Print Story Flabbergasted.
Educashun
By aphrael (Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:30:50 PM EST) (all tags)
A few paces behind last week's good news comes some other, not quite as good news, which leaves me almost completely flabbergasted.

Some background: When I was applying to schools last year, I sent most of my applications out late (January-February), and got a set of results which told me two things: (a) I was undervaluing my undergraduate academic experience, and that schools which I thought were out of reach weren't necessarily, and (b) I applied too late in the season and needed to be applying in October. (The first piece of information came largely from the fact that Berkeley put me in the "we need to take a second look at you" stack rather than rejecting me out of hand, and the second from the fact that Santa Clara waitlisted me, among other things). So I reapplied this year. Hastings, which had waitlisted me last year, sent me a short "thanks, but no thanks"; that wasn't unexpected, although it was disappointing. $CITY_SCHOOL accepted me to their night program.

Today, I got news from $MEGALOPOLIS_UNIVERSITY, a top fifteen university which I had applied to mostly under the theory that, if we lived in that city, we might be close enough to our social networks to not have them fall apart, that one of us has family there, and that, as a former resident of the area, I know that, while it isn't ideal, I can live there for a period of time. I was expecting to be rejected (I have a largely meaningless undergraduate GPA, an academic record consisting almost entirely of narrative evaluations, and a period of academic probation in my undergraduate record). They waitlisted me.

I'm flabbergasted; this is a result I would not have predicted. For one thing, they waitlisted me in February, rather than keeping my application around and waitlisting me in April, which is what I would have expected. For another thing ... I figured they would reject me outright, just like Berkeley did last year.

It's far from clear that I want to be pulled off of their waiting list. OK, sure, if I had $130,000 sitting around, I'd jump at it; and certainly, if I had to borrow money to go to law schools, this would be one of the better schools for which to do it. But ... borrowing that kind of money strikes me as being a bad idea, locking my choices after I graduate, and delaying indefinitely hope of saving money for property. So, unless Jared and I suddenly come into money I'm not expecting, it's not the right path to follow.

And yet ... the ego boost is nice. Sure, they didn't accept me ... but they put me in their stack of "people we're kind of interested in but not really interested in", and that's a nice feeling, especially given my spotty academic record.

< 2007.02.15: "If all literature needs conflict, ..." | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Flabbergasted. | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You have to consider though by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:42:58 PM EST
That the waitlist for college A, which is unranked, sees a lot more action than the waitlist for college B, which is ranked high enough that most people who get in really want to go.

Then again, the fact that you've been waitlisted now might mean they're waiting for the rest of the applications to trickle in before they decide, meaning that you might be accepted quickly.

Also, I've learned from experience that cost shouldn't be a factor in the school you go to. If you can afford, through eating stale bread and drinking only water, to go to this school, you ought to. You'll be that much better off when you get out.

Jared will just have to restort to selling himself in the street.

oh, sure. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:51:59 PM EST
  1. waitlists for this school may not see much action, although it depends.
  2. they're certainly not done with admits this early.
  3. cost is a factor. i mean, the difference between pay-as-you-go/no-debt and $130K in debt is enormous ... and the monthly payment on the larger debt would force me into jobs that I don't want, probably.

If you work in the public sector by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 01:04:30 PM EST
A school that highly ranked will eat most of your debt.

Even if they didn't, it's worth it. I promise.

not so. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 01:10:11 PM EST
they usually have loan repayment assistance programs if you're making less than a certain amount, but the numbers don't work well.

(i've looked into this, natch.)

good god by persimmon (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 04:55:13 PM EST

That's why accreditation was invented. That's also why things like boards and bar exams were invented.

You lost.
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."

What are you talking about? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 04:58:37 PM EST
Seriously. Why are you even commenting?

because she's my friend. <nt> by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 06:38:36 PM EST
I'm sure your friends have been wrong before. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 06:45:14 PM EST
But I'm also sure that most of them understand the conventions of the English language.

Dude, please, just let it go. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 08:58:59 PM EST
This sort of intra-diary banter usually stems from incomplete IRC conver

and also because i'm completely, utterly by persimmon (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 09:51:31 PM EST
whacked on my sleep meds. Well, almost; not enough that I can't wiggle my fingers at the tv typewriter.

The point I thought I was making at the time was that boards/bars exist to ensure a minimum competence level for professionals, and accreditation bodies exist to provide a similar threshold for the educational bodies of a profession; these thresholds enable comparisons where cost IS an issue.

The "you lost" was originally part of a pargraph of wild speculation on situations (fields, mainly)  where these structures wouldn't hold and debacle was genuinely better off spending out his ass for a school which was worth it while the others in the field weren't. That's its own kind of hell, and in that sense, he lost. I completely failed to edit that paragraph into something both concise and snidely insulting, and I am probably going to regret trying to explain my stoned-off-my-ass comment while stoned off my ass as I look over all this tomorrow.
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."

i was torn there. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 06:27:59 AM EST
for one thing, i found your comment confusing and i didn't understand it.

for the other, i found "why are you even bothering commenting" to be hostile and rude and unwelcoming.

the second bothered me more than the first. :)

minimum by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 07:14:55 AM EST
One of my son's godfathers started law school this year (leaving a faculty position with tenure to change careers).  His sister is a high powered corporate lawyer.  Her advice is that there are about fifteen Law Schools That Matter, that get you the extra attention on the resume and boost of respect in the job in any legal field, not just corporate law.  Everything else is pretty much lumped in as the minimum requirement to hang your shingle.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

yes. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 09:28:31 AM EST
that is my sense, as well.

the school which waitlisted me is one of the Law Schools That Matter.

Can't you get in the back door? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:43:28 PM EST
I mean, if I wanted to (which I don't), I could go to Harvard Extension School and then, later, after half the class has OD'd or something, transfer into one of the other schools. It seems easier to do an internal transfer than get accepted.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
law school doesn't work that way, no. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:50:53 PM EST
Oh by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 01:43:19 PM EST
yes. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 02:22:29 PM EST
otherwise i could fairly easily, given a year or two, get into an master of liberal arts program at stanford.

Congrats... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 12:54:06 PM EST
i think.

Seriously, good luck on the remaining applications, the wait lists, and on deciding what do to with your life.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

none of us bay area folks by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 02:24:50 PM EST
are going to be owning property until real estate prices crash sufficiently. ucb excepted as be bought his joint during the last century.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

aye. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 02:29:50 PM EST
but ...

given my current income and spending patterns, i ought to be saving on the order of 21k/yr, not including bonuses or stock options or what have you.

over three years, that is 63k of forgone savings.

but if i have 130k debt, without interest, i have to pay off $1083/mo; with interest, that number goes up substantially. (i don't want to run the numbers right now).

round it at 1500?

Which means that i'm forced to take a job not paying substantially less than i'm making now (which rules out any form of government or public interest law, including clerking), and i can't start saving for a house until i'm 46.

46!

this isn't a wise economic move. it's lunacy.

I was just being my gloomy self by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 02:36:32 PM EST
it is certainly at least partly a financial calculation. Will the degree from uber-school help you earn all that money back quickly that you would be saving if you go a no-name school instead? And to make all that money would have to do soul killing work like patent law?

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Hooey! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 06:03:05 PM EST
indeed by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 06:10:57 PM EST
the 2006 and already the January 2007 estimates for Mexican and UKian oil production were 10% lower than expected. I just don't get it!

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

IAWTP by R343L (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 08:42:05 PM EST
God it's depressing, but I just can't think of spending 500k to own a condo. Or 700k (at least) to own a house way out in nowhere with a 1 hour commute one way to get to work.

Gah. Depressing.

Rachael

ego rub, rub, rub by R343L (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 08:43:47 PM EST
And I actually have a clue what you meant $MEGALOPOLIS_UNIVERSITY after I read it a couple times and realized which $MEGALOPOLIS you would be referring to. :)

Rachael

see, this is the point. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 06:27:07 AM EST
I'm not trying to hide which ones i'm talking about; I just don't want a university i'm talking about in this context to show up in a google search associated with my name.

Once i'm in school, whichever school i'm actually going to will be treated the same way, as will professor identities, etc.

But i'm fine with it being an 'open secret'.

yeah, I figured by R343L (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 08:47:47 AM EST
Trying not to spoil it. I'm just happy when I figure things out that others find obvious. :)

Rachale