Print Story Job Interview
By Histle JJL Mechanics (Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 07:58:01 AM EST) (all tags)
So I have a job interview tomorrow. And I am afraid.

I am afraid that they will offer me a job.

See, I've never known how to bargain when it comes to my starting salary. I don't know when its appropriate to do so (was my opportunity during the phone interview?) or even how to do, who makes the first offer, how much is too much, et cetera. And is there ever a chance that if I bargain they will withdraw the job offer?

Please give me all the advice you can. Thank you.

< Here comes the thaw, and it's alright | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Job Interview | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ask for a single payment of by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 09:20:27 AM EST
ONE BEEEELION DOLLARS!!!1!

Give them a link to your Diaries here... by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 09:28:38 AM EST
then let them get back to you on the salary offer.

lol by Histle JJL Mechanics (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 09:53:00 AM EST
ok but don't act like i'm the worst one here

You're not. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 04:22:14 PM EST
I'd suggest waiting until they ask you about your mother, then you know what to do.

You can ask for more money whenever you want. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:19:02 AM EST
But the best time is usually either:

A: When they ask you how much you need.

OR

B: When they make you an offer.

Depending on what field you're in, you can ask for 5-50% more money. The more skilled your position, the more you can bargain for, obviously.

It's appropriate to do so at the offer stage by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:21:22 AM EST
Wait for them to say something. In fact, try to avoid discussing salary that much before they make an offer. However, I'm not good about haggling, either.

Salary by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:48:04 PM EST
Do your research. Look up on other job sites how much the role pays elsewhere. Then wait for the offer. If your offer is comparable, then you don't have an issue. If the offer is below par, then you might want to think about any other benefits that this job may have, like a shorter commute or support for attending school.

If it's still not a good offer, don't be afraid to look disappointed and tell them. Once they have made an offer to a candidate, the bargaining power switches to you. They have made a significant investment in finding a suitable candidate, and do not want to lose you at this late stage of the process. So they are quite likely to move a little on the offer, or come back with additional benefits.

Do not believe them if they say they'll employ you now and review your salary later. Your only real chance to negotiate is up front. Don't be greedy - know what the market is paying, and be realistic about your aptitude for the job.

Job Interview | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback