Print Story Posting before I forget
Politics
By jimgon (Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 06:18:51 AM EST) (all tags)
Just catching up on a couple things I've seen in the news before I forget.  Monday at work is going to be busy for me.  So I know I'll forget before I have a chance to post again.

I'm sure the Republicans are glad they didn't change the rules for calling for a vote in the Senate.  They used standard parliamentarian tactics to block the Democrats vote against the troop surge.  It was somewhat ill conceived for them to have considered dropping the call to end debate to fifty votes back a year or two ago.  Good thing that calmer heads in the Senate prevailed back then.  I think the Democrats non-binding vote critical of the escallation was also ill conceived.  They should consider a different tactic.  And I think the people in the House who have called for a renewed draft have it right.  If you really want to end the war in Iraq, then you should support it whole heartedly and announce the institution of the draft to put 500,000 boots on the ground, and increased taxes and rationing to spend $1 trillion on the war.  That'll end the war quickly and it'll show who really supports the troops.  Support the troops, ration gas.

I'm going to throw out a quick commentary about the news media and Iraqnam.  There were a lot of us who knew that Iraq was wrong.  We read the articles in the foreign press.  We saw the reasons Bush used to go after Iraq for what they were.  Wrong and bad.  Where was the media, and why are they talking now?  Back then they were drooling over the ratings that a war against Iraq would bring about, and they knew coming out critical of the plans would hurt ratings.  Now they see the polls that show Americans against the war, and they know they won't lose ratings and they'll even gain some.  Really, I hate American media.  To paraphrase Homer J Simpson, they're the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Here's a quick anti-Romney link of the day.  This one explains his flip-flopiness on his voting in the Massachusetts Democratic Primary in 1992.  Mitt voted for Paul Tsongas, former US Senator from Massachusetts.  At the time he said he voted for him over Clinton becuase he felt he was a stronger candidate.  Now he says he voted for Tsongas because he felt Tsongas was weaker and would lose against George HW Bush.  The article points out that the logic breaks down considering that Tsongas was a hometown boy and was easily expected to win Massachusetts.  It also points me to two potential considerations.  One, Romney is lying.  Two, Romney is telling the truth and did something morally repugnant.  Cheated at an election.  Either way Romney remains someone I wouldn't want to see as President.

There's also a good Galbraith article over at The Nation.

And lastly, a link to the most important topic of the weekend.

With that, have a good day.  I'll be out canvassing.

< Hi everyone | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Posting before I forget | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You realize by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 06:54:27 AM EST
That when you publicize the "Romney voted for Tsongas" thing, you make Romney look more moderate, something that traditionally wins elections, right?

If I were a Democrat, I'd shut up about that particular issue.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Republican Base by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 03:04:16 PM EST
The Republicans can't win elections with out the Southern Christians.  Good luck on that with a moderate or a New England liberal.

---------------
That may not be true by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 06:22:28 AM EST
Guiliani is doing fairly well with that crowd, and he's moderate on social issues.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Guiliani by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 06:24:36 AM EST
I don't see Guiliani getting past round one.  It's early, and he has a lot of time to work out his skeletons, but I think at the end of the Q1 2008 he'll be gone.  I really think he'll be victim of the base when the primaries start.

---------------
What skeletons? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 07:20:56 AM EST
The base already knows about his ex-wife, ex-mistress who is his current wife, support for abortion rights, his temper, and the rest. They still like him.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I don't know by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 08:24:54 AM EST
There may be more. I don't know.  Guiliani would know.

---------------
Support the troops, ration gas. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 07:41:22 AM EST
You're right about that. It would end the war well before the draft had even ramped up, I'd have thought.

that would grossly interfere by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 08:57:55 AM EST
with modern America's culture of entitlement and extravagance.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
More importantly, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 09:25:44 AM EST
it would grossly interfere with the status quo, and who knows what North Korea and Iran would do.

That's the point by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 03:05:55 PM EST
War is hell.  It's not a television show or a video game.  As long as their is no personal sacrifice there is no reason to stop it.  Draft The Bush Hotties and see how long it lasts.

---------------
Sacrifice by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 03:53:59 PM EST
The last war the American people sacrificed anything for was World War II. (As opposed to soldiers, who always sacrifice.)

The difficulties encountered winning wars after that is not unrelated.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

talking about something else intolerable by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 04:12:23 PM EST
we can't even properly take care of our wounded at Walter Reed.

What a fucking travesty these men and women are going through.

I haven't been going there by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 04:35:50 PM EST
"Support the troops."  Yeah, right.  Support the troops so long as it doesn't actually involve helping them.  No wounded soldier should return from war and have a problem getting medical care.  We can borrow $300 billion to spend in Iraq, but we can't borrow anything to support the wounded.  We can give tax breaks to everyone, but we can't dedicate resources to the wounded.  The government of the United States is simply rotten to the core.

---------------
It's too late to say 'Iraq was wrong' by debacle (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 08:08:27 PM EST
Now we just have to figure out what to do with it, and while a draft would be the globally reponsible thing to do, I don't think the American people are mature enough to understand that it isn't Bush's fault we're in this mess.

Not Bush's fault? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 02:33:13 AM EST
Depends on your point of view.  It is partially Bush's fault.  Also, partially the media's fault for not asking questions.  Also, partially the American people's fault for blindly following.  And you are right, it's too late to say Iraq is the wrong war.  To do it right, 500,000 men and $1 trillion.  We don't want a draft and we can't afford $1 trillion.  So where does that leave us?

---------------
It is the media's fault by debacle (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 05:29:46 AM EST
And I don't think you could convince me otherwise.

The United States is now firmly in the grasp of the media corporations (and has been for what, 20 years?) and I don't think anything short of radical congressional intervention could change that.

I agree to a point by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 06:26:54 AM EST
The media corporations though are easily used by someone interested in doing it.  They chase ratings and money and will follow where those go.  But if the Bush White House wasn't hell bent to go to war in Iraq in the beginning the media wouldn't have followed.  So I would consider them to be willing accomplices as opposed to the trigger-pullers.

---------------
Who convinced the American people by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:30:33 AM EST
Bush, or the media?

As I say willing accomplices by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 10:56:13 AM EST
Bush supplied the data, the media refused to analyze it.

---------------