Print Story Only 28 days until Christmas
Family
By georgeha (Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 07:38:24 AM EST) hexity goodness, Cthulhu, cookies, RIASC (all tags)
is your shopping done?

Plus Sisters, Little Miss Sunshine, blanked on Black Friday, No Direction Home, Monstrous Regiment, painful hands, Arkham Horror, school choice update, lasses with glasses and less.

Poll: Favorite folkie?

That was a welcome week off, though I feel just as exhausted as I did before I took off. While I did sleep in most days, I found enough to do that I rarely sat around doing nothing.

My hands are a mess, and it's not all due to the colder, drier air. I spent hours in our attic, insulating one of our dormers (we have three). The studs are too narrow and too irregularly spaced to use fiberglass rolls, so I've been putting in furring strips for ventilation and then styrofoam. Because the attic is old, I breathed in lots of dirt and dust, and ended up getting a few small razor cuts on my fingers from styrofoam cutting. Ouchies.

I should have the one dormer completed with a few more hours of work, so I can then clean it up and use it for better storage, enabling to move some of the garbage picked crapped out of the garage so my poor snow covered Kawasaki has a safe home for winter.

Of course it didn't help that I was continually washing them Saturday evening. We made Christmas cutout cookies Friday evening (after six year old's friend went home, more to follow) and frosted them Saturday evening (after I got back from gaming, more to follow). Mrs. Ha decided to list a designer purse on ebay, so I alternated between mixing up frosting and then washing my hands to type on the computer to help her do her listing.

So six year old had a playdate with music_girl on Friday. Her dad came over too, I guess he wanted to check us out better before leaving her unattended, so we drank coffee and chatted for a few hours. He's in a well known local band who's lead singer had just died a few weeks previously. Wouldn't you know, we talked about the local scene, and a guy he jammed with at a benefit for lead singer's family was a good bud from high school. Good bud's band also was the only one to cover a song from lead singer's band.

In yet another RIASC moment, I ran into our neighbor at Weggies, who asked me about the Girl Scout cookies, so eleven year old delivered them last night. I also ran into an old co-worker.

We had Thanksgiving at my moms, my sister is too busy with school to host it. I got up early on Black Friday, but the particular bundle I was looking for was not available at either of the two KMarts or two Targets I went to. I may yet order online, as I told the woman at Target who was also looking for it, we have 5 more weeks to shop. All in all, a big waste of gas (I took the minivan, and the Tercel was so iced over I couldn't even unlock the door).

I don't know why I even went to KMart. I started at the closest one to the city, hoping that the demand would be less, but no luck, there was a huge crowd gathered outside, and they all went to electronics. I'm liking Target more and more, it's becoming my first choice.

Speaking of online buying, Mrs. Ha was ecstatic about her sweater selling. Now that I have a modest paypal balance, I may buy more gifts on ebay. Time to sell some more.

Gaming, yes, I did get some gaming in this week. I missed the monthly meet for familial reasons, but made up for it a week later, agreeing to meet some folks at Millenium. Rather than get into the old hex and counter, I played a few rounds of Arkham Horror, a co-operative boardgame based on the Cthulhu mythos. I don't know how well I like it, it's complex and it would take a few more tries to get into the flow of the game. I would give it another try, though.

I'm not giving up on the wargames though, during the time off I was able to play my first scenario in Panzer Grenadier: Afrika Korps, Fort Capuzzo. One less game out of my unplayed queue (good thing, I just ordered the free game Target Arnhem, a small one about Market Garden.

With the week off, we got into some movies. First up was The Sisters, the story of a three sisters and a brother in a academic family, based on a Chekhov play. The play origin showed, it was mostly talking, and talking dramatically. I was disappointed, I couldn't find any Star Trek influence.

Next up was an incomplete watching of the Bob Dylan pic, No Direction Home. I really dug this, it makes me want to load up my mp3 player with Dylan tunes, but Mrs. Ha was lukewarm, so we never finished up.

We must have been the last people in the world to see Little Miss Sunshine, which was Saturday nights choice. We were only going to watch a but and then go to bed, but it sucked us in. It was great, with some really really wrong moments.

The latest in my Discworld binge was Monstrous Regiment, a political type novel about a small, pugnacious country nearly losing a war and sending women (disguised as men) to the front. It's not a Vimes novel, though Vimes (and Angua and Shoe) have small parts. I enjoyed it, though I'm not so sure the clacks (apparently an 8 bit one hertz semaphore) Pratchett describes is as capable of the bandwidth he assigns to it, unless he's using imps or something to change the semaphores.

There is big news on the school front, eleven year old really like her tour of the smaller, more nurturing and cheaper Catholic school ( she went to the big one on Monday, didn't have a great time and then broke her glasses leaving, ouch, another $180 down the drain). Since the smaller school takes debt and medical expenses into account, we may even get some financial aid.

< In search of decent ebooks. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Only 28 days until Christmas | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Christmas Shopping... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:13:03 AM EST
I'm doomed.

10.5 year old made a wish list consisting entirely of toys for 6 year olds, which I know she'll be frustrated and bored with, but she didn't seem to realize that. Given her recent affectation with making videos I was thinking about her own digital camera...?

Troll Jr., doesn't want anything except a katana. A real one. He's a good kid but... a katana? Real "competition" grade blades go for $1k and up. Cheaper but still "real" blades go for $200 and up. Reading websites talking about the risks of killing a bystander because your hilt cracked and let the blade loose during a demonstration move also scares the carp out of me although part of me believes that's basic alarmism. I dunno.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Eleven year old got an Aiptek camera last year by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:20:08 AM EST
that took stills and movies that she's pretty happy with. Or maybe it was two years ago.

Buy Troll Junior his own steel and hammer, a make your own katana kit. Unless he's talking about the sport bike, in which case a Ninja 250 should be a reasonable facsimile.

Ninja 250 by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:30:15 AM EST
Would you believe that he's actually hostile to the idea of getting his driver's license?

Absolutely bizarre. I even told him I'd pay for driving school so he wouldn't have to put up with his old man as driving instructor.

I can't figure it out - I don't know what he's thinking about that....

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

I was a little reluctant to get mine by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:33:37 AM EST
though I don't remember why. I was able to get to all my friends houses on foot or on bike in a reasonable time, maybe I didn't see the need.

Yeah... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:01:09 AM EST
And, actually, I didn't get mine till I graduated college - it just didn't make sense to me to try and have a car when I went to school in the middle of a city.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Driving by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:26:08 AM EST
Had I known it would mean spending the next six years driving all my friends everywhere, I might have had second thoughts about the license/beater car.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh, and... WIPO: by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:32:51 AM EST
Eric Burdon

There is... a House... In New Orleans...

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

If it's any consolation... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:16:14 AM EST
I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine and I live on planet Earth.

Well what are you waiting for? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:23:13 AM EST

Heat death of the universe... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:45:09 AM EST
or viewing all of my backlog of "movies to see".. which comes first?

I've got cash money on the heat death by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 11:46:12 AM EST

of the universe. Which is not to say anything about your movie-watching abilities. Even if you only had three movies to see left, and watched all three of them at the same time, I'd still place money on "heat death of the universe" coming first.

Me by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 10:49:50 AM EST
So he can genuinely be the last.

I haven't seen it either by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 11:55:09 AM EST
I'm waiting for the intersection of a free night, having spending money that I'm willing to spend on a movie, and being in the mood to watch a movie.

Cicero, The Republic
Spend? Spend? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 12:05:11 PM EST
I'd like to say that I haven't spent money on a movie in months, but I just ordered a used Repo Man DVD off Amazon.

But, nearly all the movies I mention I get from the local IP depository. You can get them out for free with proof of local address, I don't know how the MPAA lets that happen.

The local IP repository by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 12:39:55 PM EST
I have to pay a very large amount in fines before they'll allow me to check out any further items.

Sometimes I wish I were young and cute so that the `library fairy' would visit me as it seems to visit my daughters.

Then again, maybe I'm glad I've never met the library fairy.

Cicero, The Republic
28 days until Christmas by lm (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 12:41:19 PM EST
That should have been the sequel to 28 Days Later. Infectified Santa! Ho! Ho! Ho!

Cicero, The Republic
Christmas Shopping by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 28, 2007 at 02:24:32 PM EST
Mrs Jimgon hit the stores the day after Thanksgiving at 5:00am.  I had to work or I would  have stayed home anyway.   So we're about  80% done.  Personally I just made my first purchase via the internets for a friend.

---------------
Yeah, thanks to the internet I have a lot done by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 02:03:17 AM EST
maybe 60%.