Print Story MFC X
By 256 (Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 07:03:52 PM EST) (all tags)
This diary contains your MFCX task--should you choose to accept it (and frankly, terrible things might happen if you don't... just sayin'). But more than that, it also contains a moderately comprehensive MFC retrospective.

So, let me tell you a story...

FINAL UPDATE: And 606 is the well deserved winner! 2nd place goes less-deservingly to myself and 3rd to motty's delightfully self-referential rule-ignoring tribute. Thanks to everyone and i look forward to the next round.

It all began innoccuously enough early one friday morning (at least in this part of the world), way back in August of 2005.

MFC 1 -- A G E B (file archive)
winner: cam - i know
curated by: gazbo

And gazbo looked on HuSi and saw that it was rocking insuffiently and so he said: "let there be RTFOing". And it was good. In a little over a week, gazbo managed to extract from us a total of eleven songs. Everyone was surprised to discover that, lo, there were actual musicians hiding amongst us. (As a note, MFC 1 was the only MFC where I didn't provide hosting for files and the links for many of the songs have gone dead in the intervening year and a half. I've created an archive on 256k.org, linked above, and uploaded those tracks that I could find. It would be nice if the authors of the other tracks wouldn't mind uploading them for completions sake.)

MFC 2 -- Status Quo (file archive)
winner: MohammedNiyalSayeed - Caroline
curated by: ambrosen

It was months later, in the dead of winter, that the MFC was resurrected by ambrosen. He presented us with the challenge of covering a song by the Status Quo, setting off a string of artist-based MFCs. MNS was a worthy victor, though the enlightened vote went to komet.

MFC 3 -- ZZ TOP (file archive)
winner: blixco - wwjd
curated by: vorheesleatherface

MFC 3 was notable for being the bait which finally revealed to us the impressive musical talents of our own mr. blix. I can't help but wonder if we would ever have heard his music without the MFCs. And who would want to live in that world? Not I.

MFC 4 -- Tom Waits (file archive)
winner: 256/misslake - hold on
curated by: blixco

After winning MFC 3, blixco took on the task of hosting MFC 4. The historian will note that from this point on it became standard for the winner of any given HuSi *FC to host the next of its kind (though apparently this was also the way with the old k5 programming fun challenges). The voting audience of MFC 4 cast their votes strongly in favour of misslake's participation, bringing me a sort of glory by association.

MFC 5 -- The Bird Flu (file archive)
winner: Dr Thrustgood - More Virusy tied with blixco - Death Would Fly on Sparrows Wings
curated by: 256/misslake

misslake and I opened up the theme of MFC 5 to the HuSi audience as a whole, who decided that it was time to diverge from the artist-based themes. And so we ended up with the strange task of composing music on the subject of the bird flu. As a result, we learned that the musicians of HuSi will turn out fantastic tracks regardless of the bizarre limitations placed upon them, taking a certain pressure off future MFC hosts.

MFC 6 -- Summer Fun (file archive)
winner: The Fool - Queequeeg (The Whiteness of the Whale)
curated by: Dr Thrustgood

Thrusty then brought us the Summer fun challenge which generated one of the smallest fields of entries, but with a very high concentration of awesome. The Fool's winning track may be the best song to yet come out of any MFC, and also may have the best rhyming couplet involving "Nantucket" to have ever been composed in a long poetic tradition.

MFC 7 -- Rockocalypse (file archive)
winner: clock - eow
curated by: The Fool

The Fool's fantastically themed Rockocalypse brought many new players to the MFC field, among them the inesteemable (or is that "esteemable"? which one means more awesome?) clock, who went on to win.

MFC 8 -- Music for Making Out (file archive)
winner: cam - Bang Bang
curated by: clock

MFC 8 saw cam outdo himself, thus becoming the first person to win two MFCs.

MFC 9 -- Hawaii 5-0, etc. (file archive)
winner: 256 (SMUT) - In Montreal
curated by: cam

Which brings us to MFC 9, on which occasion the voters of HuSi finally decided to, inexplicably, vote for a SMUT track wherein we had not imported someone who can actually sing. I appreciate the gesture, but I suspect that people had not fully thought through the consequence of their actions. To be precise, did you realize that you were putting yourselves at the mercy of my whimsy for MFC X?

here's the part where i get to the point already...

So, you may be wondering what purpose all that history and preamble serves in the announcement of MFC ten. You weren't wondering? Well, let me tell you anyway. MFC X is hereby declared to be the Meta-MFC (for a particular not-quite-legitimate use of the prefix "meta").

What this means is that you are to cover/reinterpret/mashup a previous MFC entry of your choice. This gives you close to 100 tracks to work with, though to open things up even a little further (and because i'd rather see people work with HuSi originals than with songs that were covers to begin with), I'm declaring any original song by a HuSian to be fair game (though if you would rather not see your songs covered, feel free to speak up).

A few links: blixco, Bone Dance, mathgeeks, SMUT, Super Happy Motivated Rock Band

And I'm sure that there are a few others out there with music stashes I don't know about or have tactlessly forgotten. Own up.

So yeah, there you go. Don't pretend that you don't have an idea along this line that you've been just dying to tackle: A drum-n-bass remix of Queequeeg? A piano and lounge vocals rendition of Larry Eyler's All Out Assault? Yet another take on On Sparrows Wings? The possibilities are endless.

Oh, right, the details:

Put them here before 0:00:00 GMT mar 1 2007.

¡RTFO!

< Logic | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MFC X | 77 comments (77 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Awesome. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 12:39:25 AM EST
Thanks for the potted history, 256.  And hosting, and all.

/me fires up Cubase...

Great idea by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 12:54:35 AM EST
I've sorta been wanting to do that for a while - I have a song in mind.

Not that I ever seem to fucking enter into these things anymore, but whatever.

Damn by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:54:50 AM EST

I thought this would be a good idea for an MFC when I was listening to someone's tune a while ago and thought, "I'm gonna nick that". Now I've just got to figure out who it was ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Excellent by TPD (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 02:26:56 AM EST
There's a few HuSi originals I wouldn't mind have a crack at coverring, just have to pick one I feel I can add something to (and not completely cock up). But I think this MFCs is going to be lots of fun.

Perfect time (MFC10) and perfect host to do it.

Summing up alone deserves a VSTFP.

Have uploaded my mfc1 entry.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Eggs-ellent. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:30:14 AM EST
I have covered Bone Dance in the past.  It might be time to clean off those tracks, actually record them in a half-decent way, and resubmit.

My own internal challenge being that I cannot use an acoustic guitar for this.

By the way, thanks for the recap.  Damn fine.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

Wow. by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 10:35:08 AM EST
I just listened to your songs. How fucking cool are you? Not only do you play a sweet guitar but you have a sexy ass voice. Bravo.

I may have to cover... but I sort of suckeroo at the guitar. This is prolly cheating, but is there anyway to get the guitar track from one of the songs?
*twinkle*twinkle*

Maybe, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 11:17:13 AM EST
as it depends on the song.  I record my vocals and guitar on the same track (via a mixer), so I don't have separate tracks except for a couple of tunes.

But I'd be happy to record guitar parts for you, sans vocals.

Oh and: Thanks!
---------------------------------

"MFC X" sounds like a bad horror movie by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:30:32 AM EST
Wherein hordes of Zombie Hulvers battle it out at whatever pub the LHuSi Drinks is happening at.

Sort of like Shaun of the Dead, but with lower production values.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Lower than that... by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #15 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:32:16 PM EST
For reasons of form, safety and propriety, no one brings cricket bats to LHuSiBeers.

best. concept. evar. by clock (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 03:57:22 AM EST
...i am stunned.

and i will get no work done today as a result.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Someone should totally by ana (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:53:04 AM EST
cover one of Gedvondur's Fish Friday songs.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Nice Dude. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 09:15:17 AM EST

Bonus points by skippy (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 09:19:03 AM EST
for any musical montages that cover five or more songs in one go...

A Weird Al style polka medley by Greener (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 11:27:15 AM EST
I wonder if I can learn accordion in a month

Haha! by 606 (4.00 / 2) #25 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 09:13:07 PM EST
Sweet, my song does! Sort of. I think it counts.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Little known fact by cam (4.00 / 2) #14 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 01:21:56 PM EST
last time I changed my guitar strings was MFC4.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I don't care by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 07:39:22 AM EST
if someone posts a nude pic of my ex for the cover competition, I'm voting for the cover that's up on the site right now.

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 10:38:47 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

i'm excited to hear it by 256 (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 02:48:07 PM EST
256k.org will be back up this weekend.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 03:40:04 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

yeah by 256 (4.00 / 1) #20 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 07:27:31 AM EST
they were posted as a comment in one of my diaries...

here:

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Thank you [nt] by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Feb 10, 2007 at 07:31:22 AM EST

upload site is fully operational. by 256 (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Feb 12, 2007 at 05:35:23 AM EST
-nt-
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Owning up by motty (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 04:04:09 PM EST
Here are some. There are others too but never mind them. If you're strange enough to want to do anything with any of them and need lyrics and / or chords, PM me. I'll not be holding my breath though.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
My entry by 606 (4.00 / 6) #24 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 09:06:11 PM EST
I have submitted my entry... though I might submit a second entry if I have time.

This is an MFC collage that is made up of five songs from previous MFC competitions, all by different artists. I won't tell you what they are, though. It's your job to figure out what parts are stolen from what songs. Remember there are five songs in there (plus a simple keyboard part by yours truly).

For this song I recommend listening on a quality Hi-Fi with the lights out. With the aid of relaxing herbals, if that's your thing.

I love you all.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

That entire track by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 2) #26 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 07:25:16 AM EST
is fucking amazing! I love it. I can't believe that jaw harp made it into the meta MFC. What a great surprise. Cheers.

That ROCKS by TPD (4.00 / 3) #27 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 11:24:30 AM EST
(or maybe it MELLOWS) either way it's fucking ACE!!!!!!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Goddamn. by blixco (4.00 / 3) #28 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 04:23:03 AM EST
Game over, man.  Game over.

Brilliant tune.
---------------------------------

I regret though by 606 (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 03:37:29 PM EST
that I couldn't isolate your voice and put it in there as well. It needs more blixco.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Awww by blixco (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 04:26:52 PM EST
thanks!

It is a massive track, though.  I dig it.  It is totally on my playlist.
---------------------------------

Hmm.... raising the bar are you? by littlestar (4.00 / 2) #29 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 11:47:56 AM EST
Well.... we'll see how it goes for me. I'm not sure if I will be sliding under it or what. Good thing there is this weekend.

Very nice work.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Ah, you'll all flatter me to death by 606 (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 03:24:12 PM EST
All I did was mix together the brilliant work that everyone else has done into this kind of monstrous Frankenstein song. I added only one instrument of my own to it, and it wasn't the guitar.

If it's good it's only because everyone else is so good.

I'm eager to hear your entry! I hope you get a chance to finish it.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

top notch by 256 (4.00 / 2) #30 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:00:02 PM EST
it's amazing.

those drums sound familiar. it feels like they might be from a SMUT track, but if they are i'm too clueless to place them. and for that matter, i can't imagine how you would extract them from the instrumental quagmire that is SMUT.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Touches nose... by 606 (4.00 / 2) #31 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 03:20:48 PM EST
You are correct, sir, it is a SMUT track.

A hint: the drums are time corrected a very large amount, somewhere between 15 to 30%. The original song is quite a bit faster.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

clock, VLF, TPD and SMUT by cam (4.00 / 1) #36 Sat Feb 24, 2007 at 04:05:06 PM EST
VLF is the jaws harp and TPD is the 'eagles are coming'. What is the fifth one? I cant find it in there.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

the last one by 606 (4.00 / 1) #37 Sun Feb 25, 2007 at 07:53:57 AM EST
It's the electronic cymbal noise about 8 bars into the loud part.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Mine / Ours by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #35 Fri Feb 23, 2007 at 05:25:05 AM EST

has been uploaded. Commentary here.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
having now retrospectively read your diary entry, by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #60 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 02:01:56 PM EST
I must nod along to your gripe about compression.  My own submission is probably compressed too much but I allowed myself to be all modern with it since I fucked up and recorded it overcompressed; normally I'd try to cling tenaciously to the sweet touch of dynamic range.

You peoples' entry is very cool, though.  Chillin', even.

Heh. Thanks. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #63 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 04:12:22 AM EST

Although, as I mentioned, most of what's good about it has little to do with me.

If you're interested, the hotness conversation was continued in one of tpd's diaries. Just to be clear: I only have an issue with loudness in relative terms — how people want to master their tracks is their business — the problem only comes with things like the MFCs and home-made compilations in that it's got to the point that certain levels of hotness are required to keep everything within moderate boundaries — and even then you have to ride the volume every so often.

Ideally, you could have a dedicated mastering engineer to even them all out before downloading but, aside from the time and effort necessary to do it, it's one of those things where the disease is probably better than the cure, as a.) people would probably complain that the masterer had buggered up their mix[*] and b.) there'd also be the natural tendency for the masterer to spend more time getting the tunes they liked sounding right and not being that bothered about some of the others. The way it's currently done is the best way, but that does bring with it the same issues faced by radio stations.

[*] - It's possible to do it without buggering up anyone's mixes (or changing them at all), but that would require mastering to the loudness of the "quietest" (least hot) track, which isn't the best way to go either.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
That sounds like volunteer work to me then. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #66 Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 01:45:02 PM EST
Next MFC I will make my Cubase files available to you for some mixing magic for it is clear I have nothing in that department.

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #38 Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 07:36:46 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

A touch of the Bon Scotts in the vocals by cam (4.00 / 1) #39 Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 04:18:09 PM EST
(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #41 Tue Feb 27, 2007 at 06:10:16 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

I thought that as well by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #62 Tue Mar 06, 2007 at 01:22:15 AM EST
Bit of work on the upper range and it'd be hard to tell them apart.  Also agree +1 LFT.

Is the fuzz line guitar or distorted bass? by cam (2.00 / 0) #40 Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 04:21:41 PM EST
(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #42 Tue Feb 27, 2007 at 06:11:05 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

SMUT is in! by 256 (4.00 / 1) #43 Tue Feb 27, 2007 at 08:30:02 PM EST
tits yeah!

represent!

over here: yeah, here.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

That's one hell of a good song. by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #44 Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 09:18:50 AM EST
Nice mix too.

thanks by 256 (4.00 / 1) #45 Thu Mar 01, 2007 at 09:23:20 AM EST
also, i don't remember posting that comment, having gotten appropriately blasted on the evening in question in tribute to the last SMUT session for the foreseeable future.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I like it! by 606 (4.00 / 1) #46 Sun Mar 04, 2007 at 07:01:13 PM EST
It's very well mixed and very well performed. A quieter, restrained SMUT. Very nice.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
idle question by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #47 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:46:01 AM EST
Why do the MFC and CFC apps not have a field for the title, whereas the WFC one does?

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
Entry entered by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #48 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 08:54:31 AM EST
Yup. It's in there.

Argh. by motty (4.00 / 1) #49 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 09:49:07 AM EST
Late. Shutting down things. Firing up ardour. See you in a bit.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Bugger by motty (2.00 / 0) #58 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:36:35 PM EST
Also uploading right now.

Bah.

Mind you, this one is truly toe-curling. Sorry about that.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Cocked it. by motty (2.00 / 0) #59 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:40:12 PM EST
The first upload attempt failed. The second may or may or not have succeeded.

Apologies - profuse ones - in advance. For everything.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

hey all by 256 (4.00 / 1) #50 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 10:36:28 AM EST
am busy, as expected. have put up voting in this story. will do a diary announcing such as soon as possible for those who haven't hotlisted.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
If you'd... by ana (2.00 / 0) #51 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM EST
like to make a better-formed question, I can make this the front-page poll.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #52 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:24:56 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

i wuz just by ana (2.00 / 0) #53 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:41:38 AM EST
commenting that "?" is not a very well-formed query for a front-page poll.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #54 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:55:00 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

front-pageified. by ana (2.00 / 0) #57 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:06:55 PM EST
looks like motty and Breaker may be late entries.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Gah! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #55 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 11:58:20 AM EST
Uploading RIGHT NOW!

STOP THE CLOCK by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #56 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 12:01:52 PM EST
(Oh wait it stopped 10 hours ago).

Ah well

I have just realised who you remind me of by Herring (2.00 / 0) #64 Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 10:39:43 AM EST
Anneka Rice. The resemblance is uncanny.

Shit - sorry, I meant Tim.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

I would like to clarify by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #65 Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 01:25:28 PM EST
I have never jumped out of a helicopter wearing a tight fitting pastel coloured jumpsuit with a camera "accidentally" following my arse.

If anyone was curious about my cover, by Phil Urich (4.00 / 3) #61 Mon Mar 05, 2007 at 02:11:52 PM EST
if it hadn't been so reticent about uploading properly, you'd see this every once in awhile at the MFCX page.

For those obsessed with minimalism, I suppose.

Hmm.  Haven't voted yet, though, 'cause my procrastinator's heart cries out for Breaker and Motty.

Screw the rules! I voted for all of them. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #67 Thu Mar 08, 2007 at 02:15:20 PM EST
What an awesome collection.

606, Trans Atlantic all stars and Motty by TPD (2.00 / 0) #68 Sun Mar 11, 2007 at 11:39:46 PM EST
were just 3 of the many entries that blew me away, but they were the 3 that got my vote.

Great stuff all round though.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

A few comments... by ana (4.00 / 3) #69 Wed Mar 14, 2007 at 11:28:11 AM EST
slostar productions: Do keep singing together. I didn't vote for you this time, but there's some really good stuff here, and it'll get better with practice.

blixco, as always, is blixco: really good stuff, simple production, nice and musical. It says something that I cut a CD of all my blixcorp music for the car.

fff, who did the alibi remix: magical. This got one of my votes. Fuzzpop really isn't my style, but this is very nice.

TPD and Breaker... Lots of fine guitar work, but it kind of leaves me going, um, okaaaaay?

motty gets a vote just for most creative abuse of the challenge. As janra likes to say, cheating is encouraged.

vleth, see above under fuzzpop. Not my taste; some folks like it.

Phil Urich, I found the rattle in the guitar effect distracting. My 12-string guitar usually has only 11 strings, and the vacant crank rattles like that.

SMUT... I must say, You're not my Girlfriend No More makes me chuckle every time I hear it, and the production is just about right for this tune.

clock, as always, very nice indeed. Nice to hear your voice, dude.

mathgeeks, solid.

The Fool should pitch his piece in a key he can sing; it's a bit too low for his voice at the beginning. Much promise here.

Transatlantic All-stars... I liked this one a lot. The piano isn't quite in tune with the electronica, but despite the wince that induces, I'm voting for this one.

606... Very very nice production.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

you've nailed it, actually, by Phil Urich (4.00 / 1) #70 Fri Mar 16, 2007 at 09:14:51 AM EST
that was a large part of it, I have yet to replace the 6th string (broke awhile back and I'm waiting while I beat up some of the others then I plan to just replace all of them).  I had tape on said vacant crank, yet somehow both it and all the rest of the tape in my place went missing simultaneously as the deadline was looming.

The other part of the rattle was the result of my last-minute change from the mysteriously not-working line-in on my "computer that actually has a sound card instead of some built-in crap" to my digital audio player, which apparently meant that the levels went from delightfully low to waaaaay too hot, with much bad digital clipping as a result.

So in other words, criticism quite accurate :) (though I personally have a weakness for fuzz and distortion so I was enamoured with it nonetheless). And I'll keep your words in mind to try to invigorate myself to replace all the damn strings sometime reasonably soon (it's been far too long already).

The effect, I think, isn't quite what it sounds like; applied to a cleaner guitar it might very well have had far less of a rattle (the effect itself, IIRC, merely adds harmonics with the amount of them being relative to the volume).

On another note, I have to agree that it was nice to finally hear clock's voice.  And cool, I guess I'm not the only one who's made a blixco disk for driving to.

That's nice! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #73 Sun Mar 18, 2007 at 03:43:57 AM EST
Hahaha... yeah, we'll see if more stuff happens. I do generally just make music on my own (which is easier). I had planned to make this mfc the debut of my music, but that will have to wait, instead you got this... which is something else. Slozo has been out of the music game for a while, but I'm guessing he will want to do more with me... we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the positive spin though!
*twinkle*twinkle*

I knew I didnt win the first one by cam (2.00 / 0) #71 Sat Mar 17, 2007 at 03:52:43 PM EST
and I was right; Motty did with 63%, shmrb got 56%.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Jesus by motty (4.00 / 1) #72 Sat Mar 17, 2007 at 08:33:41 PM EST
I didn't notice. What a burk. I had also totally forgotten about that tune. Jesus.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Double burk here by cam (4.00 / 1) #74 Sun Mar 18, 2007 at 08:05:17 AM EST
I didnt think I won MFCI, but thought I must have been wrong and didnt go and check. Except it gnawed at me that I could have forgotten something like that and I decided to prove my memory right.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Actually by TPD (4.00 / 1) #75 Mon Mar 19, 2007 at 03:28:26 AM EST
you did http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2005/9/2/7185/78027 or at least at the point it was called you were ahead.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
oh by cam (4.00 / 1) #76 Thu Mar 22, 2007 at 06:19:32 AM EST
OMG OMG OMG by 606 (4.00 / 5) #77 Thu Mar 22, 2007 at 01:55:04 PM EST
I... won?

I...

Thank you everyone!

I'll set up the next MFC sometime in early to mid April. Does that work for everyone?

-----