Print Story In search of decent ebooks.
Books
By Evil Cloaked User (Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 04:13:25 AM EST) (all tags)
I have discovered that my iPod Touch is quite a pleasant way to read ebooks. But finding books to read on it is less pleasant. Your help is requested.

I've been watching Dexter and decided I might like to read the books that the show is based on. I found the first two in the series as HTML ebooks on a torrent site. And then I wanted to to read the third, but the shops were closed, so I bought the ebook from mobipocket.com.

I'd installed the mobipocket reader under wine and read the promotional sample chapter without issue, so I was a tad distressed when the damn thing crapped out on the full book.

So not only can I not read my ebook on my iPod, I can't read it without rebooting into windows.

So, are there any decent sites for buying uncrippled ebooks? Or are there any nice easy ways to uncripple an already crippled ebook? I'd always been lead to believe it was an easy DRM to crack, but my google-fu is failing me.

And please, please, don't mention Project Gutenberg.
< Hello I'm Herm Edwards | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
In search of decent ebooks. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
unhelpful comment by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 04:55:45 AM EST
Husband bought an ebook reader thing but he has stuffed it full of ancient SF from Gutenburg. After explaining to the mother how it all works, she then looked at it and asked him if he wrote the story himself. The one that clearly said 'by H.G. Wells' :(

You're married to H.G. Wells? by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 05:36:53 AM EST
Cool!

:P

Famous author here by johnny (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 05:51:10 AM EST
my books are available as free PDFs, does that count?

Some parts of some of them are also available as pdfs. Follow obvious sig to helpful site.
Buy my books, dammit!

got ethics? by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 07:40:14 AM EST

I used to have a link to an ebooks warez site, if you're interested let me know.

ebooks by Ugly (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 08:48:55 AM EST
Search torrentspy.com for "Library", and the top hit is 5.83 Gb of science fiction and fantasy books in various formats - PDF, DOC or RTF and LIT. That should keep you going for quite a while. The direct url is http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/1937513/Library.

To convert lit files to an unencrypted format, use a program called clit. You might find searching for that on the web problematic, but the home site url is  http://www.convertlit.com/. There are other similar tools available, but this one is free and works fine for me.

Dexter by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 27, 2007 at 07:16:25 AM EST
Watched it a few months ago. Series seems promising but you get the impression that it runs out of ideas about half way through and becomes implausible. YMMV.

In search of decent ebooks. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback