Print Story You gotta know when to hold 'em
Breakups
By Evil Cloaked User (Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 12:20:00 PM EST) (all tags)
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run.

Time to fold. I'm sick of customers

I just did out a Powerpoint presentation. I feel dirty.

I have a customer, nominally an engineering company, who require IT support. When I got into this game, there was a certain development/support ratio. At the start, it was top-heavy. Which was good. It became less so. In both senses. Like I said, this customer is nominally an engineering company. I remember when they actually employed engineers. Now it's 80% accountants. I hate accountants.

They're pretty much symptomatic of the problem inherent in my work. I went from writing software for their products, so explaining to the new girl that if she wanted her web browsing to speed up she needed to un-tick the "Always dial my default connection" box when she's in the office.

Anyway, the CFO rang me the other day and asked where the accounts were backed up. Now, here's the thing - the accounting software is a multi-user set up with a mix of database, and raw file, based storage. To run a backup, you need to get everyone to log off, and then manually run the backup macro. A fact I've explained many times to the CFO, and the CEO. They back it up to a networked drive, I back up the networked drives.

Apparently, they never have done.

They wanted a proposal for an automatable system. So I figure a virtualised server that can be snap-shotted. Tomorrow, I give a presentation explaining this, and the other benefits to be had with a virtualised server. The last slide is explaining the different options for moving to the new server. Namely that I do the migration and then hand the system over to a new IT support company of their choosing, or that the new support company does it so that they're familiar with the system and I just fuck off home. Mental note - make sure to memorise which slide is second-to-last so I can prep them.

After that, I head up the road to dump my other remaining customer, and then I'm free. Or at least on my way to being free.

A gradual tapering off of awkward phone calls at odd hours, from ex-customers and ex-girlfriends alike.

Oh, yes, I'm single again. It lasted 6.5 months this time. Nearly a record.
< Camp! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
You gotta know when to hold 'em | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Glad it didn't work out by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 01:20:14 PM EST
We missed you.

Is that with regard to work? by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 01:52:30 PM EST
Or the girlfriend?

Either way, thanks.

The customers haven't really been taking up the bulk of my time, just causing the bulk of my stress. The company that I did most work for while contracting has hired me full time as an employee. They were consuming at least 60 hours a week of my time anyway though, so in that sense, not a whole lot will change. What will change is living in fear of my phone ringing, knowing that I'm always on the job.

My next step in avoiding the nightmare that is support is to buy a Mac so I can smugly announce that I don't use Windows when people ask me to fix their machine. It's a cliché, but it's a cliché with eye-candy and a decent shell.

take it from me... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 03:22:23 PM EST
...you fire up that mac and no one will ask you for computer advice again ever!  i've been a professional 'doze coder for 10 years and hacking on *nix for longer.  the minute i started carrying around a powerbook, people started assuming that i don't know shit about anything.

and it rocks.  a lot.  the assumption that i'm a mac snob has many benefits.   i have my ooey gui goodness and my slick shell.  life is good.

sorry about the gf tho.  but trust me, there are other fish in the sea.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hey, congrats by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 03:46:34 PM EST
I'm single again too; maybe one of these days I'll get around to diarising about it (although to be honest it's not that interesting)

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
where's the daughter? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 04:27:00 PM EST

The daughter by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 12:08:47 PM EST
Lives with her mother, about 50 miles away. We all still get on really well, and I have my daughter to stay every weekend (either Friday night/Saturday day time or Friday night/Saturday/Sunday day time).

It's been about 8 weeks now, and so far it's all working pretty well. My daughter clearly misses me when I'm not there, but the alternative (staying together for her sake) simply wasn't working, and would have been counter-productive in the end.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

wooo by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 10:46:59 PM EST
Now that does deserve congratulations!

Thanks by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 12:12:34 PM EST
It's actually been about 7 months now, but early in the new year they moved out, so it's officially official and obvious to even the most hardened of cynics.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Now where's cute receptionist in her bath towel? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 04:08:46 AM EST

You gotta know when to hold 'em | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback