Print Story I DO NOT RECALL JANGLING YOUR CHAIN...

WHY IS IT, THEN, THAT YOU SEEM TO THINK IT IS OK FOR YOU TO KEEP BARKING TO ME, LIKE I'M PAYING ATTENTION?

Inside: Rarities, monstrosities, and nostalgia. Sort of. As much as I am capable of.

A Rare Past Vignette

Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, in a city called "Indianapolis", I worked with an ex-college girlfriend. For the most part, there were no issues, though on occasion, we'd get drunk and mess around. There was this other dude at work, older than S and I by a good 15 years or so, who I sometimes went golfing with. One day, he invited me and S to dinner with his wife on a Saturday. Not having much better to do, both of us accepted.

That Saturday, during the course of pleasant dinner conversation, Nrs. Coworker paused for a beat, looking at me, and said, "I can tell; you have an active mind."

"Well, I guess I do." I wasn't really sure what she meant. Now, of course, I know. I take medication for my active mind. And I self-medicate it. Double-whammy.

Oh Darn.

I left my twitter password at work, now nobody will know when I'm taking a dump! Unless I recover the password. That sounds like a lot of clicks, with not a lot of payback at the tail end of the clickthrough. Just sayin'. INTERACTIVE: DEEZ NUTS.

Hello my name is on my shirt...pocket,
I'd rather not speak right now,
I'm remembering... something.

A Rare Work Vignette

This morning, while getting ready to move a shitload of RAID devices from Donut Wheel HQ to Donut Wheel Outpost, I was sitting on top of this big ass IBM machine in order to pull tons of cables out the top of a rack, and found that the ceiling was a little lower than I had thought it was, upon the occasion of pulling a little too hard, and having my hand hit the ceiling. Or, more precisely, a halon fire thingamabob. It bled for a bit, and is a little swollen now, but for the most part, it was just another in an endless sequence of minor work injuries. Half an hour later, the cables were out, and my work in the data center was done, so I headed to the lab location where our team was waiting to head to the Outpost in the truck. My boss noticed my bloody hand, and asked what had happened to it. I explained the series of events, to which he responded:

"That was not part of the instructions I gave you."

My boss is fucking hilarious.

Most typically my dreams are dreadfully
boring,
therefore i go to these places just to
see the girls ...
with hair like hers,
with clothes like she wore,
with smells like hers,
with handwriting like hers .....

A Rare Moment of How I Trained My Mom to be More Awesome

Many, many years ago, I had a couple of gentlemen under the employ of a large governing body come a-knockin' on my parents' door. My Mom, ever the dutiful citizen, provided them with my then-current address. Now, it wasn't so much that I was in trouble, but still, I was a bit appalled that my Mom would give me up so easily. When I talked with her about it, she explained that she didn't figure those two gentlemen meant me any harm (other than, in retrospect, perhaps an intent to destroy my career hopes, and render me "civil servent" until I eventually drank myself to death), and I believe her. That wasn't the point, though. The point was that unless I am in trouble, don't go giving my information out to people you don't know. And even ones that you do know.

Well, it seems that the twenty year high school reunion people have been hitting her up for just that information, and, some 18 years after my talk with my Mom, I am proud to announce that my Mom told them they could send whatever they wanted to send to my parents' address, and that they'd forward it to me. Yay, Mom! I raised her right, it seems.

I didn't go to my ten year reunion. I won't go to the twenty. Why would I? I don't wish any of those people any ill will or harm, but flying to Indiana in the middle of the summer, taking vacation days away from a job I look forward to every morning, and hanging out with a bunch of dudes who I was apparently doing alright not hanging out with for the last twenty years doesn't sound like the most kick-ass of plans, to tell the truth.

You wrote me little letters and,
you brought me lunch that time,
at my work and that poem you left,
on my windshield wrapped in plastic,
to protect it from the rain.
Protected from the rain

A Fierce Conundrum

Double album self-indulgent glory, or hyper-produced 60 minutes of funk? This is the question that haunts my nights. I've basically got 48 songs in a "finished" state, and I'm having a hell of a time whittling the list down to, like, 20. Damn, I can be one productive dude.

On Tuesday Morning,

I launched my Dashboard widget to check what the weather was going to be like later that day, and it said "sunny". In reality, it rained. This morning, I submitted a bug report internally for that obviously broken Dashboard widget. I love this company.

< A Prize This Time (At Least) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I DO NOT RECALL JANGLING YOUR CHAIN... | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I skipped my 20th by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 02:00:38 AM EST
and it was even in town, but it cost too much and I was real broke.

I got a few pics and emails from people I wanted to see, so it worked out just as well.

I figure I can use my imagination by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:40:04 AM EST

to visualize what ever happened to so-and-so; I'll add thirty pounds to them, subtract their hair, and presto, instant reunion, for free, right here at home!

ah fuck by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 02:53:24 AM EST
you haven't friended me on twitter yet....
Don't feel bad by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #12 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:38:13 AM EST

I haven't friended anyone else, either. I find the whole notion of joining such a community, then shunning the entire community, funny, plus I can't imagine my desire to use twitter lasting much past the next three or four bowel movements.

amateur by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:24:28 PM EST
I've been shunning the Orkut community since day 1

Click
Shunning Orkut... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #25 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:57:05 PM EST

I trust that's not like shunning "getting lucky"...

I'll happily volunteer to help you by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:00:59 AM EST
whittle your playlist(s). I smell three albums in there. PM me if you want help.

I exist only to archive...

Soon you shall be PMd by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:36:58 AM EST

Though I have a bit of pre-whittling to do still. And thanky!

I went to 10th and 20th by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:19:32 AM EST
The twentieth wasn't as weird as the tenth. Seeing some old friends for the first time since the 10th (we've moved all over the country) who have kids of their own in HS was cool.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I still keep in touch by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:41:38 AM EST

with my actual friends from that time, who also have moved all over the country. That's why this whole reunion business has "waste of time and money" written all over it.

twitter. by garlic (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 04:28:30 AM EST
I'm starting to old fogey out on internet fads, but poops reports sounds like the best use of twitter yet.

It pretty much seems like the only good use by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:35:54 AM EST

All other uses sound like watered down rationalizations to me. Friggin' newbies!

twitter by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 11:19:17 AM EST
I must be a freakin' moron because I just. don't. get. it.

I don't care about what I'm doing most of the time, why the fuck would other people?

The folks over at TUAW seem to have a hardon for it though.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I've never been to a reunion by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 04:39:42 AM EST
Never wanted to, never will.

I didn't like that place then, and I'm of the same opinion now. Besides, like yours, mine is in flyover country. That's the only way I ever intend to see it again¹: from an airplane at least 20,000 feet up.

¹ select funerals excepted

I still go back to visit friends and family by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:32:35 AM EST

But for fuck's sake, I was just there in December. If they can't manage to hold these reunion things at times that are already convenient for me, then I can't manage to attend.

In town by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 06:31:13 AM EST
I was actually in town on my twentieth. Still didn't bother.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yeah, time and location are my first excuses by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:54:56 PM EST

But even if they held it in my living room tomorrow, I'd still not bother. Well, come to think of it, if all those motherfuckers showed up in my living room, I'd go, but only to shoot anyone not fast enough to make a dash for the door.

never went by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 04:56:41 AM EST
I didn't go to my tenth because they lost contact with me, and I was too apathetic to try to contact them.

I considered my twentieth until I found it that it would cost $75 a person to see people I barely remember, and didn't particularly care about. Of my three close high school friends, two were in the class below and therefore wouldn't be there. The other got arrested for hacking, went insane, burned my house down, spent a few years on the street, etc. He called me a few years ago, I think as a "step". So I know what happened to him. He's not the type that would have gone anyway.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Exactly. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:33:55 AM EST

I keep in contact with the people who were my friends back then. The people I didn't know so well? Well, why would I suddenly want to bust my ass to get to know them?

Reunions by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 05:45:57 AM EST

I wander off to a university reunion every year (In January. In North Wales. Lovely weather) but that's a cross years thing for those of us who decided that being venue roadies made a good hobby. People I was at school with? Meh...

PS. If you were a member of UCNW Stage Crew (or CPGC Pwyllgor Llyfan if I remember the translation) or know someone who was (they'll have maybe scraped a Douglas, repeated a year or got kicked out) get in touch, we're trying to put together a major event in 2008 as they're pulling down the Union soon.

big donut wheel company hires weathermen ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 06:01:56 AM EST
dang. Maybe meteorology woulda been a better career choice..

Well, they should by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:53:43 PM EST

Because that Dashboard Weather Widget is totally broken.

HIgh School Reunions by Improbus (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 06:10:55 AM EST
If my sister hadn't married a classmate of mine I would never see any of the people I went to high school with and that would be fine by me.  I don't hate any of them ... I just don't care.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
That's exactly it: by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:55:40 PM EST

Not animosity, but apathy.

'BUTRIN TIME! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 06:33:05 AM EST
THANKS FOR TEH REMINDER!

That's why I'm here, dude! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Mar 29, 2007 at 03:58:44 PM EST

Just trying to help!