Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 04:45:54 AM EST) A Day in the Life, WTF, Microsoft, UNIX, Not Compaq, Tollwood, fuckwits, pie (all tags)
Survey Says...

Dear Microsoft,

When I fill out your dynamic survey, and in it I specify that I'm not a manager (question #21), that I have nothing to do with corporate policy (question #25) and that my job duties entail IT and software support (question #35), do not then throw management-style idiotspeak at me in a follow-up question.

Also, unexpected job-related happiness including alcohol and boxen.

Beer poll
x-posted to da brog.

In your current job, which of these statements best describes your strategic engagement with corporate IT policy?
Please select only one.

• Setting IT strategy, policies and/or goals for your company
  • Working with others to help establish IT strategy, policy or goals for your company
  • Translating business requirements of internal clients into technology solutions
  • Implementing established IT strategy, policies or goals

None of those, you fuckwits. What the fuck does number three even mean?

At 2:30 yesterday some guys from $BigComputerCo stopped by to meet me in the CubeDesk of Hate. They're involved in hardware consulting for customers implementing $OurBigApp. Hi, How are you?, Nice to meet you, Thanks for the card, Why the fuck are you talking to me? I don't even deal with these guys tangentially. An hour later Shrek told me that we're going out to drink Gl├╝hwein (mulled wine) with them in half an hour. Cool beans!

That half hour became a full hour, in which time the rain had started. Instead of going within walking distance of my home we were going to the winter fairgrounds. Fine. Then Shrek told me they're treating us. Aw, HELLS yeah!

The guys were nice enough, the beer was free, we chatted for a few hours, and at the end of it I may be getting some free rack boxen. Big rack boxen. Stuff that's anything from 4-16U and runs some flavour of UNIX. Now I just have to figure out where the hell to plug it in -- I can't afford the juice at home.

One week from today I will be in a bar in Paris although not on $BigComputerCo's dime. Say luh gair.

< husifiary | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
number 3 translation by Merekat (4.00 / 5) #1 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 04:56:18 AM EST
You make sure the boss can get his e-mail.

That much input? by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 07:32:17 AM EST

I read it as "I am a peon and do what I'm told, how I'm told".

number three by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 05:09:15 AM EST
You can look at the internal divisions of your company as clients of your internal IT department. They have certain business needs (say, they require a bunch of information to be stored somewhere and need to be able to ask certain questions about that information) and it would be your job to implement the business solution (say, building and maintaining the database).

I think this is a question you were completely not meant to answer, it's the sort of thing to ask somebody who is in, say, the IT department of a car manufacturer, not somebody who is providing technical support to external clients of an IT company.

er, technology solution NT by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 05:10:26 AM EST
techNology soluTion

I do some internal IT stuff here by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 05:21:10 AM EST
Along with helping out the real IT people on occasion, I built and maintained the internal crash & burn lab as well as the internal local storage servers and a few other IT-ish things. I also directly administer machines and networks for those 17s out there too dumb to follow instructions but who can be guided enough to set up a Web conference and transfer control to me.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Well, carry on, then. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 07:20:37 AM EST

Number three by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 01:51:11 PM EST
Gather user requirements and design (and possibly implement) a solution that fulfils those requirements, internally to your company rather than for external customers.

Obvious really...

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

A Day in the Life | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback