Print Story Ask HuSi: Fostex VF160
I'm moving in a couple weeks and by April should have my grand piano at home. I haven't jet done a MFC but would like to. I have the chance to get one of these Fostex mixers for only €300. It's complete with the CD drive. Anyone have any experience with these?

Me an' Fostex go way back. I could record bands cheap on their recorders that could drop 16 tracks onto only half-inch tape. They were pretty reliable.

I'm thinking this thing's four years old and will probably need the HD replaced. I'll need to check Fostex if it's possible to slap something bigger in there and I'll probably have to use Ghost to copy over the boot sectors and possibly program information.

New apartment found, and right in the heart of the centre of Munich near Isartor. Huzzah! Taking posession on the 13th. The rent is only about 15% more for 30% more floorspace and a great location rather than the shithole area I've been in for the past 6.5 years. It'll suck having to take a taxi home from working at the bar but that's life.

As to the Packing of Shit, among the accumulated crap-ola I'm dumping is a shit 15" monitor which requires special drivers and can only do 800x600, a couple 386s, a blown 486, a dozen old NICs (mostly BNC connectors), a dead 8-channel KVM, a dead 16-channel rackmount KVM, and much, much more.

I really hate fucking packing and moving. Did it with mum in 2004 to move her from the house to the condo, then had to pack up all that shit again (plus further accumulations) after she died, and now less than a year after the last packing and shipping, I'm packing again. This sucks, Beavis.

So in case you got too distracted, please to be informing about Fostex VF160.

< HTPC Construction | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask HuSi: Fostex VF160 | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Don't ask me by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:12:12 AM EST
I thought it was a small motorbike until I read the text.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Question by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:18:22 AM EST
Why a self-contained recording thing rather than using a PC? There's a lot more you can do with the PC, you'd just need an ASIO thingy.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
ASIO thingee by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:59:46 AM EST
Don't have one. Dunno what it is. Can't be arsed to ghugel it. And I'd still have to buy that. This thing I could take to a show and plug it in to grab a performance and then mix it later.

I used to work in recording and find the "standard interface" quite comfortable. I can tweak multiple faders on the fly, something I can't do by clicking and dragging the damned mouse.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Ah - if mobility is a concern by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 04:23:36 AM EST
I see where you're coming from. Having one thing rather than laptop + box + cables would be easier.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Actually by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 12:05:51 PM EST
Most (all??) current home studio software apps support automation so you can move 64 or 164 faders all at the same time if you wish. No clicking needed.

Unless you really have a serious reason to go with a dedicated machine it would be worth your while to have a look at the computer/software recording paradigm.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:57:29 PM EST
How to I slide multiple faders up or down at different rates simultaneously -- in real time -- using a keyboard and mouse? Even on big-ass 64-track Neve consoles with flying faders, you move multiple faders at the sametime and tweak the fly as necessary.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 06, 2007 at 07:35:01 AM EST
You need to set them up one at at time by creating a volume envelope for the track (or some software has a "record" feature that records your mouse movements), but once that's done it's done.

You can have all your tracks with envelopes on them, all moving precisely where you want at the precise moment you want. Some software has an interface that allows you to connect to a hardware mixer if you want to actually move the faders with your fingers.

Plus a PC gives you so much more - you can do midi, you can access tons of great software plugins allowing you to change/add effects or softsynths in a non destructive manner.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

i've seen 'em... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:20:59 AM EST
...and heard good things.  and there's stuff out there about yanking the drives, etc (a student of mine played that game once).  price seems right, etc.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

on pulling the drive by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 03:56:18 AM EST
I'd yank the thing on principle: it's a 4-year-old 30GB drive. It's probably past its MTBF, and with my luck, the MBR or other important sectors would be the first to go.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

NAECHSTE HALTE by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 08:47:48 AM EST
ROOOOOSENHEIMMMMER PLATZ!

FALSCHE RICHTUNG by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 11:04:44 AM EST
MARIENPLATZ. Näxt stawp, Marienplatz. Pleese exit ze tren on ze <singsong>raight händ saide</singsong>.

Then two more stops to Hauptbahnhof to catch the U1. Commute's about the same time but now riding a bike to work is more difficult, not that I do it very often.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Ask HuSi: Fostex VF160 | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback