Print Story this isn't NPR
By StackyMcRacky (Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:13:11 AM EST) (all tags)
you'll find nothing witty and insightful

One of my least favorite things about being pregnant is getting "advice" from single, childless men that I don't know beyond facial recognition.  Yesterday, I run into a buddy and this other dude in the hall.  Buddy and I are shooting the shit when..
dude: You've really got a stomach!  What are you - 4 or 5 months now?
me: um...10 weeks.
dude:  WOW!  You'd better start those exercises now, otherwise you won't be able to go into labor!
me: ...
Seriously, WTF?

At least women and men with kids don't shove advice down your throat; they usually preface with, "When I/my wife was pregnant $thing worked well for me/her."

Work is making me extremely violent these days.  I'm over worked, under-clued, and have a laundry list 10 miles long.  Here are some choice conversations from just this morning:

person: Stacky, I need you to do $bigthing Friday night
me: I can't, I have another project that night
person: but I need you to!
me: I can't, I have another project that night.  It's high-priority
person: <barks a bunch of angry stuff>
me: I'm sorry, we'll have to schedule it for sometime after mid-March
person: I'm calling your boss!
me: I have a better idea, he's standing right over there. Let me go get him....
person: forget it, we'll schedule for March.

rude guy: Stacky, we're migrating a system onto our new SAN, and it will need to be backed up.
me: ok, how much data are we talking about, and when will the backups need to begin?
rg: 6TB at the beginning of March
me: A full 6TB, or you're giving them a 6TB space to grow into?
rg: full 6TB, will grow to 10TB
me: we can't do that right now, as we only have 7TB of disk on Tivoli.  Fortunately, we're working on space projections, so we'll be able to include that data for the additional storage purchase we're making next month.
rg: Well, it has to be backed up, and it has to be on Tivoli!
me: Well, if we do that, then we won't be able to back up any other system.  It will just have to wait a little while.  How is it being backed up now?  Can we just continue that method until we get more space?
rg: <angry stuff>
me: That's fine, but things are the way they are.  I can't make 6TB appear out of thin air.  I'll mention this to my boss, and we'll be sure to plan for it in our upcoming purchase.
rg: Whatever!  <storms off>

So yeah, that was my morning.  It only goes downhill from here.  We're all stressed, everybody's understaffed....so let's not be ugly to one another, m'kay?  I'm trying to do the work of 3 people, so things are just going to have to wait.  I've come to really hate this job - I'm tired of the abuse.  If I weren't pregnant, I'd be quitting immediately.

Unplanned expenses just keep on hitting us.  It makes saving a pile of money rather difficult.  At least there's no debt.  Well, no consumer debt.  More fear of the future.

Poor Porschea is just stressed out.  I wish I knew how to make my puppy know it's all going to be OK.

Ugh, I should have stayed home today.  I'm just too sick to function.  Maybe I can get away with staring at the wall for the next few hours.

< Oh. I, er... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
this isn't NPR | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Did you consider by wiredog (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:36:16 AM EST
barfing on any of those guys? You only have to do that once or twice and the word will get around. "Don't mess with Pregnant Stacky, she'll barf on ya."

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

that would rule! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:39:38 AM EST
i wouldn't even have to barf, i bet i could just start dry heaving!

Never ask a woman when she's due by thenick (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:46:01 AM EST
Ever. Wait for her to acknowledge that she's pregnant. While it may make you appear to not care about the woman's pregnancy even if you do, there's always the off chance that you may be asking the due date of a woman who just happens to be overweight.

Like my dad's boss did once. To a director at the EPA. The director who was in charge of the investigation of the company my dad worked for.

----------------------------

"'Vengence is Mine', quoth Alvis. And then he shot the guy, right in the freaking face!"

even worse by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:51:36 AM EST
the dude in question acted like he was Mr Pregnancy.

do exercises or else I won't be able to go into labor?  WTF?

hilarious story, btw.

It's true by debacle (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:19:52 AM EST
If you don't do at least 50 pelvis thrusts a day the baby will be born with two heads and come out your navel.

Yeah by thenick (4.00 / 2) #19 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:46:13 AM EST
And don't forget to work on the proper posture during delivery (probably NSFW).

----------------------------

AHHH AHHH AHHH by debacle (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:53:36 AM EST
That sculpture would make H. R. Geiger envious.

Oh my dear sweet lord.

You are a very, very bad man.

Meh by hulver (4.00 / 2) #26 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:43:29 PM EST
That's not a very accurate sculpture. The Baby's head is too small and not stretching things enough. It gets a lot tighter than that when the head is crowning.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I did that once by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:54:57 AM EST
Once.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

recommendation by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:55:42 AM EST
you had better get your taxes done now, i heard that makes the birthing process go all the more smoother.

i heard by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 09:57:20 AM EST
if you put a knife under the bed, it cuts the pain in two.

I heard by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:01:32 AM EST
The knife was for cutting the husband in two when he shows up in the delivery room wearing a catchers mitt.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

no no by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:09:08 AM EST
after mating, the woman tears the head off the male and lays her eggs in him.

the children feed off the male until they hatch.

Different in humans by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #21 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 11:58:48 AM EST
They feed off the male AFTER hatching.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

pregancy by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:01:50 AM EST
I think that most of those that have undergone pregnancy, or watched it up close, are way to familiar with the idiotic "advice" you get to do it themselves.

But really, you need to learn those exercises! Otherwise the baby won't come out! You don't want to be one of those woman wondering around still pregnant after a year do you!?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

i was hoping by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:08:28 AM EST
after a few years i'd just get a headache, and have somebody split my head open so a fully grown and clothed woman would jump out.

we could name her "Athena"

But Athena's a Cylon! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:17:12 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

but she's a member of the fleet! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:19:56 AM EST
Adama trusts her!

Doesn't make her Human! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:35:22 AM EST
I mean, despite the fact that she can interbreed with Humans. Which is sort of the definition of species membership. Which means that all Cylons are, by definition, Human. Which sort of derails the whole "X is really a Cylon" set of plot points since, if all Cylons are Human, all Humans are Cylons.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

you put too much thought into it by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:45:29 AM EST
it's just a space opera, dude.

It starts as 'space opera' by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 12:02:06 PM EST
But turn your back for a minute and it becomes a dangerous cult.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

as long as i don't have to see the by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 03:15:52 PM EST
Quandrangle of Doom, it's all good.

That didn't require any though at all by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 03:18:00 AM EST
It just came up while hanging around talking with some friends. One of whom is a biology PHd.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO: It depends... by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:15:23 AM EST
IT for the most part is abusive in that management feels that they can walk all over meek geek-like folks with impunity.  The sad part is that we've let them do this for years.

Now that I'm in product development, life is much better.  We can push our deadlines back or drop scope, it's up to the customer, but we're not going to break ourselves to get it all done RIGHT NOW!!11.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
i always felt by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 10:26:32 AM EST
that the end-users who don't know jack about IT caused most of the problems.  They'd purchase software, hardware, etc and set up a schedule without talking to anybody first.

And then they'd come down hard on mgmt about deadlines.

My current manager is really great - he smacks peopel around all the time.  Above him tho, there is a whole realm of cluelessness

Where's the procurement process? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 06:03:03 AM EST
If people want things right now, they should have ordered them a reasonable time ago. I would have thought a major healthcare provider would have a pretty tightly budget controlled IT procurement process?

Advice does generally suck by theboz (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 03:52:26 PM EST
However, sometimes you get good advice that works amidst all the B.S.

If anyone gives you a hard time about weight gain, you have my permission to beat their head in with a 2x4. My wife had to deal with that from women in her family who were pregnant like 20 - 30 years ago when women starved themselves while pregnant to remain unhealthily skinny.
- - - - -

fortunately by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:18:41 AM EST
my relatives don't talk to me about weight.  just about all of them are overwieght, and i'm one of the few who never has been.  they won't even bring the subject up with me.

the advice that bothers me is from the totally clueless people, like the dude in my example.  I mean seriously, if i don't do exercises I won't be able to go into labor?   WTF?

heh heh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:34:48 AM EST
If that were true, it would be instant population control for junk-food obsessed couch potato chavs.

WIPO: IT is defined by negatives. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 05:34:41 PM EST
If you do a good job, no one notices. If you screw up even once, people come out of the wood work looking for your head.

Our new California Overlords decided it was time to merge our networks. Let's just say we couldn't use our source repository for a week. As of today, sections of our network were still flickering in and out of existence.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

over the weekend by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 04:21:14 AM EST
they moved our internet access to direct (thru AT&T) instead of through the medical school we were once associated with.

well, it seems nobody realized that access to many medical and clinical journals restrict access by domain....and it hast o be an educational domain.  we have a giant pile of angry researchers, physicians and clinicians because upper mgmt once again didn't thing.

I'm laughing (because this time, it isn't my problem).

You must have bored of my Tivoli help/inquiries by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 06:27:27 AM EST
as you stopped replying. If I was being anything but helpful (read:TSM ignoramus), sorry.

ack! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #33 Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 06:42:52 AM EST
no, you were really helpful.  i just saw something shiny and.....well.

they did call me back about my open case.  current theory is that our MVS group changed stuff so MVS gets the highest priority for all tapes being put in.  Instead of the library polling to see who owns the tape, MVS is just claiming everything that gets inserted (all of the problem TSM tapes are showing up in the MVS database).

the fix is to put in an exclusion range of volsers in the MVS database.  Our dudes don't know how to do that, so I need to call back and find somebody who can help them (which I havent' had time for in a week).  it would be nice if they weren't such lazy bastards, and made a few phone calls themselves.

this isn't NPR | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback