Print Story If your carpet smells fresh, your room does too
By Herring (Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 11:51:46 PM EST) (all tags)
A la recherche du memes perdu

Listened to Humphrys interviewing Blair on the radio on the way into work. Came very close to turning it off. Not sure what is more irritating, Blairs combination of humble and unrepentant or Humphrys not letting him finish a sentence.

It's a sad sign when the Tories are sounding more and more sensible.

Will phone Southern Electric later. Should be interesting. Or frustrating.

Is it just me, or is there something odd in judging standards of behaviour. Two exmples:
Selling weapons to an oppressive undemocratic regime (Saudi Arabia): OK
Giving a back-hander to grease the wheels of weapons sales: Bad
Executing Sadam Hussien by hanging: OK
Videoing it and releasing it on the intarweb: Bad

The defence of the arms industry "If we didn't sell it to them, someone else would" has got to be crap. Try it in court of you're caught selling handguns and crack to inner-city youths.

Also, on the politics front, has this notion struck anyone else: to have the Sunnis and Shias kill each other might actually a deliberate plan. But never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by obvious incompetence.

One thing on the Blair interview: Humphrys pointed out that there are a lot of very rich people in UKia who pay bugger-all tax. Apparently that's OK because "if we taxed them, they'd just move to another country". Can we all do that? Announce we're not paying any tax and if they try to make us, we're emigrating.

I feel like beer tonight.

< I should be on my office now. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
If your carpet smells fresh, your room does too | 42 comments (42 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I just came across this by Herring (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 12:12:12 AM EST
from H.L. Mencken:

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost... All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Baltimore Sun (July 26, 1920)

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

oh look by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 12:17:29 AM EST
Two for the price of one...

what is bertie up to these days? by MrPlough (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:13:04 AM EST
I honestly stopped paying attention to the Irish news ages ago - over exposure to the word tribunal.
No work.
mr teflon by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:16:48 AM EST
Well, when an enquiry discovered he'd signed blank cheques for Charlie and taken money from random people, his approval rating went up as for some reason people felt the media were picking on him...

At the moment, it is pre-electioneering.

Aw by MrPlough (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:18:25 AM EST
poor bertie!
No work.
Current politics - a personal review by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:24:46 AM EST
Bertie makes my teeth itch.
Enda Kenny makes me want to bang my head off a desk in frustration.
Darth MacDowell makes me fear his effectiveness.
Pat Rabitte is conspicuous by his relative silence.

You made those names up by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:32:09 AM EST

I'm an internationalist, honest.

DFJ?
Can't take Irish politics serious by Herring (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:36:08 AM EST
Until they start pronouncing the names of the parties how they are spelled (e.g. spelled "Progessive Democrats" prounounced "Fascist").

It's true, "Darth" is not actually McDowell's name, it's Malcolm. You must remember him from A Clockwork Orangeman.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

mmm, milk [n/t] by martingale (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:39:30 AM EST

$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Hmm by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:06:25 AM EST

Does it make me more or less of a racist if I was cracking a joke because I thought those names were all real?

DFJ?
heh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:11:23 AM EST
Apart from Darth, they are;)
Plus, Irish isn't a race.

Does that make Irish jokes OK? by Herring (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:18:40 AM EST
And Islam isn't a race either. So, in TPD tiebreak style:

There was a Irish terrorist, a Muslim terrorist and a Christian White-Pride terrorist and they all went into a pub ...

There ought to be a joke in there somewhere.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Annnnnnnnd... by DullTrev (4.00 / 4) #34 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 05:22:46 AM EST

The Irish terrorist said "I'm not drinking in here, they serve Protestants."

And the Christian White-Pride terrorist said "I'm not drinking in here, because they serve blacks."

And the Muslim terrorist said "Come on, guys, relax a little. I'm sure if we show a little tolerance, we can get a party started, and I'll make sure it all ends with a bang."

DFJ?
n.b. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:31:00 AM EST
Irish terrorists come claiming allegiance with two different sects.

Hrm by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #38 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:49:29 AM EST

I picked one, and I'm sticking with it. Catholics - the only people that can be legally discriminated against. Or something.

DFJ?
According to my ever-reliable sources by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 09:19:47 AM EST
all Irish terrorist acts in the UK, and virtually all attacks, have been by Irish Republicans. I guess the UVF's 350 civilian killings in Northern Ireland don't count.

I've a suspicion you're right about anti-Roman Catholic discrimination, but I simply am not aware of the actual issues.

is it by martingale (2.00 / 0) #42 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:03:45 PM EST
more of a plod then? Cue whiskey holding publican, making deliberate, laboriously thought out, inexorable movements...
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Pat Rabbitte? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:33:47 AM EST
That documentary about his soul music group was on the telly the other day, and I just caught the end of it. I wanted to see the whole thing because I've read all the social histories of Barrytown, but never seen Alan Parker's documentary.

Anyway, didn't know he'd gone into politics after the band fell through.

</georgeha>

plus by martingale (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:38:12 AM EST
It freshens clothes, at least those that are sitting on the floor.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
WIPOs by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #11 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:49:33 AM EST

I'll stop now ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
You bastard by Herring (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:04:19 AM EST
I was racking my brains this morning to find a way of crowbarring a brillo-pad reference in.

The Ashcroft one is particularly good - conjuring up all sorts of unpleasant images.

Can we count "Smells like White Spirit"?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I think so by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:30:23 AM EST

Sheen spirit? ... doesn't make quite as much sense, though ...

I was trying to think of a Persil one, but "I've got a brand new combine harvester" is as close as I got, and that's not so hot.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Washing powder by Herring (4.00 / 2) #18 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:35:10 AM EST
Bold! - Spandau Ballet.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
All too plausible an advertising campaign, I fear by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:46:56 AM EST

When the flow of royalty cheques gets a little bit too dried-up. Made me laugh, though.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Royalties by Herring (4.00 / 1) #31 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:54:58 AM EST
Heaven 17forbid that any of the Spandaus should compromise their artistic integrity by advertising ... sofas or anything. That would be horribly uncool.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I noticed by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:54:15 AM EST
That one of the petitions to be sent to Tony was to make this the national anthem

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Persil Be There by motty (4.00 / 2) #20 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:40:37 AM EST
There's always one of those.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Was tempted by 'Persil Communication' by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:49:19 AM EST

but, like Carbolics, it's an album.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Satire by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:07:23 AM EST

My Purse'll Go On - Celine Dion

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Also... by motty (4.00 / 3) #19 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:39:14 AM EST
Ammonia Bird In A Gilded Cage

Dust My Broom

Sweeping Willow

Love Don't Live Here Any Mop

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Is she really going out wi' Vim [n/t] by Herring (4.00 / 2) #23 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:56:31 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Sunni versus Shia by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #24 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:58:00 AM EST
Do you think numbnuts in Whitehouse actually knew the difference betwen them before he invaded iRaq?

We know that Bush didn't by Herring (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:03:25 AM EST
But was it his plan?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Basic US plan for Iraq was done by Rumsfeld by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:18:07 AM EST
Topple Saddam then miraculously out of the rubble, a pro-Western democracy would spontaneously form a la Velvet Revolution in Czechoslovakia.

But it was so obvious! by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:17:52 AM EST
It worked in France in 1945!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
heh by martingale (2.00 / 0) #41 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:54:40 PM EST
Reminds me of the US roadmap for Israel: Give Arafat the silent treatment until he shows "leadership" and everything will be miraculously solved within six months.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Apparently when Rwanda by cam (2.00 / 0) #32 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 05:08:33 AM EST
was under-going its genocide the media asked a white house press talk, "Who are the good guys, Tutsi or Huutu?" Lack of knowledge and no quick/easy media narrative meant that violence wasn't understood until it was pretty much over.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

The good guys are HuSi by Herring (4.00 / 2) #33 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 05:21:46 AM EST
in tutus.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I couldn't decide whether to rate that 0 or 4 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 05:59:02 AM EST
so I flipped a coin.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's really easy in Iraq to tell them apart by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #39 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 07:55:14 AM EST
Sunnis like killing Shias by blowing them up, Shias like killing Sunnis by shooting them in the back of the neck.

Jumping jack flash - expensive gas, gas, gas by Herring (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:33:51 AM EST
Spoke to the bastards. They admitted that the meter reading they last took must've been complete bollocks. The woman was so polite and helpful that I apologised to starting off all arsey. She responded with "if it was my account, I'd be the same".

Oh, and another 3rd world call centre. Scotland.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Two points: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:43:10 AM EST
to have the Sunnis and Shias kill each other might actually a deliberate plan.

Duh!

That's simply not an accurate analogy, because the arms industry is selling to persons who've reached the age of majority.