Print Story Dunch.
By ana (Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:00:30 AM EST) neologisms, coinage, attention boston infidels (all tags)
Coining useless words since 1954

We need a word for a meal taken between lunchtime and suppertime.

Also, Attention Boston Infidels

Seems millman will be in town Saturday.

I propose we get together for a late lunch or early dinner at Redbones (Davis Square barbecue joint with a beer spinner on the wall). Say, 4pm? That's when they start serving dinner.

I figure by missing the rush at both major mealtimes, we can sit and chat longer, and those who might be off for an evening of inspiring hangovers for the next day will have more time to do so. Also, we'll be able to take the puppy out for a run at noontime and still get there in a timely way. He's suffering from cabin fever, I think.

What else is new? After a week's visit to her mom, toxicfur has returned. The cats and the dog have spent every possible moment as close to her as they can get; on top of her if she lets them. She's understandably feeling a bit smothered. They love their mom.

Next week it'll be April already. And Holy Week. Whoosh. Seems at once as if it's always been winter, and as if it was just summer yesterday. Perhaps because it's kind of summery today.

So summery, in fact, that I should go out and frolick. Or hunt down another cup of actual coffee (as opposed to the stuff I make in my own office).

< mostly a short rant | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Dunch. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
There already is a word for it by hulver (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:05:35 AM EST
Tea.

Eaten around 4-5pm.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Here in Bostonia by ana (4.00 / 4) #3 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:09:21 AM EST
tea is something we dump in the harbor.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Best made with hot fresh water, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:19:42 AM EST
not cold salt water.

Hope that helps. Maybe if you remember that, next time you're under colonial oppressors, you'll manage to behave well enough that they can bestow their wonderful colonial legacy on you, like they did to Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone and Sudan.

Also, if you could tell everyone else in your country that you need to serve the tea with the teabag already in the cup, that'd be most helpful.

He he he by hulver (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:23:30 AM EST
You could call your get together a Boston Tea Party.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
"Rendering it entirely unsuitable... by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 11:24:14 AM EST
...for drinking -- even by Americans."

Can you name the speaker without Googling?

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
I was thinking 1066 and all that. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 11:37:38 AM EST
But it's foreign. Spike Milligan?

Mary by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Apr 07, 2007 at 06:36:24 AM EST
plus by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 11:29:44 PM EST
If you want to be unbearably pretentious, you can call it 'high tea'.

Linner by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:08:02 AM EST

sounds good to me by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 10:29:17 AM EST
that is my lunchtime anyway.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I'll be there by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 12:31:28 PM EST
Particularly as it is in close proximity to my lair. The only problem is how to fill my day before then. The need to not be home will be strong as roommate the useless is moving out that day, and I want to not help in a way that doesn't involve me being there and not helping.

Also, I don't drink tea, but my time in Vegas taught  me that it's never too early to start drinking, so I'm sure I'll find an appropriate beverage for the hour.

oh good. by ana (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 12:40:44 PM EST
and remember, it's never too early for cephalopods.

Which, the spellchecker insists, should read cyclopedias. I'm pretty sure that's not even a word.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

(Comment Deleted) by jared (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 27, 2007 at 06:33:00 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by jared

Dunch. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback