Print Story My son the inciter
By ucblockhead (Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 01:55:56 PM EST) movies, SiL, FoML, sex, bankcruptcy (all tags)
My wife took my son with her to her third grade class on Halloween figuring he wasn't likely to miss anything in his kindergarten class. At one point, he attempted to display his writing prowess by writing "boo" on the whiteboard. Unfortunately, it came out "boob". Hilarity ensued.

Yesterday as we swept the driveway of leaves he informed me "doing hard work is good because if you do it you won't have so much hard work to do".
My wife and I escaped to see Nightmare Before Christmas 3d. This is only the second 3d movie I have seen (after Captain EO) and the first feature length. It's not hard to see why this never catches on. It is hard to think of a more ideal candidate for 3d treatment and yet it honestly didn't add much. Both my wife and I felt cross-eyed after an hour.
I've been vaguely following the screenwriters strike and it strikes me that for the TV guys at least, it is squabbling over an ever decreasing pie. I know for myself I am watching less and less TV (and fewer and fewer movies) in favor of other pursuits. There are currently only four shows I watch, "Battlestar Galactica", "Heroes", "The Office" and "Lost". All of these but "The Office" have gotten annoying enough that I'm not entirely sure I'd miss them. "Heroes", in fact, I've been on the verge of deleting from the DVR.
Work has been a bit frustrating because of dealing with a platform that is 90% there to being a real OS. Nothing like depending on a language feature and then discovering after 100k lines of code is written that it doesn't quite work. I'd probably get fired if I said more.
The SiL may avoid bankruptcy, assuming her house sells. I guess she's seen some reason, though our offer to give her my '88 Accord free of charge so that she can sell her newer car and stop making payments has fallen on deaf ears. She claims that her VW bug gets 50 a gallon and thus is a smarter thing to drive than my Accord, which gets only 35 mpg. Something's wrong with that picture.
I really should clean the gutters. And hire a gardener.
< Sunday night | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My son the inciter | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
With a 15 mpg difference by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 06:24:59 PM EST
And gas at three dollars per gallon, SiL likely only has to drive three or four thousand miles per week or so to make the bug pay for itself over the accord.

Cicero, The Republic
True by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 06:44:04 AM EST
But she's in denial of she thinks a VW bug gets 50 mpg! Add to that the fact that the Accord was offered free and she's still making $500/month payments on the bug. (This is not an old one but rather one she bought new a couple years ago.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Well, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 08:56:47 AM EST
It's easier looking innumerate and dim than like someone greedy and insecure who's too proud to take the help that they need.

Oh, duh by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 09:00:13 AM EST
I didn't even notice the miles/per week figure you gave. :-)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I feel your pain regarding the work thing by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 06:43:44 PM EST
Man, it sounds so similar to what I'm going through!  How eerie.
busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution
WIPO: by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 09:06:49 PM EST

Whoa, Hollywood still has screen writers? I figured it was all reality show by now...

It is by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:40:02 AM EST
but reality shows are totally scripted.

Duh.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:53:28 AM EST
but I'm pretty sure they're scripted by amateurs, high school interns, and bloggers. What else explains Suicide Girls ever being referenced on network tv?
Point taken by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:59:14 AM EST
What!? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 06:45:54 AM EST
The biggest loser is faked!?

I think I'm going to go cry.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Not faked by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 07:48:29 AM EST
Completely disagree wrt television shows by theantix (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 09:50:41 PM EST
In my opinion, the best of television right now is far outshining the film industry.

Don't get me wrong... watching whatever show is on the boo tube when you collapse on the couch, that sucks.  But many of today's shows are serial dramas which are quite interesting when you watch them without commercials and in sequence.  Two in particular missing from your list include the fabulous "Dexter" and "Weeds".

But anyhow, if those shows are getting annoying, just let them build up and get the DVD when the season is over.  When you watch 3+ a week you really get into the characters and the more subtle story arcs, and you lose some of the expectations game that comes with watching it as it goes.

____________________________________
mns: oh, dude, join my facebook group!

Also, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:55:07 AM EST
LENNYYYYYYYYYYYY!
It is not a matter of quality by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 06:48:46 AM EST
Twenty years ago I used to come home and turned on the tube for a couple hours every night. These days, I'm generally drawn in by the console and the computer and often let shows stack up on the DVR because I'm anxious to finish Folklore. There's just more competition for eyeballs than there used to be.

I've had movies that I actively want to see sitting next to my TV for weeks.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Where did you sit in the theater? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:22:13 AM EST
My son and I sat in the back, which seemed great until as we were leaving we noticed that the closer you got to the screen, the more impressive the 3D effects were.

Next time, we're sitting closer.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin

Hm... by jared (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:54:50 AM EST
BSG jumped the shark a long time ago for me, and Heroes did itself in (IMO) part way during its first season.  Haven't watched either since.

The Office is still good, and I joined Lost in Season 3 and it's been hit and miss.  Some episodes are great while others seem to go a little crazy.

I'm also enjoying "Brothers and Sisters" on ABC and "Chuck" and "Life" on NBC (even though they are formulaic).

My son the inciter | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback