Print Story Keep On Truckin'
Games
By georgeha (Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 07:25:17 AM EST) boardgaming, sledding, comix (all tags)
Plus, snow day, med change, Dolphins at Daybreak, sledding etiquette, elf yourself, the hottest ticket this fall, potluck, Antike and less.

Poll: Favorite Inuit/Eskimo invention?

If you're the parent of a girl tween, you know Hannah Montana is the biggest thing around, even bigger than Britney's younger sister (at least for the next 5 months and no, we haven't broached the subject with eleven year old yet). She's on a concert tour, which is selling out in minutes, and she was here on Sunday. The paper had an article about the insanity of it, some woman from the DC area spent $1800 on four tickets up here, to take her five year old daughter. Eleven year old wanted to go, but didn't get through ticketmaster, and I refused to pay scalper prices. Porsche_girl wanted to go to, but got shut out of ticketmaster. On the advice of her cousin, Porsche_girl called early in the morning on Sunday, and got 4 close seats, and was able to go. I did tell eleven year old that if the snow came down in the upper end of the predicted amount (2 feet), we'd hike to the arena and pick up cheap tickets from scalpers trying to recoup their losses.

We got a lot of snow on Sunday ( which sadly didn't help the Bills against the Browns, but not enough to shut down the city, maybe 8 inches. The kids did get a snow day on Monday out of the deal, ironically I took Monday off so Mrs. Ha and I could spend some time together, alone. We made the most of the snowfall, building a topless igloo (the roof is a toughie, I think we've underestimated those Inuits) in our front yard, going sledding at the reservoir, and taking it easy. I shoveled at least three times too, who needs to go to the gym when you can workout like that. It's been four years since I last ranted about sledding etiquette, my rants have not really been heeded. There were many people walking up the hard packed sled run, it's understandable for a six year old, not for a teenager.

Saturday was the monthly gaming meet, and I was able to go for four hours. I didn't get in any hex and counter wargaming, but I did get to play Antike, a civilization building game that takes place in Europe or the near and middle east, depending on how the board is flipped. We played in the near and middle east, I had the Greeks, and I was against the Persians, Phoenicians and Egyptians. It was a lot of fun, I don't think I'll get it though, when will I get enough people to play against? The Persians eeked out a victory in the end.

While I was gaming, newspaper_girl came over, and she and eleven year old and six year old played with elfyourself. You can see the efforts with our happy family.

Mrs. Ha is going through a rough time. At first we hoped it was her
thyroid, but the blood work shows her levels are normal. Part of it may be due to her med change, she had elevated prolactin levels, so she switched anti-psychotic, which has caused some sleep problems, which is usually bad as it keeps me up, too. Other parts of it are lack of daylight, her mom, and her job. Things are going to be rocky for a while longer.

We went to our school's winter potluck dinner Tuesday, it was nice but crazy. The girls had a real fun time hanging with their friends, we talked a little with other parents, but it was rushed and frantic.

And now, media reviews.

We watched Crumb this weekend. For some odd reason, while I like lots about the 60's, I've never gotten into Comix. Sure, I can recognize the famous ones, but I could never tell you much about Mr. Natural, the Freak Brothers, or any of them. It ended up being an entertaining biopic, but more for seeing Crumb's crazy family, Robert seems to the most together, misogynistic warts and all. Maybe I'll get American Splendor for more comix fun.

In Dolphins at Daybreak, Jack and Annie end up on a coral reef, go for a ride in a leaking broken submarine, and meet some friendly dolphins. As you might expect, they get back to Frog Creek safely.

Let's get a little more manly and talk about cars and electricity and small engines. The ladies can skip until the next paragraph, where we talk about shopping.

In car news, my electrically heated seat cover is only working intermittently. I'm not looking forward to a winter without it. Our snowthrower isn't starting either, I'm not looking forward to a snowy winter without it. In a triumvirate of problems, the new ballast in our kitchen light is not working either, I'm not looking forward to a dark winter without it.

We're nearly done with our Christmas shopping, tonight may be the last big trip we need. We're going to drop the kids off at my parents to get some time shopping, and alone. Due to the snow, we didn't get our Sunday time together.

Tomorrow looks to be a light day too, with knocking off early for a team building event before everyone goes their own way, except for the few of us working the days after Christmas.

< The return of Super High Tech Jet Fighters!! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Keep On Truckin' | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Excellent! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 07:51:20 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Speaking of the 11 year old by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 07:55:29 AM EST
Have you had The Talk with her yet?

My parents never had the talk with me or my sisters, rather they had a set of books they gave us to read. Of course we knew most everything about those subjects anyways via word of mouth and made up lies from friends. I imagine with the Internets kids learn about that stuff before they hit double digits age wise.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Some days I'm glad my kids are girls by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 08:01:26 AM EST
The Talk is up to Mrs. Ha, though eleven year old shrieks if we say hormone.

She's still in the boys are icky stage, and I try to let her know boys can be friends, as she has strengths in math and science, you know, boy dominated fields.

Six year old is boy crazy, she'll probably need The Talk before she turns ten.

11 years old by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 08:05:45 AM EST
Was Mr's Ha an early or late bloomer? Eleven is in the hormone starter age range for some girls, no?

Truth be told that's the whole reason I'm never having kids. Just the thought of having to deal with all that when you're at the age when you'd rather hang out in the basement with your workbench makes me break out in a cold sweat.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Eleven year old is blooming by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 08:08:53 AM EST
Mrs. Ha was an early bloomer. That reminds me, I should work on my basement workroom, install a door, hook up the hifi, run some cat5...

and put by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:00:53 AM EST
a bed in, lock on the door, pit in the floor, just keep precious away from it.

It's amazing how much variation there is by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 06:59:55 PM EST
at that age. My own 11 year old daughter seems utterly uninterested in boys at this point, but we also recently added an 11 year old to the adult class because older boys are already sniffing around and dad wants her to be able to kick their asses. Whether this will help, I don't know, since she just started wearing eye shadow and blush to karate class.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Sledding, etc. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 08:21:58 AM EST
I'm sitting here watching the snow come down. Again. I still, though, have never been sledding -- perhaps I should figure out a way to remedy that this winter. When I do, I'll try to make sure I don't violate etiquette.

You've probably already checked this, but if your seat cover plugs in to the cigarette lighter, then you might need to clean the contacts. My '87 Toyota Tercel had a problem with the contacts fouling, and then I'd end up with an intermittently working cd player until I cleaned it.

Elfyourself frightens me.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco

It's a good excuse to buy riding gear by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 08:27:28 AM EST
I have insulated, waterproof armored riding pants (I got them off ebay from a seller in Alabama, why someone in Alabama wanted insulated riding pants I don't know) and an armored touring jacket, I can bump into a kid and not even feel it.

Pelican makes good sleds, we have a 2-3 person blakc tobaggon that goes fast and is easy to pull back uphill, though cafeteria trays and cardboard works in a pinch. Just remember, walk back up on the sides of the run, where the snow is not packed down.

ebay is a great idea. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:05:29 AM EST
I was going to check craigslist for stuff, too, and you're right that sledding would be a good excuse. I was thinking of getting the cheap plastic sleds my grocery store often has -- basically just a flat disc, but I think it would suit my purposes.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Newenough is real cheap too by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:11:49 AM EST
they have lots of last year models and closeouts. I got two helmets, gloves and a jacket from them.

My recruiter lied to me about that bit. by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 12:01:15 PM EST
Rest assured, Mr. Ha, it's plenty fucking cold in Anniston at this time of year.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

come on out by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #20 Sat Dec 22, 2007 at 04:00:21 PM EST
we'll take you sledding. it'll be fun.
---------
WIPO: Inunnguat. When I discovered . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:08:23 AM EST
. . . during my travels how the Inuit herded the ever-cautious caribou into funnels so that they could actually get close enough to throw a spear, I was very impressed. Low-tech psychology at its finest.

American Splendor by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:20:59 AM EST
was really good. You should rent it!

We're -- including you -- are too far south by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:31:53 AM EST
to get the kind of snow needed for an igloo roof. You need snow that is light, yet compacted enough to hold together and be sculpted. Most snow we get is too wet and heavy or too dry and loose. And I'm presuming that you don't have a proper whalebone knife to cut and shape the blocks with.

I know, we might have had better luck by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 09:37:10 AM EST
with a piled snow cave, but the snow was packing fine in our recycling bin, I should take pictures.

Crumb... by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 10:10:54 AM EST
I really enjoyed that. Saw it in college, or shortly thereafter. Which reminds me - I always meant to get that soundtrack.

Holy Shit by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 01:41:13 PM EST
You let a teenager live after walking up the damned path?  Holy shit.  That's a hangin' offense from where I'm from.

Click
They outnumbered me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 02:23:35 PM EST
5 to 1, and some of them were minorities!

Keep On Truckin' | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback