Print Story It was an early bonfire night
Educashun
By georgeha (Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 05:37:39 AM EST) epoxy, bonfire, school choice (all tags)
and we burned some Guy's Futon.

Plus: Dinosaurs Before Dark, from the Heart of Me, bonfire, JB Weld, school choice, paypal works and less.

Poll: What school should eleven year old go to?

Dang, that was too busy of a weekend. Things are going to get busier too, I don't see much of a let up until Thanksgiving week.

Six year old was sick with a cold, she even stayed home Friday and Monday. I even ran to the grocery store Monday morning to get some sort of decongestants for her. Good thing Mrs. Ha is off Monday.

Of course she couldn't go to the bonfire Saturday night, so eleven year old and I just went. It was nice to chat with some old friends, but it was a little strained as I hadn't seen most of those people for a few years. Eleven year old was the only girl there, too, so she felt shy and stuck close to me all night. One might be amazed at how quickly an old, dry pine futon frame can flare up, and it sure put out a lot of heat. We ate late, so I passed on the spam and onion sammies cooked in a pie iron on the fire.

We ate late because Saturday we had newspaper_girl and Porsche_girl over for a few hours. It was cookie pickup day and newspaper_dad took eleven year old to get them, and then dropped off his daughter and Porsche_girl for a few hours, including dinner (a quick pizza), which everyone liked. Six year old is now asking for pizza for dinner, one more thing the whole family will eat.

In addition to the usual mess, we found out missed some open houses for the schools, including the ultraselect school of the arts. The school sent home flyers in eleven year old's folders, but she never mentioned it and we didn't look until it was too late. It's dang aggravating, what does it take to get eleven year old to care about her school?  Even worse, it was my mother who found out that we had missed the open houses, buy do we look out of it.

In the meantime, we have open houses to attend most nights for the next two weeks. Busy busy busy. Last night was an open house at a local magnet school named for our first big CEO. It was big, about 700 7th graders. On the positive side, it's only 7th-9th graders in the school, and they have a uniform policy. The nightly pick out clothing for tomorrow will only take a minute. It's academically rigorous, too, and focused on math and science which eleven year old does really well with. On the negative side, it's on the other side of the city, in a not very great neighborhood, and the busing would be city buses, not school buses. We saw quite a few parents of classmates, at least 7 classmate's worth, including newspaper_mom and girl, who said they missed the school of the arts open house, too. Six year old ended up asking most of the questions, too, she's a real charmer. We did get a little feel for it, and eleven year old is starting to understand that she needs to get interested in the process fast. I think we'll be lining up some interviews with recent charter school graduates who attend the local high schools.

We did get through a movie Saturday night, The Heart of Me, a BBC period drama dealing with a love triangle between a woman, her husband and her sister. Recommended if you like 1930's period dramas, or Helene Bonham Carter's bare breasts.

We also finished the first book in the Magic Treehouse series, Dinosaurs Before Dark, in which Jack and Annie find the treehouse, and travel back in time to see dinosaurs, including a Triceratops, Tyrannosaurus, some duck billed dino, and a Pteranadon, which six year old informs me is not really a dinosaur. I should take the up with her teacher.

Hooray for JB Weld! Mrs. Ha informed me Saturday that the washing machine was leaking, and with my dad's help Sunday we determined that the tub had a small split in it, at the seam joining the side and bottom. My first attempt at a patch was to mix up some JB Weld and cover the seam, working blind from underneath, while Mrs. Ha tilted the washer up. So far, it's done one load without leaking. I'm hoping this holds up for another year, or ten.

Amazingly, paypal works. I ordered a cycle part back in August, hoping to salvage my riding season. It never arrived, so I escalated my dispute, having paid for it through paypal, and never gotten an email or telephone answer from the place. Sunday they decided in my favor, but did't have the money, though they said they would give a strict talking to and possibly even stop their account. Yesterday they got me my money! I may top $100 in my account if my ebay auctions do as well as I think they will, which will help buy Christmas gifts. Easy come easy go.

Mrs. Ha wants to give the buy cheap at thrift shops and resell on ebay a try, AF_mom did well doing that in LA, between the thrift shops and the curb pickings. It combines shopping with internet browsing, sounds like a good match for Mrs. Ha.

< fings | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It was an early bonfire night | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
shopping and browsing by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 05:50:04 AM EST
and lots of paperwork and trips to the PO.. You can eke out a profit doing it, but ya gotta work for it.

She likes thrifting by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 05:58:08 AM EST
and gets a fair amount of our clothing there. Now if she sees something she thinks will sell, she'll pick it up and resell.

I like to do it too, right now I have a pair of GORE-TEX pants for sale I paid 50 cents for (I'm also wearing a pair of Banana Republic pants I paid $2.99 for), it's already more than that. I expect Acquire, for which I paid 59 cents for, will go for around $30.

It's hard to make a living on it, but $50 a week sounds doable, with just a few good items.

dude, you have acquire? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 05:22:56 AM EST
where's this auction at?

ebay, vintage 1971 unpunched unplayed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 06:22:10 AM EST
I may buy a played with version at some point for $20, but for now the auction is looking promising, 5 bids, $10 usd and 6 days to go.

thanks for the link. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 07:00:52 AM EST
i put a watcher bid in there.

No problem by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 07:07:17 AM EST
does your gf need size 3 blue Doc Martens? Do you need large Gore-tex Cabela overpants?

I'm curious as to how it sells, this is the first time I found a good game a thrift shop to sell. I'm just glad I rescued it before it was thrown away, it looked old and insignificant.

Poll Response: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:12:07 AM EST
11 year old should go to the school she wants to go to. After all, she's old enough to make decisions like that on her own, and you should be letting her have control of her life now.

#;^)

But she doesn't know what school she wants to by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:14:20 AM EST
go to. Maybe I need to make up a dartboard.

Or just let her take a couple years off by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:17:21 AM EST
while she decides. After all, she's mature enough now to do that now.

just make damn sure by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:28:15 AM EST
the little tomboy takes Home Ec, because she needs that kind of softening up.

If you want to joke around with mr ha, by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:34:59 AM EST
start you own thread.

if you can't laugh at it by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 06:53:24 AM EST
...

Oh, I am laughing at it. Don't worry. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 08:39:27 AM EST
In fact I find the whole thing preposterous. Here. Have a 4.

thanks and don't forget by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 09:30:01 AM EST
  • never be late for your interview
  • have another donut
  • punk music includes Tom Petty
  • bitches iz crazy, yo.

Also: by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 04:05:33 PM EST
  • Roads are for cars, so get your ass in the bike lane.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

Nope by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 09:42:10 AM EST
Clearly he should make every single decision for her until he dies.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Chicken Tortilla Casserole: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 09:54:31 AM EST
3-4  chicken breasts
10  ounces cream of chicken soup
1  cup sour cream
6  ounces mild green chilies
8-12  ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
6  ounces black olives (optional)
6-8  flour tortillas (depends on size)
  1. Boil chicken, cool and shred into bite-size pieces.
  2. Place chicken, soup, sour cream, green chilies and olives (optional) in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Cut tortillas in ½ or ¼ (your preference) and layer on the bottom of a greased (spray with cooking spray) casserole dish so entire bottom is covered.
  4. Spoon 1/3 mixture on top of tortillas
  5. Top with 2-3 oz shredded cheese (enough to cover chicken mixture).
  6. Repeat tortilla, chicken filling and cheese layers two times
  7. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through; approximately 30-45 minutes.
Note: Depending on the desired thickness of the casserole you can use a 9x13 or 8x8 baking dish.
This can also be made with corn tortillas however they will be a little chewy.

