Print Story I am weak
Family
By georgeha (Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 07:51:59 AM EST) brewing, beer, dementia, ebay, head shrinking, filters (all tags)
we started the heat.

Plus Fur, Take the Lead, Hour of the Olympics, Vacation Under a Volcano, substance abuse, a good day at Goodwill, ebay and less.

Poll: Favorite programming fad?

Yeah, our heat is now on, I changed the filter and cranked it up, it's getting cold out. We expect snow next week.

Thank goodness it's Friday, it was an unusual week.

Last Friday night sucked, our next door neighbors had a loud party, there was screaming obscenities past midnight. It made Saturday a lazy day, though I did have the satisfaction of asking them to kick out loud party goers in the future. Sunday six year old had a Halloween party and Mrs. Ha went to the dementia ward to see her mom. I ended up with an hour to myself, Mrs. Ha in Buffalo, the kids at my parents, so I brewed a batch of red ale. It's fermenting nicely.

In other home made drug news, I was able to roast a half pound of beans the other night without setting off the smoke alarm. Removing the oven hood fan filter made all the difference, I must clean that sucker.

Monday I took off, it was sorely needed. It wasn't a nice day of lying around with Mrs. Ha either (who doesn't work Mondays), we had a psych appointment with eleven year old (which brings me to the daily health insurance rant, I paid for the appointment with my flex account credit card, and not they want proof it was for a medical reason, and not a latte or something, like what else can you get at a Dr's office? morons), and other errands, though we did manage a half hour at the Goodwill where I scored big! I got two pair of size 34 pants (which oddly fit me well, and my 32's are getting a little snug, what's up with that?), khaki J Crew with the tags attached and cocoa Banana Republic, for $10 total, and an unpunched copy of Acquire, from 1971 for 59 cents. Acquire is a great game, and if it were played with I might keep it and teach it to the girls. Unpunched I may get $30 on ebay for it, which is a very nice profit.

Speaking of ebay, my SSP's sold, for nearly $30, good money for something I considered tossing. I need to list some more stuff while they have 30% off listing fees.

Tuesday I was in training, an abbreviated class exposing us to the curriculum and concepts that the developers took involving a rugby term. At least I can now understand what they mean when they say they can't help since they're in an iteration loop, though I don't know how I can translate that to customer speak, other than promising help next year when we get better engineered.

Halloween was fun, the usual follow the kids around Porsche-family's neighborhood. It was a bigger group this year, which made some problems, six year old felt ignored because her best friend AF_girl showed up, and ended up monopolizing newspaper_girl, who six year old felt she had a special bond with. AF_girl can be an aggressive charmer. I was glad when Halloween was over, carving six pumpkins is plenty.

Speaking of six year old, she was sick this morning so she stayed home from school. My parents were able to come in for the morning so Mrs. Ha could go work. Speaking of Mrs. Ha's work, she's not happy, it's not a good fit for her. I'm stuck with walking the tightrope between sympathizing with her and encouraging her to get into the aptitude testing and training offered by a local agency due to her ADD. Until then, she's reading the want ads and complaining.

We watched a a few movies partially, neither one sucked us in enough to finish. The first aborted movie was Fur, something to do with Diane Arbus. We watched a little bit while our neighbors got rowdy, very nicely filmed but not very engaging, before stopping. The next night we tried the Antonia Banderas film Take the Lead. I imagine they pitched it as Welcome Back Kotter meets Dancing with the Stars. The dancing was nice, I thought Lauren Collins as token suburban white girl was quite cute, but sleep was more enticing than finishing this movie.

Six year old and I rode the trailer bike to the library to exchange videos, and also fill in the holes in our Magic Treehouse reading, which prompted us to skip rereading Hour of the Olympics, where Jack and Annie travel to ancient Greece and meet Plato. Six year old thought the illustrations reminded her of Vacation under the Volcano, which makes sense, they're both in the ancient Mediterranean, just separated by a few hundred years.

In real bike news, I got my oil seal and installed it, but haven't had the chance to take the Kawi out for a spin to see if it works.The Kawi's inspection is also expired, and I don't know if I'll have enough nice days left to do anything  with it until Spring. Another shitty riding season.

I know a fair amount of substance abusers (many of them kinfolk, at least those who prefer alcohol as a substance to abuse), many of whom I consider alcoholics. It's only lately that I've met a few people who call themselves alcoholics, or at least attend AA. It's an odd tidbit to know about someone, I try not to explain their odd behavior by it, and I know enough not to offer them beer or wine should they stop by. I do wonder how hard it is to find a compatible group if they move out of the area.

In an entirely unrelated topic, friends have invited us to their annual bonfire Saturday night. We've missed the last one or two to due illness and such, I fully intend to go to this one.

< I Had a Talk with My Man Last Night | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I am weak | 54 comments (54 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My doctors office by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:06:13 AM EST
Has a cafeteria on the main floor - one could go down there and buy some latte whilst waiting to be seen by the good doctor, although I'm guessing it would show up as fd srvc or some such thing on the billing line.

Maybe you should send the lovely Mrs. Ha to military school. That'll straighten her right out.

As a side note - am I the only one who is annoyed by the fact that my posting prefs are now static whereas they used to be dynamic? I have to keep switching back and forth from Auto Format to HTML.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I think she's passed the age of acceptance by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:30:11 AM EST

Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:42:19 AM EST
There's always the French Foreign Legion. I think they'll take just about anyone but that may require that you relocate overseas. But frankly I think that may work out for you given your propensity to drive little cars and ride motorized bicycles and whatnot.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Do you think they'd take me? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:57:50 AM EST
What with being old and being in poor health. I do have the German name, I know they like their Nazis.

Sure by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:03:45 AM EST
Or no, wait, upon further review it looks like neither one of you can go.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

What a hoot! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:08:52 AM EST
The Legion may not be all it's cracked up to be:

Theft is rampant within the ranks of the Legion. The Legion invariably attracts those of dubious character so you will eventually encounter this problem. Since you are paid large sums of money in cash, it can be difficult to protect it from opportunity seekers when your guard is down

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

ce las vie by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:14:48 AM EST
what are the age requirements for Blackwater?

My brain hurts trying to read that by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 09:39:00 AM EST
Even I know that should be spelted "c'est la vie."

Câlisse.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Hey, I'm American by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #27 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 09:45:02 AM EST
our official second language is Spanish, comprende?

Non. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #28 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 09:52:30 AM EST

Vive le Montréal libre.
42 by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #33 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 12:11:15 PM EST
They're in the phone book and they'll make house calls.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

I had to vote my wallet by barooo (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:11:17 AM EST
the ponderously slow language pays my bills.  The more I use it though, the more I hate it.  But languages are like that.  I think the nicest environment I've been exposed to is cocoa/objC on NeXT^H^H^H^HMac OS X.  But there's no future in that :)

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Oh I don't know by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:39:30 AM EST
The more I used C the more I liked it. I'm likely the one guy in that regard though.

I always hated the ponderously slow language. It's carpel tunnel just waiting to happen.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Hmmmm by barooo (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 12:33:59 PM EST
I like C.  I like Java itself, but the J2EE/Servlet/JDBC/etc. environment is hostile.  C with nice libraries is pleasant, as is Java.

The only thing about the language itself that really that bugs me is having to cast all the time when dealing with collections and algorithms.  I like templates.  I realize that modern java has generics, but we, like many companies, are still on 1.4 in production and probably will be until at least 2012 or so...

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I see a lot of votes for unnumbered lines by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:43:30 AM EST
which shook my world once I was exposed to something besides Basic.

programming fad WIPO: by webwench (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:49:48 AM EST
offshoring.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Fad?? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:55:15 AM EST
~not really a fad is it~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

thinking that it is successful sure is by discordia (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 12:41:47 PM EST

Offshoring is successful by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #30 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 10:51:24 AM EST
Thinking that it works to produce quality code is the fad.

---------------
depends on whether producing quality code by discordia (2.00 / 0) #35 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 05:17:41 PM EST
is a success metric or not

Offshore is about saving money by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #46 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 03:10:28 PM EST
It doesn't have anything to do with quality code.  So offshore is successful.  It saves money in the short term, and by the time the  long term kicks in the CIO is gone and all the  employees are already on the street.

---------------
if we want to confine the discussion by discordia (2.00 / 0) #48 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 07:43:32 PM EST
to your success metrics, thats one thing

and I'm not arguing that those metrics aren't what idiots in business use; far from it.

no, I'm arguing from a mid-to-long term sustainability perspective.  Offshoring is a failure.

I don't disagree by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #49 Fri Nov 09, 2007 at 02:50:04 PM EST
That's why I say it's a success, but it doesn't work.  It's a success by serving it's purpose.  It doesn't work even though it is successful.

---------------
wait, what? by discordia (2.00 / 0) #50 Fri Nov 09, 2007 at 03:38:10 PM EST
you can have something that is successful, but doesn't work?

this is Microsoft-style thinking, unless I'm mistaken

Nope, it's American business thinking by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #51 Sat Nov 10, 2007 at 06:22:46 AM EST
It depends on how you define success.  And every time I've seen offshoring discussed it's about reducing cost.  There's no focus on producing code that is maintainable long term.  It's always purely functional  to meet a long term goal.  Which  is why  it can  be successful and not actually work.  The definition of "work" here is usually  maintainable long term.

It reminds me of the definition of quality.  Most people  think quality is an intrinsic value, but the official project management definition is meeting or exceeding the  expectation of the customer.

---------------

which takes me back to my previous point by discordia (2.00 / 0) #52 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 08:45:55 AM EST

I don't like to restrict myself to those metrics.

Not my measure by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #53 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 02:32:02 PM EST
It's the measure of those doing the offshoring.  You have to use their metrics because they're the ones who decide if they meet their goals.

---------------
I don't think I have to use their metrics at all by discordia (2.00 / 0) #54 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 07:32:48 AM EST
and I think an important part of the debate is the validity of the metrics used to measure success.

That's not just limited to programming though by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:00:49 AM EST
but I added it, so you wouldn't have to abuse your superpowers.

As a corollary to wenchy's comment, by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 08:53:21 AM EST
Paired Programming with one programmer onshore and one offshore. And yes, I've lived that dream.

Did he have good parenting advice? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:25:41 AM EST

Yes! And it was all base on his by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:31:17 AM EST
childhood experiences, since he was too busy working 18 hours a day to have a family of his own. =;^)

Need multi-select: by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:20:22 AM EST
Here at $GERMAN_CO, we use: And I LOVE it.  Really.  After 18 months of doing this I'm honestly curious as to how other companies deliver software without following some sort of iterative scrum-like approach with true continuous integration (we integrate close to 1MLOC multiple times/day).

The only part that remotely sucks is the offshoring, but that only sucks when you need to speak to someone in India/Europe and it's 5PM East coast time.  We've worked around most of those issues by having those teams work on modules with few integration points.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Do any professional developers not use an IDE? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:34:58 AM EST
I reckon that was kind of a given.

You'd be surprised. by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:52:50 AM EST
No one on this project.  I've had the displeasure of working with 'developer' who though note/word pad were great 'coding' tools.  I've also seen folks who prefer to edit write in clearcase, using the default text edit to save then check in right on the server.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
If "vi" is an IDE by dmg (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 02:15:57 PM EST
Then no.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
i use vi or vim. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #29 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 06:47:33 PM EST
i'll use vc++ to debug, but if i'm just writing code, i have no need for an ide.

goto by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:48:08 AM EST
How do you roast beans that the smoke detector goes off? I roast green beans without smoke.
1 LB beans, with a light coat of olive oil
Spread in a jelly roll pan.
Roast at 450°F for 10 minutes.
Remove pan, stir the beans, roast for 10 minutes more.
Enjoy the yumminess.

I had no trouble finding a compatible AA group when I moved. They're not that different from place to place.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I have yet to try the oven by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:55:24 AM EST
I do them on the stove top in a cast iron skillet. How much control do you have over the roast, I nearly always end up at Full City or darker.

That's why I stir at 10 minutes by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 11:21:40 AM EST
They should be about half done. Some browning, but not burnt. Stir them to even out the cooking.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

You must have a better oven by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #37 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 02:14:00 AM EST
I still got the smoke alarm going off. The beans taste good, though.

Try a lower temperature by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #38 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 03:38:12 AM EST
Maybe get the oven calibrated.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It took about 25 minutes, too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #39 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 04:10:24 AM EST

wait... by barooo (2.00 / 0) #40 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 05:39:40 AM EST
What kind of beans are you talking about?

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I'm talking coffee by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #41 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 09:44:52 AM EST
I don't know what wiredog is talking about, I assumed coffee.

Green beans by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #43 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 02:32:37 AM EST
Not coffee.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

dayum, what kind of psychoactive affects by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #44 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 03:45:05 AM EST
do you get from the legume type green beans?

Well, when roasted by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #45 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 04:58:15 AM EST
they're very yummy, and some women regard them as an aphrodisiac.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Scrum? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #31 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 10:54:23 AM EST
Yes, project management for companies that don't want to pay for project management, but want to claim to have it.  Works well with offshoring to completely fuck up a companies systems in a way that  only a true blue dipshit CIO could appreciate.  Ooo, we have documentation that means nothing to support the system that doesn't work.  And it was all done cheaply.

---------------
Yeah, that's a rugby term by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #32 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 11:26:10 AM EST
most of our developers are onsite or in El Segundo, but we have outsourced some testing to Hooters in India. We also have lots of managers, line managers, program managers, managers out the ying yang.

Testing the waters then by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 04:21:19 PM EST
Start with testing and work your way into other areas.  One of the concerns  with outsourcing is that you don't want to go after the people who actually run the place too soon.  You don't want them getting scarred and screwing you over by quitting before you have a chance to screw them by firing them.  It's pretty standard stuff.

---------------
I hope not by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #36 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 02:11:34 AM EST
we haven't heard much good about the testing, and we did move some PCL development back. There are some major benefits with being colocated with the engineers developing the printers, too.

Well by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #47 Tue Nov 06, 2007 at 03:12:51 PM EST
I  hope it's not the case, but  I've seen it  be the case more often than I care to remember.

---------------
late to the party.. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #42 Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 11:32:36 AM EST
But I find working in teams is a tremendous boost to my productivity; two guys in tandem on a dumpster dive are much more effective than one guy.

The other thing I'm a big fan of is the thing that all programmers loathe: strict, on-going, code reviews. I worked on a big (50+ million LOC) project that had absolutely horrendous quality issues. We went to a policy of "no one commits to CVS until it'
s been approved by the peer review board". Membership in the PRB rotated weekly, no one got to lord it over their co-workers for more than one week, then it was their turn in barrel for 7 or 8 more.

When we first instituted the policy it took me months to get changes through, because people kept complaining about holes and side-effects. 2 years later, it was my turn to be the grinch who was constantly pointing out side effects and unintended consequences in other people's code, and the number of outstanding bugs dropped by 90%.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

I am weak | 54 comments (54 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback