Print Story This is Radio Orchid.
By Bartleby (Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 03:50:12 PM EST) (all tags)
Listen and cry.

This quote inspired by the intro to BlueOregon's 2007.02.08 diary. Which I don't get, by the way. The significance of the part about Fury in the Slaughterhouse, that is.

Weialawei.

Inside: Things That Amuse Me, or With My Sense Of Humour It's No Wonder I'm Depressed.

Just to remind myself that life's not only doom and gloom, and perhaps for your amusement, too, dear reader, a few things that made me laugh recently:

a) This comment by toxicfur. Thank you.

b) The title of this section, quoting a musician talking between pieces during a blues/zydeco concert I heard on the radio, in the dialect of his home region of Rheingau (west of Frankfurt). I can't reproduce what's funny about this even in standard German, let alone English, and what could be less funny than the explanation of a joke? So, just for the sake of completeness: "The a isn't right anyway and the e isn't right either". I suspect this is also the sort of joke that isn't funny if it isn't in a dialect, even if it could be told in the standard language.

c) A radio show on Finnish humour, featuring among others M. A. Numminen. I once saw him, lucky me, when he was here in town for a combined concert and reading of his novel "Tango on intohimoni" ("Tango is my passion", though I don't know if there's an English translation, in German the book is called "Tango ist meine Leidenschaft"). He must have decided he can't sing, usually he squeaks, really. Or squeals. I like the pieces in which he puts philosophical or linguistic texts to music, such as in his Tractatus Suite. Imagine a tune that wouldn't be out of place in a German beer tent, and the band singing along at the top of their lungs and with a cheerfully thick Finnish accent "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen." Or a tune reminiscent of a Lutheran choral, though accompanied by accordeon and cello, and Swedish lyrics that say: "When we form the sentence 'What is?', we notice that the subject is the answer to the question."*

d) deserves a section of its own. See below.

(Und da stehen sie wieder in Zweierreihen an der) Pommesbude (und warten auf das, was ihnen gebührt)

How's that for an elaborate song title? Two weeks ago S called and asked whether I'd like to come over for dinner with pJ at S's place. After dinner we listened to a rather odd mix of music, progressing from Schubert's Winterreise to ...songs... well, let's call them songs, by Helge Schneider (English, German wikipedia page).

I still must have a Schneider cassette somewhere around here that I received as a present in the early nineties. Didn't seem my cup of tea at the time, in fact it left me rather confused. Schneider has a sort of stop -and-go humour; most of the time he's just improvising something, anything; whenever you sense he just might be heading towards a punchline, he would suddenly change directions, or do nothing at all. Very bizarre. At the time I wondered if I should be angry at myself for sitting there wasting time, listening to somebody slinging crap at me, or if I just didn't get it. After all, Schneider is not an idiot who should never have been allowed onto the stage, but has a reputation as a really decent jazz musician. I guess it was the same kind of befuddlement that kept audiences coming back, asking for more.

Today, I must confess, I find the anarchic anti-joke routine does get old. Still, what I heard on that evening at S's cracked me up like nothing else in a year or so. Being together with other people probably helped.

The section title is from a Schneider song that I liked better than his usual stuff. I guess it appeals to my old-fashioned taste by including things like a beginning, a middle and an end, also lyrics and playing rather than torturing a piano. I tried to find the CD at the library or the lyrics online, but to no avail. In the song, pompous language and music (allusions to Neue Musik, contemporary "serious" music; Zimmermann, Henze, that sort of thing), produced with the passion and melodrama of a cabaret chanteuse, clash loudly with a totally pointless story. "(Look at them standing in double lines again in front of the) French fries booth (and waiting to be given what is their due)". (NOTE: I have a feeling I failed completely in trying to produce acceptable English here, but I can't see what went wrong.)

Last night it started to snow again. During the day most of the snow melted, but now, at night once more, the world outside is turning white again. The wind has picked up, too, and there is a lot of clanging and howling noises. This usually means that I won't sleep well, so who can blame the cup of coffee I'm drinking right now, in the middle of the night.

Poll: favourite prophet; because I stumbled over this wikipedia entry. What a way to go.

This is it for today; tune in again at [unspecified time soon, honest] for "Thomas Pynchon and the Helmet of Horror"!

Good night.

----------

*Did I get that correctly? "Om vi gestaltar satsen Vad är? märker vi att subjektet då är svaret på frågan."

< 2007.02.09: maybe a little bake? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
This is Radio Orchid. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
FitSH by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 04:52:56 PM EST

Not much significance to be gotten -- almost like an in-joke where 1) I'm the only one to get it and 2) it's not funny.

A 1991 Fury in the Slaughterhouse concert was one of my first concerts -- free ticket by way of my host father's company sponsoring the event. Later in the year I copied a cassette of their music. It's not that it was great music, though it was decent, but it was in a way my music. Then in 1993 a college hallmate found and liked Mono, which had been released in the US; I had gotten a copy, too. Then in 1999 or so when I managed to be in Marburg for a few hours before heading back to Frankfurt to fly home I stopped by a department store I used to frequent when living there and found two FitSH CDs (Pure: Live! and Hooka Hey; that is, a live CD based on material from their first album and their first album), so I got them for the sake of nostalgia.

Before going to Berlin I ripped my entire CD collection, put it on an external drive, and took it with me. This January, after realizing that there is a lot of stuff in my collection to which I have never listened and other stuff to which I very rarely listen, I decided to go through my music directory alphabetically by artist. FitSH is my last "F" entry, and that's what I was on when posting that diary.

The "quote" itself is the announcer on the 1st track of the concert CD announcing the band before the band comes out to play "Revelation."

Earlier in the day I had listened to "Radio Orchid," track 4 on Mono.

"not great music, though it was decent" by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 12:32:15 AM EST
My impression exactly. FitSH is one of those bands in whose case I keep forgetting that I already know them. So, a while ago I heard "Radio Orchid" on the radio, it sounded familiar, and by googling for a chunk of the lyrics I had memorised (I wasn't too sure about the spelling of the [awkid] part) I found it. "Ah, the butchered horse, of course!" Once I had the lyrics handy, I considered working them into a diary, but in the end I didn't.

There's a good part of my music collection ("heap" is more like it, actually, it being as disorganized as I am) that owes some of the appeal it has for me to being from countries and in languages I have a soft spot for, or fond memories of, rather than to its strictly artistic qualities. Much of that is on records or cassettes which I very rarely listen to. I should go with the times and move them onto my computer. If I ever can be arsed to figure out how and get whatever equipment I might need.

Now I must go and look for those Mašina vremeni cassettes.

Swedish by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 02:07:13 AM EST
Yup, sounds about right.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Tak. (n/t) by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 02:56:12 AM EST

Glad I could make you laugh. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 04:29:04 AM EST
The dishwasher loading trick is kind of a running gag between ana and me. It begins to get full-ish, and ana will call me with, "I need some magic over here." That's not as useful a skill, as mrgoat pointed out, as being able to incinerate stuff at will.

-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
A moment of comic relief on a day... by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 05:20:06 AM EST
I'd otherwise rather forget.

I could use a superpower similar to yours occasionally when traveling, when less stuff fits into bags or backpack than absolutely has to. That would have to be combined, however, really, with the superpower to uncrumple clothes and uncrumble food items.

i can pack a suitcase by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 06:47:09 AM EST
like nobody's business. in austria, i took only a small carry-on sized suitcase, and managed to fit into it almost the same amount of stuff my friends got into their giant suitcases. well, i travel a *little* lighter than they do but i still got enough stuff into mine that they asked me to come help them re-pack. i showed them the miracle of "stuff clothes in a ziploc, sit on it, and zip."
---------
Dance On, Gir!
You're hired! by Bartleby (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 09:34:20 AM EST
I used to be better at not packing so much unnecessary stuff in the first place. There was a period when I was moving about twice a year, so I got into the habit of hauling stuff around, and of having an eye on getting rid of unnecessary things in time. These days, I don't travel much, so I'm out of practice.

they make matches. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 06:44:17 AM EST
but i get to play with fire daily at work, though it'd be easier to be able to do it without needing the bunsen...
---------