Print Story Hey Bob
By jayhawk88 (Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 04:19:05 AM EST) (all tags)
Or anyone else who was watching that Yanks/Indians game last night, a quick question that's been bugging me.

Did Jeter forget how many outs there were in the 6th?

Indian's half of the 6th. Guys on 1st and 2nd, Peralta at the plate, 1 out. Peralta grounds to Jeter who flips to A-Rod at 3rd for the force out. 2 outs, then Lofton comes up and singles to center for another run, driving that Moose the Yanks had out on the mound out of the game.

Now, here's my question: Why wouldn't Jeter have gone for the double play? I'll admit I wasn't 100% locked into the action at that point but it didn't seem like that it would have been that tough of a DP, he surely would have had a decent chance at it. Not like it was a super slow roller he had to charge or anything, and it didn't eat him up. Looked like a pretty routine grounder, perfect for a DP. Is Peralta that fast? Getting the lead runner in that situation over 2 outs doesn't make sense, for not only the obvious "end of the inning" reason, but also because by getting the lead runner you've still got a guy on second in scoring position. Even if you don't pull the DP, with 2 outs the guy at 3rd really isn't hurting you any more than the guy at 2nd.

I don't know, like I say I was just kind of casually watching but it seemed like Jeter had a manner about him that indicated he might have thought there were two outs in the inning when he flipped it to A-Rod. Announcers didn't say anything about it either. Am I mistaken here?

Oh and good start for the Indians, here's hoping the lay the wood to the Yanks again today.

< on intensity | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hey Bob | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
i didn't see it by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 04:28:08 AM EST
as i was consumed by a top notch sec battle between the surprising wildcats and the up and coming gamecocks, but the way you describe it, it sure sounds like he should have gone for the double. you sure there was an out?

Positive by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 04:51:00 AM EST
Scroll down to "Indian's 6th".

Wow Kentucky was all the way up to 8th?

well they were a tad overrated by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 08:25:42 AM EST
but in college, a good QB that doesn't make mistakes (which was the case until last night) goes a long way. but south carolina looked pretty good to me, although i missed the third quarter. i think they'd be a tough game for anybody in the SEC, florida and lsu included.  oh man that game is going to be a killer...don't miss it.

I missed that by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 05:12:57 AM EST
I ate some baaaad Mexican food and had to visit the bathroom a number of times during the course of the game.

re: Peralta is rather slow of foot so it wasn't that.

The thing I found odd was Torre's handling of the pitching staff. He left both Wang and Ohlendorf in too long IMO. The way the Yanks can score runs they were still in it until he served Ohlendorf up as the sacrificial lamb.

Anyways - it was a good victory - I don't think the rest of them will be as easy.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

What I don't know about baseball strategy by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 05:29:29 AM EST
...can fill a book, since the last time I played competitively Reagan was probably in his first term, but I really don't see why you wouldn't go for two in that case. Cano had to have been in position at 2B; there was a runner at 2B and the grounder was to the 3B side so he didn't have anywhere else to go but to his bag. Jeter was going to his right to get the ball I think so it might have been a tough play but I mean come on, he's Derek Jeter. Again maybe I'm just imagining things but it really looked to me like he maybe thought there were two outs (or maybe he thought there were no outs).

It's weird, between Torre and Pinella, it's like these guys are more worried about setting their rotation up than winning Game 1. I know Wang has been their horse this year but personally I would have given the ball to the Rocket, at least he would have put the fear of God into some of the Indian hitters.

Were the runners moving? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 06:10:22 AM EST
If they were running on the pitch the only play he might have had would be at third, otherwise I don't know. Jeter is one clutch bastard - I can't imagine he would forget how many outs there were in a situation like that.

re: The Rocket may have a little left in the tank but he's old as dirt and as such he's gassed once he hits the 5th - which means you're into the BP - which is the weakness for the Yankees. I'm sure they wanted Wang to go deep into the 7th or 8th.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

That might be it by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 07:05:39 AM EST
I don't recall them saying "Runners going" or anything like that but again I was sort of half-watching at the time. Seems like an odd time and place to hit and run though.

If you're the Yanks though, you got the Rocket this year for two reasons. 1. You're season was falling apart early and you needed something, and 2. To be a post-season stud. What's the point is saving him for Game 3 if you're already down 2 games? Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, and yeah if Wang gives them 8 innings last night it's a great move. But it just seems to me that in a 5 game series like this, if you have a chance to steal Game 1 on the road by sending out your Hall of Fame big-game intimidating pitcher, you ought to take the shot.

it does seem odd by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 12:46:14 PM EST
I can't imagine any one out situation (inning or score) where you'd go for the force at third unless you're sure that you can't get the force at second, and if he thought there were two outs, first base would be the natural play.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Hey Bob | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback