Print Story ABC admits to falling Lost Ratings
By haplopeart (Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 11:19:48 AM EST) Lost, TV sucks, ABC execs are idiots (all tags)
Well DUH!...you have been systematically running the show into the ground.  Its not reallt suprising its a JJ Abrams Show and the same thing happened to Alias

My wife and I used to love Lost.  The First two seasons were great we were sucked in from the openning shot of the Pilot.  However latemid second season the signs of trouble and annoyance reared up.

1.  So many plot lines that seemed to strech on forever with no conclusion even remotely insight.
Things left out in the cold forever it seems, the whole Micheal/Walt thing was really annoying, and then to have a 20 second reuniuon and then have them sail off....UGH!  What did the others want with Walt?  What happened to him on the otherside of the Island, its all still a mystery...we wanted some conclusion to that, we never got one.

LOCKE! Why was he in the Goddamned Wheelchair...I wanna know, I wanna know now, stop stringing us along. 'nuff said.

What is the Dharma project, how is it related to the others?  What are the others up to, why are they professing to be the "Good Guys" and killing people, what the Hell was Ethan's problem?

Whats the Deal with Danielle?  What happened to her family, where is she now, how does her stolen baby related to the others?

Whats the deal with Claire's Baby why were the others interested in him?

What the hell did the others want with Sawyer and Kate?  We at least have some clue about Jack now, but what about them just bait to get Jack to do what they wanted?

Why did we have all that stuff about the other end of plan just to kill everyone except Bernard?

I could go on...but its just driving me nuts thinking about it.

2.  Re-Runs, Re-Runs, Re-Runs...thats a great way to loose Viewer interest and kill shows.  Very iritating.

1. Commercials, Commercials, Commercials, they got out of control in the late Mide Season two and came to a head at the end of season, it hasn't gotten any better in Season 3.
  2. Screwing about with Schedule and time slot.  9 was the right time 10 is too late, its not a 100 O'clock show, its really not...and starting late in the season, showing 6 episodes and then disappearing for over 2 months....Not good, not a way to get an keep viewer loyalty.
Does anyone else remember when shows started in September, ran pretty much all of their episodes back to back until the end of the run, maybe thorwing in a re-run, or not showing only during holiday weeks.  Of couse the length of a season was somewhere between 22-26+ insome cases episodes, Commericials where pretty much on the 0, 15, 30, 45 and lasted a couple minutes at most as well.

You want to know why TV viewership is falling off, why viewer loyalty is so hard to win and keep...look no further than Lost as a case study.  Its done everything possible to piss off its viewer base, and then some.

< Too much time on my hands. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ABC admits to falling Lost Ratings | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
the latest episode sucked by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 11:30:52 AM EST
i'm with you, too many questions without any answers.

It pissed me off by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 12:42:26 PM EST
The damn previous kept going on about how things were going to be explained/revealed this week. When the credits rolled, I looked at my wife and said "uh...did we learn anything?"

By explanations, I expected something a bit more interesting than "what Jack's tattoo said".

The time is especially lame. BSG did the same damn thing. Don't those stupid execs realize that some of us get up at 5:30!? "Gee, we scheduled a show after most people go to bed...why'd the ratings go down!?"

I'm also pissed off about all the interesting characters that are being ignored during the Jack and Dianne and Sawyer show. What I liked about the show in the first place was the way it moved from character to character, and gave them all time.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 12:46:23 PM EST
I dunno...I'll give it to the end of the year, probably, but if they don't goddamn start explaining things, that's it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Did you see the Alias finale? by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 03:40:36 PM EST
Trust me, you don't want JJ Abrahms to explain anything.

If you want to see a really good sci-fi show, where each thread is followed up in a satisfying way, with smart dialogue, crazy twists, edge-of-your-seat tension, witty writing, and no ham-fisted, melodramatic manipulation, seek out "Day Break". It was a self-contained series, only supposed to run for 13 episodes, but didn't last past 6. Fortunately, they aired the rest of the episodes on abc.com, so the whole series is floating around in cyberspace. Except the final ep, which is to be released next week.

Lost, Battlestar, Heroes... I hate them all. They're all the same show. The concepts are so attractive to their viewers I think a lot of people forgive them way too much.

the first season of BSG was great by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 06:37:58 PM EST
then it became what you just described.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

the first season of Rome was great by cam (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 06:06:42 AM EST
Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 07:19:41 PM EST
Their mistake was killing off Caesar. They never should have done that.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
It used to be by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 05:28:07 AM EST
that the TV "season" was tied to new car sales. The season started when the next year models were released (usually Sept or Oct). That's still true to some extent, but less so.

Also, it used to be that an hour show was about 50 minutes long (with 10+/- minutes of commercials). Now, an hour show is slightly more than 40 minutes.

You can't get away from the commercials.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

network Tv sucks by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 04:56:58 PM EST
Film at 11.

Click
It Lost me by johnny (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 05:38:15 PM EST
In our house, we don't get TV. Haven't for 20 years. But I do watch shows like Lost on DVD, and it's particularly convenient that Dear Wife is a librarian in charge of ordering DVDs, and that part of her job is taking newly arrived packages home for Quality Assurance. Especially shows that we would like to watch ourselves. So commercial interruptions don't bother me.

Dear Wife really loved the first several episodes of Lost and said she would sit through them again if I would watch them with her to catch up, so we could watch the remainder together.

I tried, but I couldn't do it. It was kind of amusing for a few hours, but finally I said, "So it's X files, only without Scully and Mulder, or humor, or topicality, or genuine weirdness, or good acting, or complex moral agents like Inspector Skinner, or classic trademarks like the flashlight scenes?" And Dear Wife responded.  "Exactly.  But they don't make X-files any more, so shut up."

I stopped watching after about five episodes, but she hung on for a while longer. Eventually she too gave up on it. "Enough is enough, already."

I really did like the episode where the very heavy guy (whose name I forget) has all the trouble with the lottery number. That was pretty much up to X-files standards. But so many of the other episodes had the feel of X-files, only "dumbed down." If you take a show like that, an ersatz X-files, and remove wit, what are you left with? Scooby-Doo, I guess. On an island. Or maybe Beverly Hills 90210, on an island.

[Aside: Sudden insight department: maybe the circumstance that I do in fact live on an island takes away some of the exotic appeal of the show to mainlanders? True, Martha's Vineyard isn't exactly the Lost island. But its physical boundaries are always in evidence, and it's a simple fact of life for us islanders that sometimes you can't get off the rock. In the winter, especialy, the boats are fewer and stop running earlier in the day. And if a bad storm comes up, you ain't getting off, even if you own your own boat or airplane.. .]

X-files of course grew bloated with all kinds of plot about aliens and government and Mulder's sister and Scully's impregnation. But the cool thing, it seems to me, was that those plot threads were there for narrative logic, to impel Mulder along, but they were only as essential to the whole idea as the song is to an inspired jazz improvisation. Jazz is all about the riffing off the basic seed idea; it's not about the seed idea itself.

OK I think I've belabored this much point much more than enough.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.