Print Story I wrote a Facebook app.
Trolling
By komet (Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 10:49:20 AM EST) (all tags)
Yes, finally, Facebook is a civilised place, for thanks to yours truly you can now play Mornington Crescent!

Programming against the Facebook API is a fucking pain. There are loads of rules about what you are allowed to do with the data. You are not allowed to save any personal data for more than 24 hours. You can't spam the profile. Etc.

It reminds me of programming against banking APIs, with the difference that those have some semblance of release management. The Facebook Developer channel has messages like "yeah, we pushed out some changes a week ago but never got round to telling you. P.S. API call X, Y and Z will be deprecated in 5 minutes." Hell.

Still. Check out my app and tell me how shit it is.

Oh, I also turned 34. It seems like only yesterday I turned 33 and puked my guts out with Driusan. Shit! Where does the time go?

< Jetsam | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I wrote a Facebook app. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
happy! by misslake (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 10:56:44 AM EST
birthday!

Thank! by komet (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:02:21 AM EST
You! :)

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
At last by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:03:41 AM EST
Finally a game with some class comes to Facebook!

Also, Happy birthday.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I submitted a Little Link :) by komet (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:08:50 AM EST
And thanks.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I finally got around to listening to ISIHAC by Greener (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:09:58 AM EST
on BBC radio's listen again service this weekend and was disappointed that they never played it.

Then I found a documentary on The Mighty Boosh and was happy again.

They don't play it every episode by komet (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:25:51 AM EST
try again next week, perhaps there will be a game on then.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I didn't expect that they would by Greener (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:49:08 AM EST
I was just kinda hoping since that's the first time I remembered to check.

Happy Birthday! by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 12:03:23 PM EST
Mornington Crescent looks excellent. I'll have a proper play when I've got a proper machine. I had a great and stupid facebook app idea, but I'm not sure how high up my priority list it is. It'd be implementing another radio show feature, but from Mark Radcliffe. Anyway,

Thanks by komet (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 12:23:07 PM EST
you can have my Child Molester's Scripting Language code if you want, but I dare say you'll get an allergic reaction from it.

Challenge me to a game any time.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Cheers, and will do. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 09:30:36 PM EST
I think I've only got ASP hosting right now, so I won't take you up on it. Also, I guess it's not too hard. I think my app will involve fake cricket. As a framework to stick banter on. Not that that says much about whether I could use your code. Which I'm sure is excellent.

But I'll start a game with you. Tomorrow. I seem to have spent the last 90 minutes here. But unlike normal, it's been hanging out, not killing time. Result.

Hipy Papy Bthuthda! by motty (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 12:31:41 PM EST
And thanks for the app. Have signed up etc. Please don't keep my personal information for more than 24 hours. TIA.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
I've seen the facebook dudes on the train by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 01:25:42 PM EST
Pretty typical overconfident silicon valley slackers.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I hate Zuckerberg's fleece by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 01:33:19 PM EST
Even more so, now I realise that he's wearing it in Mountain View, not Boston.

If you're a billionaire, buy a goddamm merino fleece. That's my final word on the subject.

That was a pretty great birthday party. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 01:25:49 PM EST
Did you ever write a diary about passing out in front of the police station?

We should do it again sometime.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Happy Birthday..... 34 eh! by TPD (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 02:05:33 PM EST
You've caught me up... but not for long!

I look forward to playing Mornington Crescent it's what facebook has been crying out for.... Also (probably like everyone else here)  makes me think I should get off my ARSE and write that killer  (s/Killer/shit) facebook app I was thinking about.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Happy birthday you youngin' by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 02:24:07 PM EST
I r5eckon I should get a Facebook account.

Don't bother. by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 03:32:12 PM EST
It's worse than here.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

u r my he-ρ by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 04:45:47 PM EST
Who's up for a round? Hewthorne & Higgenbottom's rules (1912, rev. 1926, 1941) Come on you Elephant & Castle-camping pussies!

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Follow the moneeeeyyyyy by rizzo (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 04:54:49 PM EST
Hey all you Facebooker peoples: you should definitely read my new diary about Facebook. Like right now. No, put down the cat, drop the shaver, and wash the astroglide off -- this one's a must-read.

Happy birthday! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 11:43:31 PM EST
And hopefully a happy finish.

I wrote a Facebook app. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback