Print Story Cancer is a nasty thing
Death
By ad hoc (Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 04:19:20 PM EST) (all tags)
Cousin Dave: 1957-2007

He was sick for a very long time. Cancer of the just about everything: lungs, pancreas, brain, kidney, liver.

He was a nice guy, though. One of those who'd give you the shirt off his back. Big midwestern meat and potato kid, he rode Harleys and looked as if he played for ZZ Top. Lately, he had dropped to 110 pounds. I doubt he'd weighed that since sixth grade.

We were never really super close. I always hung out with his older brother, and he hung out with my younger brother. But I've always liked him ever since the time he shot my brother in the ass with a BB gun. How can you not respect that! We'd build forts in the hay mound and go "exploring" on the back 40 while trying to avoid being gored by the cranky bull.

He hadn't worked for a while, but last Sunday, his doorbell rang. His wife got up to answer, and there were 23 people from his work place there to split and stack wood for the winter. Twenty three! I don't even know 23 people.

I'm trying to work on flights to Ohio. There looks to be a direct flight in and out of Akron/Canton which is about 1½ hour drive. The funeral is Friday. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it. Airlines don't make it easy to do these quick, last minute things.

He died at 1:15 this afternoon.

He's four months younger than I am.

< Great Moments in Dumb-Assery | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Cancer is a nasty thing | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm so sorry. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 04:29:59 PM EST
My best to you, to his wife, and to your entire family.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Wow. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 04:37:13 PM EST
Sorry to hear about this. If there's anything we can do, let us know. Our sympathies are with you, his family, and the rest of the folks who knew him.

And it may help to actually tell the airline folks there's a death in the family. In my experience, they're as helpful as they can be in these situations (which may not be much, but it is something).

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Sorry to hear about that, by ksiaz (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 04:38:26 PM EST
cancer is a nasty disease.  Slowly destroys the person and stresses out the family/friends in the process.

Holy fuck, you're fifty? by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 05:04:03 PM EST
Also, cancer sucks, in a very bad way. Sorry about your cousin's fate, man.

Also, it's a damned shame that kids today can't/won't build forts.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

I'm sorry. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 05:23:38 PM EST
That sucks.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

That is so sad. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 06:50:31 PM EST
I don't even know 23 people.

Yes you do. We're not imaginary internet friends.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Speak for yourself [nt] by leviramsey (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 07:28:39 PM EST

Could I be the next Lee Abrams?
Peace by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 04:47:36 AM EST
Bring a warm coat.

Akron/Canton is right small airport - you flying in on a Cessna?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Man that sucks by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 05:01:29 AM EST
the circle is one link smaller (to quote HST).

My sympathies by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 05:05:43 AM EST
To you and yours.

Gedvondur
"It is virtually impossible to effectively aim a jellyfish, a creature created by God almost solely for the purpose of not flying."- CRwM

Condolences, bro by johnny (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Dec 07, 2007 at 06:11:49 AM EST
Wow, this shit has got to stop. So as somebody elese around here said, Attention Death Infidel: enough already!

The following bit is very moving. I too used to build forts in the hay, get chased by a cranky bovine (cow, not bull in our case), and laugh when my brother got shot in the ass with a bb.

And like iGrrl said, you do too have more than 23 friends.
Buy my books, dammit!