Print Story It must be a good school, they bake cookies
By georgeha (Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:10:22 AM EST) beer, school choice, cybex, discworld (all tags)
Plus, Wee Free Men, Mad Hot ballroom, that wonderful pain, sleepover, goodbye server room, at least it was less than $500, and less.

Poll: What indicates a good middle school/junior high?

Another week, two more middle school open houses. Late last week it was for the nearest middle school, a few blocks to the north, across from Sticky Lips barbeque. Oddly enough, when I was in high school I visited this school for the weekend, they were hosting the all county band. It didn't make much of an impression upon the youthful me, which I suppose is good, I imagine we suburban kids were all anxious about visiting the big bad high school in the big bad city.

Of course we saw a classmate of eleven year old's, and also a mom and kid I recognized from the Wilson Open House. More interestingly, we saw an old roommate/best friend of Mrs. Ha's, who has a daughter 5 months older than eleven year old. Apparently her oldest daughter is a junior there. Yet another RIASC.

This high school had a strong vocational bend, they have a firefighter's program, a teacher's program, an IT program and a restaurant program (handing out just out of the oven chocolate chip cookies). They also have a new expeditionary learning program, which is what our elementary school is based on. Eleven year old does well in that sort of curriculum.

Eleven year old liked it, but I'm not sure how much of it was the cookie. She did say she liked the torn apart computers in the IT lab, I told her I have that in the basement. Six year old was her usual charming self, asking tons of questions and embarassing eleven year old.

Last night was another local middle/high school, across from an old apartment of ours. Again, we saw old roommate and her daughter, as well as another mom and girl from eleven year old's class. This one wasn't as impressive as the other ones, even eleven year old picked up on it and actually expressed a preference. Good, she's starting to care about where she spends the next 6 years.

Since the kids had Monday off, Mrs. Ha decided Sunday night would be a good night for a sleepover, and let eleven year old invite newspaper_girl over. The last time we tried a friend sleepover (Porsche_girl) it didn't work, mostly because six year old and eleven year old fought over who was sleeping wear. This time we laid out those boundaries and expectations ahead of time, six year old would sleep in her normal bedroom, and go to bed before the big girls, who would sleep in the bedroom being renovated in the bunkbeds.

It worked very well, we let the older girls stay up later, they made brownies with an extra helping of chocolate chips. While the brownies baked, we played Ticket to Ride, eleven year old won while newspaper_girl and I nearly tied for last.

In ebay news, the few items I can find vastly underpriced at the thrift stores are sold very well, too bad I can't scale that up much. Mrs. Ha is still planning on doing this, we haven't had time to walk her through listing stuff on ebay. I'm being patient.

Sadly, the money is a drop in the bucket to what we need. The van needed a new coolant pipe, it was steaming and sticking. That bill ran under $500. My dentist also told me I need two crowns, which will set me back about $1500 after insurance.

In beer news, I kegged my red ale on Sunday, I'm thinking tonight or Friday would be a good tapping day. It's getting cold enough now that I'm ready to switch to lager. I can't wait, I haven't had my honey lager in years.

I got a chance for a good workout on Saturday, as Mrs. Ha came to swimming to watch the girls, leaving me free to use the elliptical and the cybex machines. The sulfasalzine is really helping, even though I hadn't done weights in 9 months, I was close to where I was before my arthritic attack.

$corp is big on recycling and being green ( we implemented rohs since we sell lots of stuff in Europe). They had a recycling day earlier this week and I was able to drop off, for free, a small server room's worth of equipment. Two monitors (including that nifty rotating one), a Mac, 4 PCs, and some small appliances. For my geek cred I still  have 5 PC's at home (only two are running).

We watched Mad Hot Ballroom last week. Good if you like to watch elementary school kids learn to dance. We were hoping for insights into urban schools.

I've been alternating guard novels with other discworld novels, this week was an other,
Wee Free Men, a story of a nine year old girl who rescues her brother from an incursing world. Much more of a fantasy bend than I'm used to, worth reading but not my favorite.

That Gen X whinge prompted me to look up some pictures of Bethlehem Steel in Lackawanna. As kid we would drive past the mill going into to Buffalo, it seemed to stretch for miles and miles. I was always curious about what it was like working there, the pictures give a little clue. I'm glad I don't have to work there, though, it would haved sucked to have fallen into an active open hearth furnace.

< it's never funny when someone says, "it's funny how..." | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It must be a good school, they bake cookies | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wait a minute here by Bob Abooey (3.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:28:53 AM EST
a Mac, 4 PCs - I still  have 5 PC's at home

You mean you had NINE Pc's at home? 9???? Good lord man, please tell me you didn't have a beowulf cluster in your basement...

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

They weren't all running by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:33:38 AM EST
right now, at home, I have
newish Dell running XP
older Celeron 600 Dell dual booting Win2k/whorey hedgehog

both running

Then an HP P2/400 running Win 95, waiting to be connected.

Plus an older monorail tower I kept so I would have a tower if I ever had the urger to build a newer comp.

Plus a 486slc50 mono lexbook laptop, a Mac Powerbook laptop, and an old work P75 armada laptop.

That's seven, but I might have thrown out the powerbook.

Around the turn of the century I was writing books on networking, so I needed a few computers to test networking. Now, two computers is barely enough, what with the kids and Mrs. Ha.

You let your kids use a computer? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:54:37 AM EST
Aren't you afraid they'll turn into hackers? That's might liberal of you. You know - I've never owned a laptop, I wonder if I can find an old one on ebay that would still be functional?

I remember reading your book - I thought the ending was great when Ahab finally gets his SAMBA configured properly just before the White Whale breaks the ship in half with his tail. Good stuff.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Not myspace or facebook by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:03:47 AM EST
mostly club penguin, nik, and sometimes ebay.

Laptops are nice when you're sitting on the couch and you want to surf using wifi, though I don't know if you can hook up wifi to dial up. Maybe you can leech off your neighbors.

I could get a WiFi router by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:12:08 AM EST
I've got a loonux boxen that acts as an Internet server (you never want to connect a Windows box directly to the net ya know) which runs into a little router which could easily be replaced with a WiFi type router.

But truth be told I don't have any need to surf from the couch. Playing nethack on the can would be cool though - I haven't been able to do that since my Linux PDA (I can't recall the name of that beast) stopped booting.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Vizor? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:13:29 AM EST

No by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:18:02 AM EST
It came out near then end of the dot com boom and the company went out of business about 6 months after I bought mine. It was really cool looking - it had a plastic flip top like a star trek communication device.

I think Hulver bought one too. Some of them had some serious bugs where they would go to sleep and never wake up which I seem to recall happened to Hulvers.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Found it by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:19:34 AM EST
The Agenda VR3.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

i got one of those for my ex by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:43:22 PM EST
he played with it for a couple of weeks then never touched it again.

I suspect most people do that with PDA's by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 03:51:21 AM EST
I used mine quite a bit. I had a spreadsheet program on it and an eBook reader that worked quite well. Plus I had nethack too, although the interface didn't work so great for that as you really need a keyboard.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I never could get mine to work. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 10:11:07 PM EST
It had a fault that made it drain batteries in a day.

Shame, it was a neat toy.

I flogged it on ebay.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I was lucky with mine by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 03:55:27 AM EST
It worked quite well. In fact after I updated it with one of the Snow Romdisk it was much faster and pretty functional for most basic stuff. With another 16 megs of ram it would have been a great little device.

Plus it was really cool to have a bash shell on a PDA.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

If we;re counting scrap PCs, I've got a dozen by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:52:48 AM EST
plus some spare parts. Seven working ones.

Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 10:06:25 AM EST
I guess I've got three PC's, a Sun SpacServer and an RS6000, so I've got 2 computers and 3 PC's, all in working condition.

One PC is a PII266 which will be tossed pretty soon as I don't have a use for it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

RIASC? by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:37:07 AM EST
RIASC    Registro Italiano Auto Storiche Citro├źn (Italian)
RIASC    Rhode Island Association of Student Councils
RIASC    Royal Indian Army Service Corps

?

Rochester is a small city by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:41:17 AM EST
ours, not yours. It's even odds that whenever I attend some public function, I'll run into someone I  know. If it involves white liberals living in the city with school age children, it's about a  90% chance.

WIPO:It's part of the by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 08:51:42 AM EST
Fairfax or Loudon County Public Schools here in NoVa. Private schools around here can't compete on quality. Except at the very tippy-top, where the middle and high schools are harder to get into than the Ivy League. Even then, they're not all that much better. More about bragging rights for the parents ("Little Jonnie goes to Sidwell Friends!") than a good education.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

weird, by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 03:32:20 PM EST
I would have said that about Montgomery County (right across the Potomac for the rest of you) from roughly when I was school aged till I moved here. Not sure what happened.

Wumpus

From an old Letterman top ten list: Lots of asian students*.

* for you limeys, in the US "asian" means cultures heavily influenced by Confucius.

MoCo is still pretty good. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 04:28:56 AM EST
Maybe not as good as Fairfax, but better than 99% of public schools in the country.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO: Cyborg teacher/weapons-platforms. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:03:47 AM EST
I urge you to watch the hard-hitting 1990 documentary Class of 1999 before making any education-related commitments. It will change the way you think about the American education system.

And maybe the way you think about killer cyborg teacher/weapons-platforms.

But probably not.

I mean, I still felt the same way about killer cyborg teacher/weapons-platforms as I did before seeing the film. But man, it opened my eyes with regards to the educational system.

wee free men, and tiffany series in general by discordia (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:06:02 AM EST
very light reading.  not his best, but sometimes entertaining.

Yeah, but I feel I should give them a fair chance by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:30:44 AM EST

if you read them with the right expectation by discordia (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 02:13:04 PM EST
they're just fine

I worked briefly in the offices of the Armco Steel by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Nov 15, 2007 at 09:59:28 AM EST
plant on Buffalo Bayou just east of Houston. Although I was just a desk jock I did do things like stand within 100 feet of the boxcar sized (they were on flatcars to move between parts of the plant) ingot molds full of steel. Even at that distance, you could get burned.

WIPO: by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Nov 16, 2007 at 04:30:57 AM EST
Teachers refrain from "dating" their students.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here