Print Story I want my winter dormancy
Sport
By georgeha (Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:42:57 AM EST) BCS Title game, Big Ten, dementia, knives (all tags)
where I don't see other people in my house for weeks!

Plus, the myth of the dumb college fotball player, serial killers and the return of Irish_girl, dying in slow motion, scavenging plans, I have a new drug, and less.

Poll: Next Holiday to look forward to?

I really did want a productive day, but our main server went down, and we'll be fsck'ing all day.

This was an extraordinarily social weekend, so much so I want a lonely winter dormant period.

First, we had Mrs. Ha's mom, and it was hard, she was more confused and frailer this time. Each visit it seems like another small part of her has died. At least Mrs. Ha's bro was able to drive her back home, that always eats into our Sunday and sucks a lot of gas when we have to do that.

While Mrs. Ha went to get her mom on Friday, preschool mom picked up our girls, so I had to play telephone tag to meet up with her, eventually rendesvousing at our house, at which point I invited them to stay for pizza.

Saturday Irish_girl stopped by, and she had to go get her sister for an emergency situation, leaving us to babysit her kids (4 months and 7) as well as MIL. Sure enough, she brought Irish_sister back, for the first time in our house since we kicked her out a few years back. It was a little strained, fortunately I had just read a book about racism and the Boston Strangler, A Death in Belmont, so we could talk about serial killers, a nice safe topic. The book was okay, not nearly as gripping as a Perfect Storm (if you like Junger), or Devil in the White City (if you like serial killers). But that's not all!

Later that day an excow-orker of Mrs. Ha's came by for a knife demonstration, we didn't buy any, but she got some credit and a small amount of money for cutting pennies and tomatoes.

Sunday the only unusual visitor was brother in law picking up MIL. We took a nap after, and I tried to play some Advanced Tobruk D-Day Rangers.

There's a myth out there that division 1 football players are dummy, with the usual three schools that graduate scholarships students at a higher rate then the student body (Notre Dame, Penn State and umm, Duke? Northwestern?) as a counterexample. Well, I think many of them are well versed in esoteric networking, as evidenced by how well Florida State explained routing to OSU.

My parents finally went to broadband, I convinced them to get DSL. In addition to a small referral bonus, I should be getting a new computer, one of the incentives to join up was a new stripped down Dell. So, once I get it I have to figure out what else it needs (RAM, DVD burner) and decide which of my two current PC's to scavenge, the PII-400 Win 98 box or the Celeron-600 Lunix box. It will probably be the PII-400, I can use the RAM out of that for the Lunix box, and put the HD into a USB 2.0 box for backup.

At the doctors yesterday I started on a new drug, Minocin, which is an antibiotic in the tetracycline family. This is going on the idea that rheumatiod arthritis is started/aggravated by some sort of microbe (klebsiella maybe) and the minocin kills them.

We took the tree down last night, we can call Christmas over. What's the next holiday to look forward to?

< on a measured life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I want my winter dormancy | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Chistmas by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:52:07 AM EST
We took most stuff down the day after Christmas.  This weekend I have to pull garland and bows off the porch.  Plus we have to put away or menorah and manger.

---------------
Errrm by Phage (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:58:30 AM EST
I know my grasp of religion is not that strong, but isn't the menorah a Jewish symbol/object ?

That it is by jimgon (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 07:01:27 AM EST
But I view Christianity is a perversion of Judaism, so it works.  The characters in the manger are also black.  It is a considerable distance from my Laughing Jesus which looks like Bob Marley.

Basically my entire house is meant to be an affront to the overly religious.

I myself am almost a Buddhist.

---------------

Belmont by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:56:42 AM EST
is Mitt Romney's home town.

Coincidence?
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

and there's no proof that Romney was not by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:57:57 AM EST
the Boston Strangler in the book, none whatsoever.

WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:57:19 AM EST
How could you leave out Australia Day ?

alright then, you can have a box by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 07:00:11 AM EST

George, by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 07:52:47 AM EST
blame global warming for stunting your winter dormancy. Seems that's the hip thing to do now. Pat AlGORE on the back for letting you know.

a lonely winter dormant period by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 07:58:03 AM EST
I'm hitting that now. Last weekend was the first since before Turkey Day that I had nothing to do.

So I cleaned the apartment. Yes, my life is just packed with excitement.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The next major holiday is today. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 10:11:05 AM EST
What, aren't you paying attention? It's

Keynote Day!

All must travel to the city of their birth and line up outside the Apple Store to be counted and to purchase their iPhone.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.

Can I smear heatsink paste from an AMD 400 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 10:24:58 AM EST
on my doorframe and be passed over?

Yes. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 11:05:11 AM EST
But then you have to "celebrate" with an 8 day install of Vista Home Server Edition.

It was Florida by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 11:55:18 AM EST
not Florida State.  The joke was good, though.

MLK by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 04:59:31 PM EST