Print Story word to the wise: don't go running in snow and ice
By lm (Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 08:04:48 AM EST) (all tags)
My legs are still cold. Blather follows.

As an aside in William Arkin's blog piece from today he mentions a `new' munition being used in the air war in Afghanistan, a concrete-filled bomb -- called a 500-lb. "rock" -- that does not explode but can destroy structures. Is it not ironic that after spending hundreds of trillions of dollars, military scientists have regressed to throwing rocks at targets? Of course, these are laser-guided, precision targeted rocks. But they are rocks, nonetheless.

I'm a bit surprised at how much easier I become out of breath running when it is twenty-one degrees outside rather than thirty-five degrees. Saturday night, I ran in the freezing rain just over two and a half miles when it was thirty-five degrees with no problem other than my legs getting a bit numb from all the pavement pounding. This morning, I ran just over a mile and I'm was of breath and had to walk the mile back to the office. Or maybe it's the 500 foot difference in elevation between the neighborhood where I work (950ft above sea level) and the neighborhood where I live (450ft above sea level). The difference in elevation almost certainly accounts for the difference in the snow and ice still on the ground by where I work. Everything melted on my home turf. Running on top of snow and ice really blows chunks.

I'm fascinated by Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and it's variants. Turns out some variations are communicable via surgical instruments even after sterilization. See: Hospital in Milwaukee deals with rare disease. The interesting blurb to me is this: The degenerative brain ailment can be passed on by surgical instruments even after they have been sterilized by normal means. ... The instruments were treated in bleach and then sterilized again using the hospital's normal procedure. I don't know if the prions that cause normal CJD are as tough as the one's that cause Mad Cow. The Mad Cow prions have to be heated up to the point where the molecules become plasma to destroy them. Bleaching the instruments may not have done anything.

Newsflash: Almost Half of USians Google for Themselves. The real shocker from the article is that Pew also found that teens were more likely than adults to restrict who can see their profiles at an online hangout like Facebook or News Corp.'s MySpace. Really? Could it be that be adults don't have to worry so much about what their parents might find online?

I'm still getting used to not have to study every night. I should be studying some, though. But right now I  need to shift into high gear to get grad school apps out. The deadline approaches.

< Yeah, we got dogs and Valvoline | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
word to the wise: don't go running in snow and ice | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You have energy for running? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 09:11:20 AM EST
After three bouts of shoveling I barely have the energy to lift a pint.

Different muscle groups by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 09:25:48 AM EST
Shoveling doesn't work the legs. Although if I did forty minute to an hour of shoveling, I wouldn't have bothered to go running.

Cicero, The Republic
I reckon an hour is about right for yesterday by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Dec 17, 2007 at 09:33:17 AM EST
Two sidewalks, and three car lengths of a driveway, then some igloo time.

Maybe half an hour today.

Snowblower, FTW by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 03:20:47 AM EST
Only 25 minutes, and my back thanks me for not shoveling.

Ours is messed up by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 04:20:48 AM EST
I didn't even start it last year, I suspect the gas is too old to be good. I need to drain the gas tank, get rid of the old gas, change filter maybe, clean the carb, and try again. Probably not this year.

Throwing rocks by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 02:51:56 AM EST
Ever read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I may have by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 03:10:07 AM EST
I read quite a bit of the sci-fi classics in elementary school and high school. I can't remember everything I've read.

But I will concede that such a background has led me to conclude that the `nukes in space' panic is a furphy. Of course that may not have been my sci-fi background. One only need to consider Tunguska to understand the potential of rocks dropped from the heavens as weapons.

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe, but by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 03:25:22 AM EST
until we have a means of getting things into space other than chemical rockets, nukes are more cost effective than an inert mass.

Are they? by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 03:55:43 AM EST
Nukes have far more expensive upkeep than rocks. I'll concede that getting a single nuke to orbit and dropping it, even with the price of building the nuke, is likely to be less than maneuvering a large rock to drop. But once the question moves to keeping the nuke operable and ready to drop over time, the rocks may have the edge.

But I'll also grant that with present technology, keeping nukes in space is doable while it will take a while before we can maneuver large enough inert objects into the correct position to use as weapons. But if China manages to set off another moon race or if the US ever gets serious about going to mars, I expect that to change in short order.

Cicero, The Republic
Sorry, but Tunguska was Tesla's doing. by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 18, 2007 at 08:31:48 AM EST
This really is common knowledge.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here