of recording with my sis, and I would do it again. On the other hand, the competition is getting stiff for these MFCs as I listend to most that were up already . . . some very nice work indeed. Still, it's nice to be doing some singing again that I consider fun . . . and really, that's the whole point of it.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Lost Career . . . | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I have to wait until I get home by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:15:32 AM EST
to listen. I can't wait.

I did something for years that most people will never know about. It just isn't me anymore.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

Well, spill the beans! We at Husi . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:22:09 AM EST
. . . would love to hear about your past career/pastime secrets . . .

I didn't mean to tease, by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:53:15 AM EST
but I don't talk about it.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
You administered birth control to squirrels by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:32:00 AM EST
They're giving squirrels shots to delay . . . by slozo (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:38:44 AM EST
. . . sexual maturity for over 2 dollars a pop, and we wonder what has happened to amerika. Cripes!

All you'd need is MNS's pet hyena in there for like, two hours, and no more problem! In addition, the hyena would be marginally less likely to rip someone's arm off for a little while . . . it's a win-win no-brainer!

Ssh! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 03:40:28 AM EST
Don't tell, but MNS doesn't actually have a pet hyena. He made it up.

Sounds like by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:48:20 AM EST
a career for my future.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
nope by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:23:56 AM EST
all the things i probably could have been very good at, such as music, my parents couldnt afford lessons for (not that i blame them, i do appreciate eating). now, it's probably too late.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Well, it's never too late to get back . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:38:47 AM EST
. . . into it - it would just be in a different form possibly. For instance, starting into the choir thing again, getting established, making your own choir, becoming a choir director - it is possible, even in your spare time for the most part (although at the later stages it would be more of a career).

Don't give up on your dreams!

i could never direct... by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:08:27 AM EST
i'm definately not good enough with theory for that. my biggest problem, i suspect, is that what i could have been and who i am are very different....and "could have been" isn't enough of a motivator.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
You may not be good enough now . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:32:44 AM EST
. . . but that's why it's a gradual progression.

I think you should look less at the "coulda been" that can't be redone, and look more to the "could be" from where you are now.

You have a great voice, you seem like a great people person, and if you have some motivation, that's more than you need! Well, I guess the motivation thing is key . . .

too late by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:39:54 AM EST
is only a state of mind.

Yes by komet (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 07:53:40 AM EST
I stopped playing the piano in seriousness for almost ten years. This was easily the most moronic thing I've ever done. Still, it is coming back to be, albeit slowly.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
The Lost Career . . . | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback