Print Story Pains at the Panopticon
By johnny (Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 06:10:57 AM EST) (all tags)
As noted, for some time now, Sir Cheeseburger & I have been collaborating on a little novella called The Pains.  I'm writing it and he's illustrating it.

Our dear friend Kellnerin recently joined the party mix, doing that copyediting thing she does so well --saving me from my own sloppiness, if nothing else.

Today Chapter Three is up, only ten months late.

Check it out if you feel like it.  Thanks.

By the way, those of you who go back to the halcyon days at That Other Site before it began to suck may note the allusions to this  guy included in this new chapter.

< A one legged man, a midget, and a hermaphrodite walk into a bar... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Pains at the Panopticon | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Excellent! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 06:12:14 AM EST
I will read anon. The first two chapters certainly left me wanting more.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
this one will, too by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 07:32:24 AM EST
At least, it did me -- especially since johnny promised Chapter 4 *cough* last week ... so I'll be expecting it around Thanksgiving.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
Listen by johnny (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 07:47:04 AM EST
I already done told you once't: genius is pain.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.
Kudos! by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 10:12:16 AM EST
I like it. Of course, you might be overdoing the suspense aspect a bit, so I humbly suggest you post Chapter 4 sometime in this calendar year.

I am, of course, not yanking your chain. I know how children and work and life get overfoot so as to entangled even the surest gallop of creative madness, and I know how frustrating it can be to find the time and spirit to get your funk on all proper.

I am one step closer to being able to address your two or three remaining illustrations, as I've just managed to crap out a collection of my own yarns in printed form, thus freeing up some crowded plate for more self-abuse.

Have you figured out a way to get the book printed with colour illustrations without costing an arm and a leg to produce? If so, this'll be a sweet volume. If not, I can provide you with greyscale versions of the illustrations to date.

Good luck and god speed, my man!

I am from a small, unknown country in the north called Ca-na-da.
The answer to your questions is by johnny (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 12:58:19 PM EST
"I'm working on it."

Really, as I've said often, the book is essentially written in my notebooks.  The slowness is the rewriting: trying to get the voice just right. That takes concentration (for me, anyway), and finding concentration takes time, and finding time has been very difficult given my obligations over the last year of raining anvils.  However, it feels like my own internal logjam is breaking up, and I expect finishing the rest of the writing will be like ironing out wrinkles: the more I get done, the easier the remaining bits will become.

As to printing: I did get some estimates a year ago that were not too bad. They will have to be redone, of course, but I am determined to make this a pretty book to behold and to hold.

Stay tuned. . . and don't work too hard yourself.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.

kellnerin is a girl too? by fleece (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 12:51:59 AM EST
omg i have so much to learn

Well, you were by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 05:30:13 AM EST
halfway there. I'm just surprised you couldn't narrow it down further after reading "Mont Blanc."

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
Speaking of... by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 05:57:50 AM EST
Mont Blanc, we have a bag of chestnuts in the fridge. We should figure out how to do that with them.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

ha by fleece (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 12:36:34 AM EST
how can you remember the things i say when even i can't?

I drink less? by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 07:11:03 AM EST
aethucyn tells me I'm missing out on all sorts of beneficial memory loss. I said maybe, but my esophagus thanks me.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
Moreover by johnny (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 15, 2007 at 04:20:05 PM EST
she's hawt!

(Sorry K, you knew I had to say that. . .)
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.

Pains at the Panopticon | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback