Print Story It's FRIday!
By ana (Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 06:15:18 AM EST) WFC, NaNoWriMo, Attention Boston Infidels (all tags)
  • Stuff about the WFC
  • Things about dinner with Merekat in Boston
  • NaNoWriMo
  • Um... what else?

So as you may have noticed, voting is in progress for WFC7. Do have a read, enjoy, and vote, if you're into that kind of thing. I suppose voting will end sometime early next week, giving you one more weekend to do your reading while the stories are still anonymous.

Somehow this WFC has gotten to be less fun than the ones in the past, and I'm not entirely sure why. I've had my share of negative criticism, some of it quite constructive, some of it merely snarky and snide. Sincere criticism is, for the most part welcome. People doing the "I'm not an asshole, but I play one on the internet" game ruin the fun for at least some other people. Or reacting against previous negative reviews that should have been "i didn't read this in sufficient detail to get it" rather than "i don't get it, this sucks."

Anyway.

Merekat's in town. We had lunch with her yesterday. We had some trepidation since she represents herself as a picky eater, but fortunately she's mostly picky about vegetables, and Dim Sum is mostly about meat and seafood. It was fun.

We're having dinner with her tomorrow, Saturday Nov 3, at 5:00 pm at Redbones, in Davis Square. It might be nice to know who's coming, so we'll know when everyone's there. We're doing it early since some of us (read: me) have to get up early to sing the following morning, and some of us (mrkat) have airplanes to catch the following morning.

NaNoWriMo has begun. Yesterday I wrote a bit more than the 1700-ish word per day quota, adapting the world I first imagined for the WFC6 story for a longer-format fiction. I dunno if it'll go anywhere, or even produce a first draft worth editing or expanding into a finished product. But it's a bit different from anything I've done before.

The idea, if you don't know, is to write a 50,000 word novella in a month. Specifically, this month. Unsurprisingly, now that the month is underway, their site is swamped.

ooOOOoo, lunch now, with toxicfur, who's unexpectedly In Town for the nonce. Laters, everybody...

< cool old pics | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's FRIday! | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
no, no, it's FRY day by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 07:55:00 AM EST
where's the fishmonger now ?

Oh, right... forgot this one. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 07:57:36 AM EST
So last night I'm opening the mail.

Now the bookstore closest to $Institution is a co-op (prounouced coop, like with chickens). So people who once put down a buck two-ninety-eight for a membership are the official stockholders, and profits are distributed at the end of the year.

There's an envelope from the Coop. I show it to toxicfur, and, whilst tearing it open, murmur something like, "This is probably a check for, like, three dollars and twenty cents, or something."

Sure enough. It was a check for $3.20. Exactly.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

It's official. by jared (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 09:09:09 AM EST
You rule.  ;-)

is there ever by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 11:02:04 AM EST
"vegetaria" dim sum? im so intrigued by dim sum and i must have it! but me is afraid of all the meateries and fisheries that i am loathe to eat...

also, ana, i read about this tiny indian place by MIT called guru the caterer. haev you ever eaten there?

/vergetaria/vegetarian by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 11:02:35 AM EST

Um... by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 11:12:17 AM EST
no, I haven't eaten there, I don't think.

And there's some vegetable matter; tasty broccoli, for example, steamed and served with soy sauce. And various kinds of tofu preparations. Not sure what-all else. I think you can get spring rolls and such things.

If you go to a relatively authentic Dim Sum kind of a place, take along someone who speaks Mandarin, so you can find out what you're eating.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

I was sceptical by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 12:12:06 PM EST
so awesome! by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 12:26:02 PM EST
i want to go! thanks!

less fun by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 01:06:41 PM EST
i don't do the WFCs, but i can tell you what i've noticed about the MFCs (the few i've done). when they come so close together, it sorta stops being a fun project and starts being something you're always working on. it might be fun to do, but finishing one and then starting right in on the next one sorta makes it less fun. and the more often you do projects like that, the more often you're getting criticism.

i could also be totally wrong.
---------

Saturday by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 02:14:15 PM EST
My attendance looks even less likely than it had. The horizontal rain expected around 5 pm makes it even less so.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Dinner by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 02:48:41 AM EST
It's looking unlikely for me and D, too. I'm glad I was able to make it to lunch.

If part of the problem with WFC7 is the timing, then I apologize. What with NaNo and holidays and things, there'll be a built-in hiatus after this one, anyway, time for everyone to recharge, reset, recalibrate their psyches.

As far as the reviews, there are two criticisms -- no, complaints -- that bother me most. The first is "people didn't have enough fun writing this" (How the heck do you know? Why do you care how much fun they had? What impact does that have on your experience? Or do you mean, "I'd have preferred more inventive approaches"?) The other is "you didn't make it fun enough for me to read this" (therefore this whole exercise sucks) -- which has been addressed in the main voting story, I think.

I have no problem with "I didn't get this." It's the reader's loss, or the author's fault for not making it reasonably get-able. There is such a thing as setting the bar too high for how closely someone needs to read, or how many assumptions you make on what the reader knows; some readers will probably always fall on the "don't get it" side (waaaaait, are these characters lesbians?), but you have to decide where to draw the line. "This sucks," on the other hand, doesn't mean much except "this provoked strong emotion in this individual," so I tend to mentally filter it out.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Dinner by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 06:22:26 AM EST
Still planning it.

---------------
Awesome. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 06:39:07 AM EST
We're looking forward to it.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
The bank account by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 08:17:39 AM EST
tells me not to go out for dinner tonight. I will, however, be at Diesel getting the most sitting time possible out of the price of a cup of coffee and working on a major NaNo dump, possible diary, and finally reading the WFC.

Not having read the WFCs yet, and only scanning the comments, what I will say as far as the "lack of fun" is that Loneliness isn't a fun topic. Perhaps due to the fact that by definition one encounters loneliness alone, it's very easy when trying to write about it for the piece become autobiographical. Not such a bad thing on a site where most of the content is diaries, but one edits autobiography differently than other stories, and the criticism hits harder.

I was going to participate by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 09:39:57 AM EST
I was going to break the rules and everything.

But but BUT I couldn't do it, the idea I had got too serious, and too confined, and I just couldn't write it.

I think I'll make a specific effort to enter in one of each xFC flavour next year, I enjoy all of those things, though Dr v. will outdo me in any photo stuff, but you knew that already, what with his hobomacro getup.

Chill out, snowflake.

Cheating is encouraged by ana (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 09:47:57 AM EST
I'm not sure if I repeated that mantra this time around. I, for one, think more participation in these things is better. Though I have no ideas for the drug-related music fun challenge this time around.

And Dr.V's macro lens is extremely cool. I must make myself one (even though I've never actually bought a can of pringle's in my life).

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

You did by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 10:25:10 AM EST
and I'm aware -- it wouldn't be much fun if you couldn't break the rules where you find it gratifying.

I wish the erotic samples I found were a stash of drug related ones, because then the track posted in my recent hole entry would have been more refined and entered. And somewhat less NSFW. I did it for kicks, but it's growing on me to the point where I wish I hadn't opted for cheez at the end.

Someday I'll have to do a hiphop song for an MFC.

Oh BTW, as far as pringles go, the jalapeno ones (the can he used) are the best. Better yet, as far as japapeno flavoured chips go, pringles does it best. Of course you could use something else, but pringles cans are evidently ideal.

Chill out, snowflake.

Love is a drug... by ana (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 10:58:15 AM EST
isn't it? We're chemical computers; whatever changes us is a drug.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky