Print Story Soft Soap
By TheophileEscargot (Sun Oct 07, 2007 at 09:48:39 AM EST) Reading, Museums, Steam, MLP (all tags)
Museums. Reading: "Wintersmith". Web.

Museums
Saw the Millais exhibition at Tate Britain. Thought it was superb actually. There's one room full of grotesquely sickly-sweet child portraits, including the Pears soap girl, but the rest of it is actually very good: dramatic scenes, acute observation of expressions, lavishly beautiful nature backdrops, and technically superb. Highly recommended.

They're also holding a Turner Prize retrospective upstairs. Nice to see some of the highlights of yesteryear again, though that terrible wooden shed is as tedious as ever. Also has Damien Hirst's Mother and Child Divided (the split cow and calf) which I hadn't seen before. It's definitely disturbing to walk through, seeing the various internal organs clearly laid out on each side.

What I'm Reading
Finished Wintersmith: Terry Pratchett juvenile, which recently made it into paperback. Third one in the Tiffany Aching sequence. Pretty good, liked it better than the last one. Sticks fairly close to the formula, but decently done, mixing jokes and learning fairly well. Also advances the junior witches storyline a fair bit. Has a few nice touches: I liked Tir Nani Ogg.

What I'm Reading 2
Very slowly making my way through the audiobook of medieval romp "Baudolino" by Umberto Eco, on disk 7 out of 16. It's laugh-out-loud funny in places, but also terribly long-winded in others. Might have been better to go for the paper version.

Steam, Foreman
Steamed radishes are very nice: crispy and tasty. Much better than raw in salads.

Also tried some mutton chops from the farmer's market for a slight change. Not that impressed: cooked them a lot longer as instructed: they're supposed to be more flavourful but apart from a stronger aftertaste they didn't seem any tastier than lamb chops.

Web
Implausibly large breasts (NSFW). Too big even for voorheesleatherface I believe.

Computing even more misogynistic than Physics.

Croatian novelist on market literature and its strange resemblance to socialist realism.

Economics of dating.

Why the Left should learn to love market liberalism.

< The Amiga, back from the dead with AmigaOS 5.0 due out | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Soft Soap | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thanks for the Ugresic by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Oct 07, 2007 at 11:06:30 AM EST

She's a smart writer who had to go through her own turmoil of shit in the 90s after the breakup of Yugoslavia. I'm rather fond of her mid/late-90s volume, Culture of Lies, though I've not read her novels or most of her other essays.

Women in IT by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Oct 07, 2007 at 01:40:21 PM EST
Over the two decades I've worked in IT, it has been disturbing how the number of women has fallen.  In my first real job, in 1988, half the staff of six programmers was female.  I haven't worked with a female programmer in eight years.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Misogyny by Alan Crowe (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 08:02:49 AM EST
I greatly enjoyed Philip Greenspun's viciously contrarian account of why there are so few women in science.

Baudolino by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 02:36:14 PM EST
No, it's the same in print. There were places I felt like shouting "Get on with it!"
Heat, pressure, and time: the three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Dan Brown will rewrite it in about a decade by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 07:21:48 AM EST
It'll be much snappier then.

Mutton by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 12:59:11 AM EST
When I had it it was loads tastier than lamb, a massive difference. I think it's meant to hang for a while or something which probably makes a difference.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

It might need different cooking by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 09:19:06 AM EST
Roasting it might work better, so you can cook it for a long time without it drying out.
I grilled mine by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 11:57:52 PM EST
Can't remember which cut of meat it was now.

It was really dark red, almost purple. Very different from lamb.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Soft Soap | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback