Print Story Attention Soup Infidels
Fishies
By motty (Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 04:41:42 PM EST) fun loving cowwqas., cheese, soup, yum (all tags)
I had no idea how easy it was.

A little while ago, my grandmother got ill, and my mother came over and essentially stood there until I had made some soup.

She's better now.

I am still new at this soup making lark, so any and all suggestions, recommendations and tips will be gratefully received. In the meantime, if you have never made soup, as until recently, I hadn't, you should. Especially at this time of year.

You'll need a large pan and possibly a blender.

Ingredients

• Bottle of red wine (optional)
  • Bottle of white wine
  • Three red onions
  • Three not red onions
  • More onions, or some carrots, some spinach and some celery. Actually, probably any other vegetable at this point will be fine, though if you want onion soup specifically, stick to onions. Duh.
  • Six cloves of garlic
  • Two pints of stock
  • Some butter
  • Some olive oil
  • Salt, pepper, thyme

Method

Pour a glass of red wine (optional). Sip. Stick the butter and the olive oil in the large pan on a  medium low heat. Bung a pinch of salt in there. Start chopping the onions.

As you finish chopping each onion, throw it in the pan and stir round. The oil and butter should be hot enough to fry by the time you've finished chopping the first one (unless you're ridiculously quick), and thereafter, the time it takes to chop each onion should be good for not having to worry about the pan until the next one goes in and you can stir again.

Ditto the celery, or extra onions. Ditto the carrots, or extra onions. And the spinach (or onions).

Mmm, raw spinach. Such a shame to cook it. Eat a few leaves. Yum.

Finally, chop the garlic, throw that in, stir round your by now pan full of steaming vegetable goo, and put the kettle on. Stir occasionally while the kettle boils.

Make up two pints of stock. I've been using Vegetable Bouillon and some really weird old stuff my grandmother has, called Vecon, but I suspect any old stock would do. Proper actually made-yourself stock is probably best of all, but I don't know how to do that yet.

Chuck the stock in. Stir it about. Chuck some white wine in. Try and leave most of the wine in the bottle. Chuck some thyme in, and a little salt and pepper. Stir it all up.

Stick a lid on it and leave it on a low heat for an hour.

No really, an hour. Ok, 45 minutes. But an hour is better. Longer is fine too.

Unless you are making onion-only soup, now take the blender to it until it is all a fine green mush. If it is onion soup, do not blend it unless you fucked up somehow. Also, with onion soup it is the law that you put some kind of cheese on toast thing in it before eating.

Either way, yum.

< Eight Days Left | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention Soup Infidels | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Soup by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 05:59:40 PM EST
Start swapping

Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
Superb. by motty (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:25:02 PM EST
I shall track down the London soup swap immediately.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Except by ni (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:38:06 PM EST
there isn't one. Nor any outside USia. This has annoyed me before.

"Not of this world..." -- 256, on the subject of the New Jersey Turnpike
I may have to found it. by motty (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:43:45 PM EST
I am not joking.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Yes there is by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:49:47 PM EST
or was.

Switzerland and Sao Paolo.

It's a grass roots thing. Host your own.

Make it rum based.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

I live by ni (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 10:01:28 PM EST
on a diet comprised mainly of soup, so I had a particular interest in it. I'm unsure I'm willing to tolerate the work involved in founding it, though.

"Not of this world..." -- 256, on the subject of the New Jersey Turnpike
Bugger. by motty (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 07:09:55 PM EST
I forgot to mention that the white wine should be dry, and that there should also be a spoonful of honey going on about the same time the white wine is chucked in. I blame too much red wine (optional).

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Chicken Stock by Phage (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 11:29:05 PM EST
Do you ever have roast chicken of a weekend ? If so, stock is very easy.
Take the remains of the carcass, and chuck the whole lot into a large pan. Add enough water to just cover it.
Add a few carrots, sticks of celery, peppercorns and whatever else you may have lying around that won't turn into a mush.(Just top and tail them)
Simmer up together for an hour or two, until the juice looks like a stock and the carrots are cooked through.
Strain the whole thing through a sieve. Discard all the solids.
Bottle into large jars. Those big mayonnaise or passata ones are ideal. Seal whilst still warm, like jam, to get a good seal.
They'll keep in the fridge for a week or more.

I failed it by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 11:38:12 PM EST
Did that after cooking a roast a few weeks ago, it just tasted too weak. Maybe I should have simmered it for longer but it was on the stove for a few hours.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Too much water ? by Phage (4.00 / 3) #11 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:22:31 AM EST
A bit more veg and peppercorns may do the trick. Also making your own stock will be far less salty than the commercial stuff, and the difference may be just the amount of seasoning...

I got a blender for Christmas by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 11:49:26 PM EST
And have been going soup crazy. I do a roast most Sundays and usually blend up the leftover vegetables with some stock on Monday. It lasts me ages.

Parsnips and carrots go well together.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Parsnip and carrots !!!!111Oneone by Phage (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:28:26 AM EST
I've never understood the UKian kids thing of fussy eating. Damn I love my veg. (No, not in that way)

Same here by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:54:18 AM EST
Fruit too. When the UK govt started with their "Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day" thing, all my friends were saying they'd really struggle to manage that. What? I easily eat that. It's more like 7 or 8.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

soup by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 01:26:08 AM EST
For one. Really lazy style.

1x stick of celery
1x shallot or small onion
2x cloves garlic
2x reasonably sized spuds
1x decent vege or chicken stock cube, made up.
Black pepper.
Pancetta or bacon bits.

Chop everything into small cubes (thumb-width). Soften the garlic, onion and celery in oil, seasoned with pepper. Soften the potatoes. Add stock and simmer for 20-30 mins. About 5 mins before the end, start frying your bacon until crispy. Blend the soup (it will be quite thick) and top with tasty crunchy bacon. Yum.

soup base by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 04:11:19 AM EST

Local wholefoods place has bags of what they call Number 1 and Number 2 soup mix. Number 1 is lentils, dried peas, mung beans, pearl barley and a few other similar things that can be cooked from scratch without a pre-soak. Number 2 is bigger beans and chick peas and so on that need either overnight soaking or pressure cooking.

My general soup base mix involves a couple of handfuls of either (or both), plus a handful or three of extras from the bag of mung beans, etc. Stick in pressure cooker with sufficient water, bring to the boil, seal it up and leave it simmering for a while.

Some time later, take it off the gas and let it cool down so you can open the pan, think "Bugger, that's done more than I needed" and throw in the contents of a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes, or real tomatoes if it's that time of year and you've got lots. You may also at this point add Soy sauce to taste. Seal up the pressure cooker again and give it another half hour.

While that's happening, in another pan start some chopped up onions and a couple of rashers of bacon (also chopped) going in a bit of oil. When they're looking about right crank down the pressure cooker again, and put some of the red mush in a liquidiser/blender and whizz it round for a bit. Pour that on top of the onion and bacon, give it a stir, put the lid on and ignore it while you put the rest of the pea/bean/lentil/tomato/etc mix through the liquidiser. You may want to experiment with the length of whizzing time, I like having it vaguely gritty rather than a smooth paste.

Stir the contents of the saucepan as it's about to burn and you forgot to turn the heat right down.

Cut yourself a couple of slices of nice fresh bread and butter, and serve the pan that's been simmering the batch with onion and bacon. You may find yourself thinking "Bugger, that's more than I'd planned" again at this point.

Later that evening remember there's at least one, if not two, pans with now cool mixture. Tip this into suitable containers (I've taken up using some plastic pint glasses as I had some around) and stick in the freezer for next time.

The basic stuff makes an adequate soup on its own, though it tends to need salt, you can also do variations on the bacon and onion additions with anything else you might have handy, additional herbs, spices and whatever takes your fancy.

Forgot to mention by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 04:38:48 AM EST

This is a single male recipe so you don't get accurate quantities, ingredients or timing. It all depends on what you've got around, and what else you're doing at the time.

I love making random soup. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 06:14:55 AM EST
Although I usually like it a lot chunkier than you seem to. A blender?!?

The biggest problem with my soups is that they are so chunky you're never quite sure if you're eating a soup or a stew.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

I'm not seeing a problem by motty (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 06:29:12 AM EST
I don't know about the blender thing. There's no reason for it. Yet, it works too. Still, soup.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
It must be a cultural thing by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 06:41:56 AM EST
You know what they say about Americans. We have to have everything super-sized.

Seriously, though, the best soup I make is after the annual Festival Of Leftovers. I take what's left of the ham, boil it till I can get the bone out, throw in some beans, brown sugar and what ever random veggies are laying around the house. Whoa, nelly, that's good eatin'.

spinach by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 07:08:32 AM EST
When you get fresh spinach in the US, it often needs to be cleaned and trimmed of the stalks. I use the leaves for salad or cooked, and chop the stalks and throw them in a freezer bag to be used later in soup. Good for, er, souping up the canned variety, too.

Blame my grandmother. I save wrappers of sticks of butter for future greasing of pans for baking.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Attention Soup Infidels | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback