Print Story I'm not a fugitive on the run
By R Mutt (Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 08:24:54 AM EST) MLP (all tags)
SF. Physics World interviews Alastair Reynolds. Brian Aldiss: SF is redundant. Bryan Appleyard: Oh no it isn't. [:( LL]

Joel on Software. College speech parts 1, 2, 3. Gnarly problems are what pay. [:(]

Dan Savage trolls readers by reissuing their advice, causing outrage. [:) NSFWFUP]

Random. Letter from the Government. Star Wars tattoos [NSFW]. YouTube: Max Headroom ad, Evolved Virtual Creatures [:)].

Economics. US trade gap. [:(]

One reason why the US economy is less inflation-prone than in the past is that a bigger share of any increase in domestic demand is absorbed by imports: the economy is more open than it used to be. Thus, instead of having "overheating" because demand is greater than supply, the gap between the two is filled by trade deficits. Hence, low rates stimulated consumer spending and the trade balance deteriorated by two percentage points of GDP. The US is rapidly accumulating foreign debt and that may lead to a brutal correction with a sharp drop in consumer spending and a large depreciation of the real exchange rate. In fact, that correction may have already begun. Yet the Fed is not supposed to look at the net foreign asset position of the US economy, even though both its deterioration and rising inflation are the symptom of the same problem -- excess domestic demand.
Key:
[#] = Free registration required
[$] = Possible corporate shill
[NSFW] = Not Safe For Work
[NSFWFUP] = Not Safe For Work For Ultra-Prudish
[(UK)] = UK-centric
[LL] = Late or repeated link
< on the beliefs of atheists and printing in linux | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm not a fugitive on the run | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
SF by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 08:34:29 AM EST
I find it really tedious when writers whine about what other writers are or are not writing about.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Savage by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 08:42:04 AM EST
Was demonstrating a cultural taboo. I loved it.

We have multiplied beyond our means, just as SF always said.

I don't if your other link countered this, but I think dystopian SF usually gets its own label because the vast majority of SF assumes we'll continue down the path of increasing technological complexity and command exponentially increasing amounts of energy as well.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

heh, the interwab treats censorship blah blah blah by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 09:30:02 AM EST
the stranger is banned, but not his otherwise circulated articles.

not sure that's the right division by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 10:02:04 AM EST
Lots of dystopian SF assumes this too. (Most of cyberpunk, for instance.)

The real trouble is that certain people think that SF has to be political whereas most writers are writing stories that interest them. There are trends in fiction that aren't directly related to what is "important" politically. In the seventies, everyone and their brother was writing ecological dystopias. Now the trend is space operas and modern fantasy. That's not a reflection of the politics of the authors. That's a reflection on the current trends in SF writing.

Aldiss is a product of the New Wave, and can't see anything in other than pure political terms.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Joel's thing by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 11:02:44 AM EST
About what school meant to him was interesting. As someone whose mind was most changed by logic courses at university, I feel pretty disappointed in him for not having loved the purity of it. But come to think of it, I remember two very dull lectures on reasoning that were about dynamic logic, which were concerning the Yale Shooting Problem, an issue to do with maintaining state, IIR(and summarise)C. I think it's a problem that would not occur if one were building up from predicate logic with real knowledge learnt from real programming. So he may have been biased.

Roger Schank sounds, from descriptions I have heard, to be an incredibly interesting character, the kind whose theories survive through bombast of character, rather than their own merits. That said, the picture I have of him has been completely overwritten by that of Yorick Wilks, who has done a volte face about his point of view on whether you can get results from structural, logical deconstructions of reasoning processes, or whether numerical methods should influence the decisions that are made. But personality wise, they seem the same.

All of which is rambling, slightly namedropping or theorydropping, reminiscences which you'd have had to have been there to understand.

I'm glad I read the articles. I feel quietly optimistic that I'm about to get a decent job offer soon, so it's good to have an overview of what I should keep in mind. It'll be on a piece of software that a) I'll be in charge of and b) will be used by an awful lot of people, so it's good to be reminded of that.

Joel on hardware by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 04:54:56 PM EST
that bit about how a spec that can be used to prove the program correct? Thats exactly how chips are designed. A bunch of really senior guys lay out the spec, the next bunch of hot shots take it to really low level, and a bunch of grunts go about verifying the design.

You could presumably come up with a means of showing your C++ code was identical to your python spec, just a bit faster.

Wumpus

My favorite version by blixco (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 03:08:53 PM EST
of Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos is the version sung by Marina Topley Bird on Tricky's first album.

That letter is hi-larious.
---------------------------------