Print Story We aren't the saviors we wish we were.
By blixco (Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 01:33:44 PM EST) (all tags)
Our lives are in our hands.

It's a stupid new thing.  There's probably been something like it, maybe, but it wasn't like now, where we're all connected in some visible way.  Our lives on paper.

The woman I had lunch with today is brave, reckless, and someone that I cannot imagine not knowing, someone I crave to speak to, the way our conversations range and wander.  She's also done, completely, with the way her life is working.  Her and her husband are going to just not go to work anymore.

Take seven months off.

Travel the world.

Sure, it may not happen due to something unforeseen, but their plan is: fuck right the hell off.  Get out of town.  Touch the horizon.

Me, I'm in my hamster wheel, like my forefathers, working my ass off.  My retirement funds will fund my wife quite well once I am dead.  We all work until we die.  It's what we do.

But she's going to take some time away from that, risk her retirement savings, spend her future self on the escape.  And goddamn, what an escape.

I can see it now, some beach in Vietnam, the sun setting, the world turning, and profit and loss as foreign as she will be to me.

I love that she will do this reckless thing, this leaving home, this ditching what she can to get the most out of her days and hours on the planet.

My hamster wheel looks awfully small from that beach.

< on tuesday | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
We aren't the saviors we wish we were. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
what the hell? by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 02:04:49 PM EST
total infringement on my ideas. I demand compensation.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I'm claiming prior art. /nt by Greener (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 02:20:36 PM EST

I did math today by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 02:15:25 PM EST
Looking at what my life is currently looking like.   I  spend more than one-third of my life at work  or commuting to work.  I spend a third sleeping.  So two-thirds of my life are already spent for me.   That leaves another third for what?  Eating, bathing, mowing the lawn, buying food.  No wonder why I'm miserable right now.   Leisure time?  What the fuck is that anymore?  I'm likely going to have to give up all my volunteerism in order to get back enough time to spend with my kids.  Two hours a night and weekends makes me feel like I'm divorced.  If I didn't have kids I would  walk away from it all and let the  bill collectors try to  find  me.

---------------
So you're in a hamster wheel? by atreides (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 04:00:07 PM EST
Well, unscrew the bolts and go off the track.  Then you can run your wheel anywhere you want...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

It's all about the plan. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 04:08:37 PM EST
In 10 years, my home will be paid off - I can then quit my full-time job and concentrate on only being a musician. Hell, I'll have enough time to practice and get into a real orchestra.

It's all about the plan.

I have a friend by theboz (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 07:43:51 PM EST
He got married, had a huge honeymoon where he took his bride literally around the world.  They started in Asia, with probably half a dozen stops in various countries there, went to all three North American nations, then went to Europe.  It took a few months, and I think they had a lot of fun.  After that trip though, he went back to something close to his normal life, just less fun.  Now he's fairly miserable.

There are also many small town people that get nervous when traveling.  They hate it, and compare everything by the quality of their hometown.  These people are happiest when they don't travel.

My point is that as nice as seven months of traveling sounds, to some people it will become just another pain in the ass task to go to a new place.  Hotels become miserable and you just want some stability and to use your own pillows.  I think the real key isn't so much the activity, but rather finding happiness in whatever you are doing.
- - - - -

In Viet Nam, the sun sets over the jungle. by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Nov 13, 2007 at 10:37:37 PM EST
Just sayin'.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

Did I say that it didn't? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 04:15:52 AM EST
Sheeesh.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
To a certain extent by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 04:41:51 AM EST
your near-constant ranting about being uncomfortable with your mundane existence make me wonder what I'm missing, because I don't seem to have much of a problem with my normal, boring-ass life.  Or rather, I think that the source of my unhappiness isn't that my life is normal and boring, but that it's not normal and boring enough (i.e. I don't have a house, wife, dog, 2.5 kids etc. yet).

Different strokes, I guess.

House, wife and kids by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 04:50:38 AM EST
Are an endless source of entertainment. No wonder you want them.

I think it must be something to do with being in the desert growing up.

some pseudocode for you by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 04:58:45 AM EST
wife++ ; kids++ ;
cash-- ; time-- ; sanity--; will_to_live-- ;

Well, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 06:49:39 AM EST
I do go on about it.  It's a pretty popular topic, though: movies, music, books, blogs in general....  My favorite media take on it was American Beauty, which had a harsh lesson: if you step out of your rut, your closeted self-hating Nazi neighbor will shoot you while his kid bangs your daughter.

You've still not experienced the grind of a large corporation, or the fun of a mortgage, or a whole bunch of other stuff, but my life is my own.

It's not a lesson.

Or a sample.

Or a template.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I guess it depends on what we by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 06:58:50 AM EST
are running away from, or what we think we're running away from.  Or perhaps what our biggest pain point.  If the other areas of my life were more on track, I might be more unhappy with my job.

I certainly have my moments of AFO&U.  I usually imagine moving to Alaska to be a bush pilot, or becoming a monk.

so by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 04:50:12 AM EST
your last sentence is just perfect. just perfect. it makes the diary. bravo.

platitudes by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 05:32:24 AM EST
But it may still be true. If you are always on the beach and never on the wheel, the beach becomes the wheel.

I think I need more sugar.

well put- by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Nov 14, 2007 at 06:16:28 AM EST
although i much prefer the wheel of the ocean, the beach, to human made spokes. anyday.