Print Story ATTN: SoCal infidels
By miker2 (Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 04:17:40 AM EST) vacation (all tags)
We're heading to San Diego tomorrow for a five day weekend.

Is there anything that we should see that's not in the tour book?

We've already gotten tickets to the zoo, wild animal park, and the Colts-Chargers game on Sunday, so we're getting our fill of touristy stuff.

Are there any husi-folk from the area?

< de Menezes: should Metropolitan Police Commissioner resign? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ATTN: SoCal infidels | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bring marshmallows. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 04:37:46 AM EST

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
True by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 05:45:47 AM EST
When I booked the trip I had no idea that California spontaneously combusted every year from LA to Mexico.  Imagine my surprise about two weeks ago.

There's no mention in the San Diego papers about any ongoing fires, so I think we're safe.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
years ago by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 05:54:33 AM EST
when I was in SD, i really enjoyed La Jolla.  Snorkling there ruled.

La Jolla is on the list by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 06:17:41 AM EST
I'm not so sure the water's warm enough to snorkel in, although I could pack/rent a wetsuit.  I'll certainly give it a try though.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
two things by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 06:06:34 AM EST

Answers by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 06:16:10 AM EST
  • We as in my girlfriend and I.  The trip comes from an idea that we had when doing a 20 mile run together back in May.
  • (un)fortunately, all of the SD tri's are done for the season.  I'm actually looking forward to not having to pack up my cycling stuff (and bicycle) for a vacation.  We do plan on running a few times in the area as we're both doing the Philadelphia marathon the weekend after we get back.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
What's the Philly marathon like? by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 08:54:50 AM EST
After races of 28 and 90 degrees, I think I'm done with Chicago.

Is philly a good one to run? Are there any other on the right coast that you recommend?

No idea by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 09:10:52 AM EST
This is my first year actually running the race.  I've been registered for the previous three years but injury, burnout, and a ruptured appendix changed those plans.

From what I hear, it's a good race.  Boston qualifier, relatively flat (one decent hill in Manyunk around mile 20), and at <10K runners, a 'small' big city marathon.

It's looking to be a cold one this year, it's already around freezing in the morning, but I'll take 40 degrees over 90 any day.

I'd stay away from the Delaware marathon.  My girlfriend ran it in May and it's a boring 5 loop course with very limited on course aid.  And since you're running through Wilmington, the view sucks too.

The Lake Placid marathon in NY is nice.  Run on the Ironman course and a small field, only 7 hours from Philly.

We're going to do the Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach marathons next February and March, both of which I've heard great things about.

I also meant to come see you at Ruby East, since I work across the street from where the conference was, but didn't get the chance.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I didn't know you were so close. by mmangino (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 06:31:40 PM EST
I'll be moving to Philly in June. You'll have to clue me in to all the good running places.

Other options by DivideByZero (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 06:39:51 AM EST
I've never read the tour book on San Diego, so I don't know what's listed :-)

I'll give you a few more:

I'm too lazy to make up a sig
The Model Railroad Museum by Greener (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 08:08:12 AM EST
in Balboa Park near the Zoo is a neat place to geek out for a couple hours if you're in to that sort of thing.

Where are you staying by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 10:52:43 AM EST
and are you renting a car?   I lived in La Jolla for 6 years, so I know the area fairly well.  If you have a car, it might be fun for you to drive up to Palomar and see the 'big eye' here (largest telescope in the world for 40 years).  Pacific Beach is kinda fun.  Downtown has some nice spots.  PM me if you have something in mind specifically.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Location by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 02:10:32 PM EST
The hotel is in the 'hotel circle' area by Sea World.  I had no idea where to book, so I just looked for something reasonable inside of the city limits.

We will have a rental car.  Great idea about Palomar, we'll have to go there and see that.  Are there tours available?

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Palomar by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 05:07:19 PM EST
Yoink:  http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/tours.html

Hotel circle is Just north of downtown in an otherwise pointless valley.  10 minutes north on I-5, and you are in La Jolla, 10 minutes south, downtown.

In La Jolla, there are some nice rocky beaches, and some sandy ones with water access, all within easy walking distance of each other.  The aquarium there is small, but nice.

Check out Torrey Pines state reserve (just outside La Jolla) if you get a chance:

Near downtown, definitely try and find Berta's restaurant, and PRAY that Berta is making the mole that night.  Great selection of south american beers there, and walking distance from a nice place to sample very good tequilas.  In fact that whole area of Old Town is a nice place for a nighttime stroll + booze

----