Print Story Hey, I recognize that!
Films
By georgeha (Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:02:35 AM EST) Nikki Reed, depression, polar vortex, Citadels, Noble House (all tags)
It may be old hat to Los Angeles and New York City readers, but for this provincial viewer, it was exciting to see local places on the big screen, in Cherry Crush.

Plus bitter irony and an auld aquaintance amongst the gamers, favorite tracks, Sylvia, interviews with a bloodsucker, and less.

Poll: Have you seen any movies shot in your hometown?

The weekend started out early and brutal. Mrs. Ha had an appointment for a phlebotomy position that involved drawing pints at a time, instead of just a few vials full. She said the interview went really well, though of course any prayers, kind thoughts or best wishes are very appreciated. She did lose her keys, thinking that she locked them in the car, so I left work a bit early, cursing our Godforsaken windswept parking lot (it was terrible, intense sunshine, intense cold and a stiff wind blowing snow and ice into my face until I got to my car) and drove across the city until I could find the interview place. I also ended up driving by the building my last employer constructed for themselves, they appear to be doing very well for themselves, but even had I stayed, it was a family run business and I doubt they would have been able to match what I get here.

Anyhow the keys were not in the van, and by retracing her steps we found them half buried in a snowbank, they must have fallen our her coat pocket as she was going to the interview.

Saturday was the third Saturday of the month, which meant it was time for the monthly meeting of the board game society in Rochester. Mrs. Ha was going to preschool mom's for a party with the girls, so I had some time to go there. I ended up meeting an old work aquaintance, who has used up his alloted time as a contract worker at my $corp and is in between jobs. Nowadays, you only get 18 months before being let go or being hired as a direct, in my time, you had to sign away legal rights every 18 months. That wasn't legal, and my $corp got fined, so you don't even have the option any more.

I kibbitzed on a few wargames, but wasn't able to sit in on any. I did play a few hands of Noble House, and then played Citadels, in which I managed to squaek out a win, my daft play earlier in the game must have convinced the other players I was truly clueless, instead of mostly clueless.

I was going to make a comment on the general state of unfitness of many of the gamers, but the irony is way too bitter, even for a hophead like me. Sure, I appear to be much fitter, and my heart may be, but given that I probably couldn't walk two miles to save my life (due to my arthritis), I should shut up.

I do fondly remember being fit, and being able to run 3 miles in under 21 minutes.  I started to run a lot in college, going to a large land grant university hours and hours from a major city meant you only had a few options to keep busy, I found studying, drinking and working out was enough, with a lot of chasing girls, rarely successfully thrown in. I wasn't very talented at basketball, or tall enough for volleyball, but I could punish my body by running, so I ended up running on the track at Rec Hall a lot, it was indoors, it was long enough, I could check my stats exactly, and there were enough other runners to make it interesting. On the minus, the track wasn't banked, so corners were a pain.

The other indoor track on campus, at the western gym, was usually closer to where I lived, but it was shorter and more desolate. Even though it was banked, I preferrred the longer one at Rec Hall.

I only ran a few times on the track in Raleigh, I barely remember it. The YMCA track is like a bowl, it's tiny and banked. I have yet to run on it, when I did run at the YMCA it was on a treadmill, watching the aerobics class. I have been spending time on the track, in the cut off unbanked corners, stretching and doing yoga, since there is so little unoccupied space in our Y. I'm even giving up on weight machines for a while, as my decrepitude progresses.

Sunday my parents took the girls, and we did the urban thing. We wanted to see Cherry Crush, a movie filmed in Rochester, which had it's world premiere in Rochester. It was playing at the local art house cinema, for one week early, so we get there early to buy tickets, and then took our luck finding a lunch place.

It's a shame, the East End area is supposed to be the hoppingest part of Rochester, but on a Sunday afternoon we didn't have a large variety of lunch places to choose from. I have no idea what the Eastman students do, probably each Ramen and go back to practicing. We ended up at Spot Coffee, which seemed to be the happening place, lots of young adults (and older adults) sipping coffee, reading, and playing with laptops, lots of laptops. The building is very interesting, it used to be a Chevy dealership, and it's in great example of Art Deco.

Cherry Crush was good, a film noir triangle with the good safe blonde and the dangerous brunette, and a slimy lawyer. I recognized many of the shots, and particulary enjoyed the tracking shot over the Irondequiot Bay Bridge, showcasing Irondqeqiot Bay in all it's autumnal glory. Even though I go over that bridge twice a day, I rarely get to appreciate it since I'm nearly always driving/riding, and have to pay attention to the road. Too bad it was rated an R, since the protagonists are high schoolers, perhaps I'm getting jaded, there wasn't much nudity and the sex scenes were restrained. It would probably do much better (in Rochester at least) if it was PG-13.

Teh other movie we watched was Sylvia, with Gwyneth Paltrow, a biopic of Sylvia Plath. It was okay, but didn't capture my attention as much. Again, I'm getting jaded, but despite the jacket blurbs, I didn't find it that erotic, it takes more than a few half nude sex scenes for me.

I'm taking tomorrow off to celebrate my birthday, as Mrs. Ha got her hostessing schedule and she's working Friday, and tomorrow, and the kids have off tomorrow for an abbrevriated midwinter recess, and what would I do with myself all alone if I stayed home Friday. I should order a birthday present or two for myself, I'm thinking a game, and a DVD burner.

< Ow! Thud! Oof! Thunk! Ouch! Ow! Ow! Ow! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hey, I recognize that! | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The Matrix by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:07:43 AM EST
Was filmed in Sydney. There's a few others too, recognisable because the light is quite distinctive at that latitude.

Many, I live in DC by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:14:56 AM EST
Well, near it. Inside the Beltway. The George Bush Center For Intelligence (CIA HQ) is a couple of miles from my place.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Happy Birthday! by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:40:58 AM EST
There was once a movie that had a few scenes shot on my high school's football field, but since it was a teen movie about high school bands, there is no damn way I was going to see it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The high school I went to by cam (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 08:06:18 AM EST
was burrigan high in a country practice. They used the kids, including me once, for extras.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You were in a Country Practice ?!! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #27 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:44:35 PM EST
HAHAHAhahaha...gasp...wheeze...
Now there was a show. My Ex loved it.

Yes I was by cam (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 03:11:56 AM EST
I am an 80s soapy star. Though you have to pause the show to see me, and only if you are familiar with my blur.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'd recognise the EJ by Phage (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 04:00:45 AM EST

I think I was about 15 by cam (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 06:49:19 AM EST
and they used us as extras when walking off the bus. That is the blur that is my TV career.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Really, I have a hankering to see Drumline by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 08:07:18 AM EST
which is about college bands, but I'm sucker for that kind of dancing.

This movie by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:09:22 AM EST
Was far, far shittier.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Come on, give us a rottentomatoes link by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:11:31 AM EST
or an imdb one.

Sadly by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 01:11:32 PM EST
I no longer recall the name. Some damn thing about bands filmed in 1984 or 1985 that flopped badly.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
a few movies, mostly TV by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:50:39 AM EST
I grew up in Dallas

wipo by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 08:17:02 AM EST
i don't have a hometown.

They've filmed a few movies on the moon [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:43:37 AM EST

Too much crap by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:26:17 AM EST
is filmed around me.

Toronto downtown and even around my block west end.
Mostly shitty TV shows but once in a while a blockbuster movie.

Due South was one, they filmed couple things around stuff I use to hang around as a kid.  Plus use to like the show so kind of gave it some aw.

FX had a scene that I watched as a kid while they filmed it.

The Sentinel had a mall scene at sherway gardens where I use to eat lunch almost everyday and even showed the two seats I use to use with a friend.

Boondock Saints, bulletproof monk are some films.

WIPO: seemingly many, by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:39:10 AM EST
but then you watch the film and find out it takes place in NYC or Chicago.

They never named Rochester in the movie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:52:12 AM EST
just renamed a suburb. I think you can vote many, since they were shot in Toronto.

ob Fargo by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:16:28 AM EST
Also when I was 18 or so I saw them filming this terrible movie at the Mall of America.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

They didn't film Bruce Almighty in Buffalo by debacle (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:44:30 AM EST
Which was pretty evident by pretty much everything in the movie.

What about The Natural, Hide in Plain Sight by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:48:17 AM EST
Lackawanna Blues and Buffalo '66?

I haven't seen any of them. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:51:35 AM EST
So, yes?

Planes, trains and automobiles? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 11:00:18 AM EST
I think the exterior scenes were shot in Batavia. I give a big thumbs up to Buffalo '66, it's Gallo being a good enfant terrible, and Christina Ricci is yummy.

I live in a small isolated place by Greener (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 11:23:32 AM EST
where they have filmed a couple movies.

Roxanne was filmed where I currently live and Miracle was filmed where I grew up. I've seen Roxanne but not Miracle.

Where I live now. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 01:14:12 PM EST
Has had films shot there. I wouldn't watch it though.

Other homelike places, yes I have seen films shot there.

Not my hometown by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 01:44:48 PM EST
But Slapstick was filmed in Johnstown, and some 50s movie was filmed partially in Cassandra.

Ground Hog Day was filmed out west though.

Click

I think there was one by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 02:30:50 PM EST
called "The Philadelphia Story"?

Actually, Sixth Sense was filmed in Philadelphia, which I didn't know until we saw it. That was cool.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

Sylvester Stallone did one too, didn't he? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 03:28:18 PM EST

huh. That reminds me... something.. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 04:25:19 PM EST
Nah. I remember. He did a movie that was almost local, but it was set in New Jersey.

small Idaho town ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 02:52:13 PM EST

... our bank (on the 'main drag' ... not extensive enough to be called that) showed up briefly in Pink Cadillac.

Other places I've lived -- yeah, well, Berlin and Budapest make the rounds often enough.

well by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 02:53:20 PM EST
there's a scene in this movie of a very brightly painted train station - that was just two blocks from where I lived.

now: this movie and the spinoffs shows including this one

i don't much care that they tend to be out of shap by garlic (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 04:43:23 AM EST
e. I care that some don't seem to bathe often enough.

There was that, too. by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Feb 22, 2007 at 04:45:57 AM EST

Hey, I recognize that! | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback