Print Story Things married couples do that I did for the first time
Cheese
By georgeha (Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 07:23:34 AM EST) depression, Concord, put another log on the fire, savages (all tags)
Plus, Naples, a tent just rightsized, sash cord, excused for being drugged up, kicked, Ghost Town at Sundown, Tonght on the Titanic, striking gold at the VOA and less.

Poll: Favorite Clerks quote?

That was a well deserved four and a half days off, though I did an awful lot of work around the house, so it wasn't like an all fun vacation. By now, that beneficial effects of the break are worn off.

We're redoing one of our bedrooms into a bright, cheerful girly room (which entails getting rid of the dove in magnolia tree wallpaper and repainting the windows). Two of the windows had cracked panes, so I thought it would be a good time to learn how to glaze windows.

Oh boy, right now I've used four sheets of glass to do two windows, one of which has to be redone. Glass isn't the most forgiving substance to work with. Have I mentioned the cuts on my hands?

On the positive side, I'm also replacing the sash cords on the windows, so they'll go up and down, and stay up and down with a stick. I think I'm going to pass on unsticking the top windows.

My parents took the girls camping down Bristol way, as they had Friday and Monday off. We agreed to join them Saturday through Sunday. I had been hoping to find a bigger tent on clearance sale, but no luck, so we went with our old 9x9 dome tent. The girls wanted to sleep with us, as did the dog, and this tent barely fit 4 people and a dog. It's also mostly waterproof, we got rained on during the night, and aside from a few soaked sleeves, we stayed dry.

Sunday was odd, we appeared to be in the fog, but as we headed down the mountain to the village of Naples, we saw we the tops of the mountains were in clouds. I took a few trips to Naples that day (better than being cramped together in a clammy camper), and I even bought the local specialty, a grape pie (made with Concord grapes). It was good and tasty, A+++, would eat again.

The dog really enjoyed camping. I'm not as sure myself, maybe with a bigger tent and better sleeping arrangements (we used an air mattress) so I could get some sleep, and less rain, thunder and fog. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be.

I ended up taking Friday afternoon off, since the kids were gone, as we had things to do. We did a thing that most married couples do, but we never had before, I added Mrs. Ha to my checking account, we now have a joint checking account. I'll let you all know how that works out.

We also browsed for a few hours at the VOA downtown. They don't sort their clothing, they just take donations (often from garage sales it seems) and dump them in a big bin. There were lots of bins there. If you wanted something, you had to go piece by piece through the bin, it's tedious work. Fortunately Mrs. Ha was there to keep my from buying unstylish jeans, as that was the only type I could find in my size. I did get two shirts, a pair of Khakis, and a large pair of Goretex Cabela hunting pants (khaki colored), that I plan on ebaying. The price is right, too, 50 cents a piece.

I really scored in the DVD department. I found a copy of Holy Grail, and Clerks, for 99 cents a piece. There  looked to be the contents of the Monty Python boxed set, but I didn't want to be greedy.

Later in the weekend we watched Clerks, I can hardly believe I watched that on my laptop on a plane (I must have used earphones). It's still funny. What's your favorite quote from Clerks?

I like Discworld novels that focus on Vimes and the Watch the most. More on that in a future diary.

In other book news, six year old and I finished Tonight on the Titanic, yet another Magic Treehouse book, where Jack and Annie end up on the Titanic hours before it sinks. It was pretty frightening, though it ended on the usual upbeat note (except for all the people who went down on the ship).

Ghost Town at Sundown is a Magic Treehouse book that sends Jack and Annie into a ghost town in the American southwest, and they end up reuniting a filly and her foal. For completist or horse fans.

Wednesday morning was hard. The kids had dental appointments (filling for eleven year old, cleaning for six year old), which required a Valium script called in (for eleven year old), and me taking off work, since Mrs. Ha doesn't feel comfortable enough to. It went okay, the Valium and nitrous helped, and I even picked up an Adderal Script while we were in the neighborhood. The trouble started when eleven year wasn't feeling well enough to go to school (I never mixed speed, valium and nitrous, so I have no idea how that feels). Six year got whiney and complained that eleven year old always get stuff. Then came the tears.

Then came the anger. Six year old finally agreed to go to school, and I was left with the ticklish problem of writing an excuse for my doped up daughter.

Last night sucked. I had a rough day at work, which is not common. Mrs. Ha had a rough day at work, which is very common. We had two people looking for support from their spouses, and having trouble providing it. That sucked. Our kids are turning into codependents, that really sucks.

Anyone know of any jobs that are hands on, repetive, have decent working environments, are social, and aren't too hung up on mistakes?

< Dizzy drunken fightin - on tequila white lightnin | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Things married couples do that I did for the first time | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I didn't know you didn't know how to glaze by debacle (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 07:47:50 AM EST
I was going to mention in one of your earlier diaries that you didn't sound like you knew what you were doing.

It wouldn't be bad if you had perfectly sized by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:07:27 AM EST
glass, but figuring out the correct size while leaving enough room to fit it in the frame and getting it cut to that size is not easy.

It needs about 3/32nds space on each edge by debacle (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:11:18 AM EST
To grow and shrink through the seasons.

Except the top part is a slot by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:13:29 AM EST
that the window goes into. And handcutting to 3/32nd precision is not easy.

A slot? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:18:32 AM EST
Are you cutting the glass yourself? That's a big no no. You will always fuck it up no matter how hard you try not to.

i'm going to try by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:22:33 AM EST
cutting it myself.

my dad pulled it off a few times by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:16:50 AM EST
I was amazed at how cutting glass works.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Write in... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:15:05 AM EST
"Well, you're livin' in denial and supressin' rage, muthafucka!"

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

WIPO by rizzo (4.00 / 3) #20 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 10:55:01 AM EST
"Hey, do you sell hubcaps for a '72 Pinto Hatchback?   Ooh...Mini Choc-O-Mazing!"

Alternate Write In... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 01:27:07 PM EST
"I'm gonna put the hookers in Times Square to shame with all the guys I go down on now!"

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Hey, friend: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:17:36 AM EST
"Anyone know of any jobs that are hands on, repetitive, have decent working environments, are social, and aren't too hung up on mistakes?"

When you find that job, let me know. I'll come work for you.

How open are sheltered workshops? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:22:09 AM EST

Oh, and Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:25:54 AM EST
  • "Can I interest you in subscribing to any of these magazines?" (BestBuy option)

• agree about vimes / discworld novels by discordia (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:41:36 AM EST
    although I like the Susan Death and No Such Dojo books as well

You want to know a secret? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 08:48:37 AM EST
    I'll be finishing THUD! this weekend. I can fully understand Vimes' parternal feelings.

Ah, clerks by barooo (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:07:14 AM EST
    I love that exchange...  "My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks"  "In a row?" then "Try not to suck any more dick on the way to the parking lot...  Hey you, come back here!"

man, i need a beefy taco now.
    -gzt
    I like replacing sash cords by lm (4.00 / 2) #15 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:20:47 AM EST
    It's one of the funnest home repairs I've encountered unless some rank idiot has painted over the wood work for the window. Once that gets done, replacing sash cords gets messy and tedious.

If my daughter were prescribed all of those pharmaceuticals, I'd write her an absence note that said in it's entirety, ``Please excuse my daughter's absence. She was on drugs and couldn't think straight.'' Fun stuff.

Cicero, The Republic
    I was going to write doped up by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #16 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:24:15 AM EST
    I settled on recovering from anestheia.

Many of our windows have that little pocket painted over, here comes messy and tedious time when I want to do it again.

mixed speed, valium and nitrous. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 10:13:52 AM EST
    I have.  Speed takes you up, valium takes you down, the combo takes you sideways.  Add in nitrous and you barf alot.  While laughing hysterically.

Earth First!
    (We can strip mine the rest later.)

No barfing, just walking unsteady by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 10:16:06 AM EST
    but then these weren't recreational doses, 5 mg of Adderal extended release and 5 mg of Valium.

5mg each? by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #19 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 10:50:01 AM EST
    That's no fun. Spiralx (and, in Teh Olde Days of Yore, me) wouldn't even have noticed that.

Earth First!
    (We can strip mine the rest later.)

what? by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 02:15:01 PM EST
    all that for a filling? wtf?
    ---------
    Her teeth are very sensitive by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 02:31:03 PM EST
    and she's very high strung. When she was a toddler, she had to go under for fillings.

ah! by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 3) #24 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 02:33:40 PM EST
    so they'll pretty much have to peel her off the ceiling when she gets her first pelvic exam, then?
    ---------
    Yuh know, I hope to God by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #25 Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 03:55:49 PM EST
    I don't have to take her to that.

Should have been multiple answer Poll... by haplopeart (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 10:45:20 AM EST
    ...there are just too many good quotes from Clerks!

Decisions can be hard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 11:05:07 AM EST