Print Story Shock diary entry
By Dr H0ffm4n (Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:00:05 AM EST) yawn, lists, work, stuff (all tags)
The problem with not writing a diary for a while is that you keep putting off writing a diary because there's just too much stuff to relate and it's a major effort.

Who am I kidding? Like there's really been that much happen since last April...

May
Lost my job. Contract wasn't renewed. I really wasn't that bothered. I'd been going into the office only once or twice a month and had delivered virtually nothing for two years. They were still paying me over the odds for 5 day a weeks. So convincing them I was essential and worth the money was going to be somewhat tricky.

Went to Turkey. Kalkan to be precise. Very relaxing.

June
I lazed around at home.
Major Midget turned 11.

July
I continued lazing around at home, living off savings.
I turned (counts on fingers) 37.

August
I bummed around at home. Savings starting to dwindle.

WPKAW lost her job. Apparently working in HR does not mean you should actually spend time talking to people. Especially in a Japanese company. They don't do chat at work.

Took Midgets and WPKAW to Italy with Club Med. Place was full of French people. Calabria is not very touristy though.

September
Major Midget started at an all girls secondary school.
WPKAW signs up to go back to Uni to take a postgrad course in HR. She's going to become an HR consultant, she's decided.

October
I get a contract in Docklands. Not a place I'd ever been keen to work. Travel is a pain. A lot less money too. But needs must. Tax bills to pay and starving midgets to feed.

WPKAW starts at Uni. Very enthusiastic. I buy her a cheapo laptop so she doesn't hog the PC at home. She thinks it's because I love her. Win-win.

November
WPKAW realises that Universities are just as crap at teaching as they were ten years ago. The saying is true, Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. She complains to the course leaders about the total disorganisation. Her email bounces. Phones are not answered and office doors are always locked. Students start running a book on whether teachers will turn up to class or not.

My new job is not as advertised. This does not surprise me. Jobs are never as advertised. The surprise is that this one is actually more interesting than I had expected and the people are great. Company is cash rich so projects have loads of resources, realistic deadlines and no stress at all.

December
Manage not to totally spank the credit card on Christmas presents, even though most are bought online. Thank TISM for interweb shopping.

Project at work goes live. On time. On budget. Am praised for all the hard work I've done? Apparently they fired the last two people that held my position because they just couldn't cut it. I am left perplexed. As far as I'm concerned, I've done sweet FA since I got here.

January
Paid last years tax excess. And negotiated a lower payment on account since I'd not worked for over 4 months in 2006.

February
And here we are.

Loads of other stuff happened, I'm sure. but If I spent time trying to remember I'd never post this thing and I'd never get around to writing another diary again.

I've seen loads of films in my time off work and been to the theatre a number of times. But I'll deal with those another time.

< Home cinema systems | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Shock diary entry | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:10:55 AM EST
Congrats on the "new" job I guess.  Also: 37?  I don't recall you looking that haggardwise when we last met.

ObWhen'sTheWedding.

You had yer beer goggles on by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:38:54 AM EST
And it was a couple of years ago. At least.

Bear in mind by Herring (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:11:05 AM EST
that 1969 was a very good year for extremely attractive people.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Oh! by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:34:18 AM EST
So Bryan Adams was singing about you.

Yes, he was. [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:40:02 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Your intro = me too by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:18:23 AM EST
Congrats on having a few months off work.

Which university are you talking about?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

London Met on Holloway Road by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:39:16 AM EST

Some of the old Polys are a bit useless by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:46:00 AM EST
I nearly went there but heard bad things about it. Went to South Bank instead - it was pretty good (apart from one of my tutors being off sick for an entire year without a replacement).

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Most postgrads pay all their own fees by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:31:11 AM EST
So they do get pissed off when they don't get what they've paid for. WPKAW has missed ~20% of classes due to the lecturers not showing up and has most of her classes scheduled in the evening this semester, even though the prospectus lists the course as a full-time day-time course.

Nice to know you're still alive. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:23:21 AM EST
"Jobs are never as advertised." Ain't that the truth. In my case the job description is usually as thin as possible, as the jobs usually require a security clearance. They can't tell me what I'll be doing until they've verified the clearance.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

TISM? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:45:11 AM EST
The Invisible Spank Monkey?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
TISM by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 04:48:58 AM EST
The Invisible Sky Midget.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

The Insistent Sexy Mistress. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:14:01 AM EST
IYKWIM.

WB has a picture of a Monkey on his skype avatar by creo (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:25:40 AM EST
One of the Finns asked what the name of the monkey was.

His reply: Spanky.

She didnt get why I  sprayed my monitor with the mouthful of tea tha I was just drinking while listening to this.

She still doesn't. Anglo's have such a childish sense of humour.

Cheers
Creo.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

Spaghetti Monster? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 05:40:17 AM EST

Where abouts in the Docklands? by TPD (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:32:13 AM EST
if you've ever seen a drunk stumbling bloke who looks a bit like a TPD in the evenings, chances are it is a TPD I'm working in the docklands a couple of days most weeks.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Somwhere between by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 06:34:10 AM EST
Waitrose and CitiBank.