Got any good crockpot recipes? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 10:00:32 AM EST
We have Girl Scouts tomorrow night, and another Open House on Thursday, so little time for cooking.

But by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 10:05:16 AM EST
You started it by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 10:47:45 AM EST
But then, you never bothered to listen in the first place.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
HAHAHAHAAAA!!! That's the most age appropriate by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 10:58:39 AM EST
or should I say maturity-level appropriate comment I think I've ever seen from you.

Go tell you mommy that "I started it" why don't cha'

Ok by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 11:30:30 AM EST
I'll just take the passive-aggressive approach from now on and litter the site with comments about fascist fathers.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
So you'll just act natural by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 11:43:55 AM EST
like you always have.

I didn't call you a bad father by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 11:50:00 AM EST
Though I apparently hit a nerve. Honestly, I wish I could undo that comment because it's caused nothing but trouble. Not because I believe I was wrong...I don't. But because you clearly have labeled me "enemy" because I have a different opinion from you on parenting.

Chip. Shoulder. Etc.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

See this is your problem: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 02:12:56 PM EST
You're so busy putting what you think are my thoughts in your head that you don't have time to analyze or understand your own.

You haven't made any enemy. I'm not that shallow. You only think I'm that shallow. You actually appear to be very much like msrat. So, relax. Get over yourself. In the end, what you think about other people isn't near as important as how they really are. Learn to tell the difference.

Oh by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 02:29:19 PM EST
So you're just being a dick, then. Got it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
See? Too busy putting what *you* think by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 02:39:57 PM EST
are my thoughts into your own head (and being offended by them) to even pay attention to what I was saying.

Ok by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 03:36:59 PM EST
You're just acting like a dick. Is that objective enough for you?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
surprise surpirse -- greyrat is a dick. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 05:25:33 AM EST

wipo by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 07:26:56 AM EST
the free one. tuition for middle school? good grief.

Well, if it protects her from swarthy young men by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 08:01:54 AM EST
you know who sex crazed those dusky skinned sorts are.

I'm really not wanting to pay for tuition, and it's been years since anyone was killed at a city school.

Yuppers by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 09:40:36 AM EST
Why, one of them ruined this poor woman's reputation!.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i just love by moonvine (4.00 / 2) #20 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 11:16:23 AM EST
helena bonham carter, will watch!

We aim to please by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 11:20:39 AM EST

There's no doubt about it by dmg (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 01:42:09 PM EST
Helena  is hot.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I'm the one who voted suburbs by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 02:23:09 AM EST
But of course, I'm biased.  Greece schools served me well, and I hear that Penfield and Fairport schools are very good too.  The mortgage on my 1100' sqft house is only slightly more than a decent apartment in the area.

However, I've heard many good things about Wilson as well, and a friend's MIL teaches there and raves about it.

We'll see what East has to offer by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 04:00:56 AM EST
and Nazareth's tuition is only $4500 a year, nearly doable.

you have a different concept of 'doable' than I do by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #42 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 04:32:55 AM EST
I'd rather send my kids to the schools I'm already paying for through taxes, even if I wouldn't have to borrow to pay that.

I think I would be happy with Wilson by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #43 Thu Nov 08, 2007 at 04:51:02 AM EST
granted we'd probably be driving her to and from there, and it is on Genesee street. Still we're exploring options.

homeschool by garlic (4.00 / 1) #35 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 05:28:38 AM EST
it's two birds with one stone -- your wife doesn't want to go to work, and your daughter doesn't want to go to school.

We've talked a little about it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 06:23:03 AM EST
but Mrs. Ha doesn't think she has the high school knowledge to properly teach it (she was quite the underachiever).

hmm by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 07:41:52 AM EST
would it be mean to say it?

Go ahead by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 07:51:47 AM EST
where we are coming from is that eleven year old is a math whiz, and Mrs. Ha never got past algebra, let alone trig or calc.

It was an early bonfire night | 43 comments (43 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback