Print Story Petition to shut down Kuro5hin.org
By Throwaway Account (Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 05:19:28 PM EST) K5, kuro5hin.org, crappy websites, moneymaking scams (all tags)
Please, rusty, pull the plug on this waste of internet address space (Kuro5hin.org)! It has been a very long time since anyone has been able to make a reasonable case for its continued existence.

K5 has the quality of one of those automatically generated spam blogs filled with crap articles purchased for 15 cents each, except that rusty doesn't have to pay 15 cents for each article: he gets the Google ad revenue without even having to work for it. Don't let your greed get the better of you, rusty! Kuro5hin.org is an embarissment. Kill it now.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

Here's how to create a website like K5, without exploiting a few pathetic people to create your content:
    1. Start a website with Google AdSense ads

2. Purchase a load of fine private label articles, and post them to your website. Remember to edit them slightly first!

3. Get the thing spammed all over Google, and watch the cash roll in.

< 2007.02.16: um, pie | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Petition to shut down Kuro5hin.org | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
YFI!!!11!1!!11oneoneone by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 05:40:40 PM EST
Rusty doesn't even read DKos! What the hell makes you think he pays attention to this place?^

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Where'd you put those cocktail onions? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 08:40:56 PM EST
Fuck-- I swear we had a full jar last week.

K5? I remember that place by Cloaked User (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 12:51:23 AM EST
Why would I care what happens to it now? I can't even remember the last time I visited, let alone logged in.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
Not much difference to Husi then by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 12:54:51 AM EST
Your last story/diary here is located in the mists of time!! :-)

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I've made this point before by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 02:26:03 AM EST

but it stands yet.

In certain countries less developed than those the majority of correspondents here call home, they indulge in some seemingly curious practices. I'm thinking primarily of the less-wealthy parts of India, but have also seen the specific technique in question used in parts of Turkey.

When a prospective diner arrives at the premises of a food provider, he or she may notice, if they care to look into the alleyway at the side of the establishment, items bearing a strong resemblence to rat or snake carcasses hanging from clothes lines. The idea may also manifest itself as piles of waste stored openly some distance, but not too far, from the hostelry.

Why do they do this?

It's to keep the vermin away from the good stuff.

K5 still serves this function. Don't knock it.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I was going to say something similar by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 03:27:23 AM EST
I think the throwaway account just hates HuSi

Cicero, The Republic
Rusty must be so proud -nt- by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 04:12:29 AM EST

it's all a matter of perspective by fleece (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 03:34:37 PM EST
k5 is a tolerant, open-minded take-all-comers culture that paradoxically prides itself on its reputation of intolerance. Husi is the reverse of that.

Sinc when by hulver (4.00 / 3) #8 Sat Feb 17, 2007 at 11:15:07 PM EST
Did HuSi have a reputation for tolerance?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I don't think K5's by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Feb 18, 2007 at 02:58:07 AM EST

any more or less tolerant than HuSi. From what I've seen on the occasions I've been there in the last year or so, people there are slightly more curious and engaging with newcomers than people here tend to be, but this is entirely because K5 is desperate for fresh blood, whereas people here tend to be overly sensitive about anything which has the characteristics of new-flavour K5. On the other hand, I've seen them be obnoxiously rude straight off the bat, which I'm not saying doesn't happen here, but it happens here more rarely, and usually more artfully.

I think HuSi looks cutesy-and-fluffy to the idly curious, who are then shocked to discover it's not the Hello-Kitty-fest they initially took it for. On the other hand, K5 looks like a cess pit, so people are then pleasantly stunned to find friendly voices in the midst of the sewerage.

----