Print Story Vacations rule
By jayhawk88 (Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 05:34:26 AM EST) (all tags)
Except for that whole coming back part.

One good thing about working for the state: I just took a week + 1 day of vacation, and I'll be back up to my 300 hour vacation max before I have my Christmas shopping done. I get paid probably 75% of what I could be making in the real world, but dammit, if I ever want to take 2 months off I'm golden.

Jenn and I were in KC this past Friday-Tuesday. Had a great time as we always do, ate at a couple "fancier" places than we usually go; a place called Cafe Trio and a seafood restaurant McCormick and Schmicks. I had a filet at Cafe Trio that was awesome. McCormick and Schmicks: eh. It was OK, and maybe I'm just showing my Kansas hick/redneck roots, but if you're going to get $35 for a "Mixed Grill" and then trot out a silver dollar sized filet, 1 shrimp, 1 scallop, and a business-card sized piece of salmon, it better be the best damn stuff I've ever tasted, which it wasn't. It was good, but next time we'll just go to KC Masterpiece twice.

The end of the week was a bit of a struggle, as I pulled a muscle in my back sometime Monday between waking up and getting out of the shower. It went from "Huh I pulled a muscle" on Monday to "Damn still a little sore" on Tuesday to "Oh look I can't lift my arm above my head" on Wednesday. Jenn took me to the doctor on Thursday, and I scored me some primo Soma and Loratab. I slept most of the remainder of Thursday, by Friday evening I was doing a lot better, Saturday I mowed the lawn and Sunday helped move bedroom furniture for my parents, with no ill effects. Yay drugs.

My parents were also babysitting my nephew Jordan Sunday, so got to see him again. He walks now, and apparently has decided it is worth his time to begin learning our crude, inefficient language. It is clear that my father has secured the position of Jordan's most trusted Lieutenant, and while he treated Jenn and I with some suspicion early on (having just woken from a slumber), by the end of the day it was clear that I too had ensured for myself a place in his Royal Court when Jordan's New World Order inevitably sweeps across the globe.

Other than that, not a whole lot. Jayhawks are 8-0, and surprisingly I'm not talking about my NCAA '08 dynasty. True Jayhawk fans are still waiting for the other shoe to drop (side note: Sorry for cursing the Tribe, Bob), but even the most pessimistic of us (i.e. My Father) admit that a 10 win season seems like a very real possibility at this point. That Mizzou/Hawk game at Arrowhead is going to be epic.

Also, A-Rod to the Royals. Make him part owner of the team if you have to Glass, just make it happen. Let him chase Bonds in the quiet safety of the Midwest, and draw 3 million a year. It would be glorious.

< WFC7: the Voting Story | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Vacations rule | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nothing like a friendly crowd by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 09:20:40 AM EST
At least nobody in KC would accuse him of “stat padding” while having an MVP season.
____
This is why by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 09:37:42 AM EST
I think he's a shoo-in for the Angels. They've got the money, he'll actually see pitches with Vlad in the lineup, and when they get beat in the first round nobody will really care that much.

I really do think KC would be a good fit though. They're a young team with some decent pitching and a lineup that's coming into it's own. If they would have had a bat like that in their lineup this year they probably win another 10 game easy. It won't happen, as Royals management pretty much hates Boras with a passion after he forced them trade Beltran for about 1 cent on the dollar (although it did end up getting us Teahan and Buck).

Angels make sense by duxup (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 10:52:46 AM EST
Yeah the Angels have proven to be competitive.  I think that will help them.  KC would be nice and personality conflicts aside their issue is that management haven't proven they know how to compete and get into the post season.  I would think A-Rod wants to get back into the playoffs.
____
He would double their payroll by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 09:46:08 AM EST
He's just not worth it at 30 million a year or whatever he'll get. Sure - he's the best player in the game right now, but I'd rather sign 2 great FA's at 15 mill a year or 3 at 10 than one Arod at 30. I can't imagine that the rest of the players on the team won't resent him when they look at their measly 2 million a year contract. That's why he was such a perfect fit for the Stinkees as 90% of that team is overpaid.

Plus - look at the Texas teams he played for. They never even made the playoffs and couldn't wait to unload his contract to the Yankees.

No sir - pAyrod just isn't worth it.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

They gave Meche by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 10:17:39 AM EST
$11 million a year and nobody around here seemed to mind. Granted that's a big difference from $30 large a year but still, superstars getting big contracts isn't exactly anything new in baseball, I don't think players really tend to "resent" guys that hit big paydays.

It would make a pretty big statement that the Royals are "playing for real". Yeah Texas sucked with A-Rod but they also had terrible pitching and not really that much help in their lineup.

I've got no delusions here: No way the Royals can probably afford to drop that kind of money on one player, and they won't. Teams like Cleveland have shown that if you can't get your payroll above $100 mil, the right way to go is to get young, underrated bats and throw most of your money at your pitchers.

I'm just saying that in jayhawk88 Fantasyland, this could work. The Royals have a brand spanking new TV deal, and have historically drawn significant fan interest from 4 or 5 states. KC will absolutely support a winning ballclub, and with A-Rod in the lineup would put 35k a night in Kauffman easy. KC is getting a new manager, is this off season making some new renovations to Kauffman, and has a good solid lineup and at least the possibility of a solid 4 man starting rotation in Bannister, Meche, Grienke and Davies. Kauffman isn't exactly Minutemaid or Coors Field, but it is hitter friendly: Hell Steve Balboni once hit 36 homers for us, George Brett had over 300 career homers, A-Rod could get 60 easy.

arod has a habit of choking too by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 12:09:31 PM EST
the greg norman disease. There are less consistent players that are capable of stepping up to the plate when arod cant - bonus, they are cheaper too.

cam