Print Story Keeping the signal alive. PING!
By ambrosen (Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 02:53:51 AM EST) (all tags)
Bah, lost my original intro. This stuff's all random diary stuff anyway.

Hmm, 46 keys makes for tiresome diary writing. I'm getting lazy and less intrepid in my old age. Do you remember that million quid you spent attempting to persuade users to download stuff over mobile phone dialup, ambrosen? And now you've got full QWERTY, faster internet access and everything you'd want from a pocket device yet you think it's a chore to write on. Where is my flying car? Or even the internet access on the big fast machine in front of me (it's got everything barred, for patient privacy reasons. That said, it's got medical journals, so at least there's some research I can be doing into my own health)?

Convoluted sentences apart, what else can I talk about?

All's pretty damn OKish for me at the moment.

Was out Christmas shopping and impulse bought a PVR for the brother I'm living with, but once I'd paid for it (it was at Argos, who don't show you the goods until you've paid, Soviet style, and £60 for an 80GB recorder with DVD), it turned out to have a digital tuner, which is no good where we live. I pointed it out to the person selling it to me, who gave me the catalogue, where I persuaded her that the catalogue said analogue (actually, it merely said not digital), then she attempted to persuade me that digital was a superset of analogue, and then called the floor manager over to persuade me that digital is a superset of analogue, who called an 'expert' colleague over just as he was leaving, to persuade me of same, and another bloke behind the counter came over to join in. So there were four of them, gradually talking themselves into believing with certainty that this machine could decode analogue signals, and digital was a special bonus feature added, whereas I know that analogue uses an FM carrier and needs an ADC to be digitised and MPEG compression chips to put on disk, etc, whereas digital's transmitted on a QAM carrier and needs only resampling and recompressing to store on HD, but I held my counsel, because noone likes a smartarse and it's easy enough to take it back when I've proven it doesn't work. Anway, they all felt clever and pleased with themselves for successfully resolving a problem, and I dumped the machine on my parents, who should be most pleased with it, so all in all it's no problem.

I noticed in our new user's diary that he mentioned a colleague who couldn't use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager. I find Ctrl+Shift+Esc to be the better option, as it brings it straight up. Other not well enough known shortcuts: Windows + E, Windows + D and Windows + L.

Called a friend yesterday. She's just broken off an engagement, and doesn't seem too bothered about it, so all I could think of was how annoyed I was at the reduction in numbers of 'safe' friends to bitch and moan to without worrying about them getting too attached to you. Especially those who have brains and emotional articulacy. But it's still shite for her. Seemed like a match made in heaven: her with huge breasts, him with a brand new BMWAlpina. Anyway, that's flippant, because they're both real people, and nice.

Citrix, as promised, is merely that someone's managed to set the default printer on people's Citrix desktops to MS Document Image Writer. Which would be fine, except one of the proprietary apps normally prints from buttons with no dialog box, and it's one helpdesk has no access to, so we're having to attempt to talk people through things we don't know. Anyway... I'll get VNC access in the new year. Should make things easier.

Lots of driving this weekend. Up to Holyhead to get the ferry to Dublin, then coming back New Year's Day. Should be OK.

Applied for lots of jobs today. Hope some come through. Also saw a doctorate position that's interesting. Procrastinating over writing the enquiry email. Needs done by 1st Jan.

Enough rambling. Enjoy.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Keeping the signal alive. PING! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Well, I guess I could edit the story. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 05:01:03 AM EST
But I just remembered what I wanted to write. I spent boxing day playing around in My parents' kitchen cooking things, all special on account of me not having the ability to eat, like, anything normal, and I was happy as a pig in shit.

And my Mum came in and said how the difference between me and her was that I enjoyed cooking and she never really did. I have to say I'd never really known that. It just goes to show how you take your parents for granted. Anyway, I pointed out that it was her who made me want to do it and patiently waited for me to do whatever I was doing, so it was worth her having spent all that time 20 years ago.

But it was different for her, because food was scarce when she was at infant school, despite the fact she came from a fairly rich family. So there wasn't the abundance we get nowadays from food, even though they weren't short of much (detatched house in zone 2, etc).

Anyway, made her happy.

Putting a smile on your Mum's face by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:03:14 AM EST
Is the best gift you can give your parents, ever.  Doesn't do you no harm either.

Definitely. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:28:50 AM EST
It's quite tricky with my Mum too, because she's quite prickly and vulnerable. Also she's prone to saying things I get upset about so I can be wary of her too.

And the next generation's putting a smile on my face in only two hour's time, so that's cool.

Double karma points then! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 11:53:25 AM EST
NT

What kind of doctoral position? (n/t) by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 07:46:32 AM EST

EngD by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:20:06 AM EST
Combining multiple information streams for emergency services communications. Mixing voice, video and text coms in one box. While the user's got better stuff to do. We'll see if my Information Retrieval skillz are what's wanted. The PI's website says he's HCI. But there's people I know from Edinburgh in the department, so that's nice.

No harm getting overeducated for another 4 years. Money's 75% of national average, so that's good for studying.

I take it you're all MBAed up. Has it helped?

Eh... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 10:26:17 AM EST
pros and cons to the education racket.

If you think you have any interest at all in working in academic areas then it's definitely worth it as those jobs all rely on the pieces of paper and once you're at Doctorate level it's self-financing if you can control your financial needs. So, if researchy type work ever appeals to you, doing the D opens up options you won't have otherwise.

The downside is if you're wanting industry work ... unless you work academically with people who have a lot of contacts in the specific area you're interested in you'll get a bunch of snide rejections on "industry experience" grounds. But that was bad planning on my part perhaps for the MBA.

However, if you, like me have a recent work history which doesn't lead to the job you wanted, then edumacation is one of the better ways to change fields.

The one caveat (which is bleeding obvious) is that make sure you like the topic. X years will drive you mad if you don't really, really enjoy the field.

Keeping the signal alive. PING! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)